1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dennis Spancake passes away

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by David J Comroe, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

It saddens me greatly to be the first to post on this subject. I certainly didn't know Dennis as well as some in the trapshooting community, but as a many-time squadmate, dinner partner, and beverage sharer of his in numerous states, I know enough to understand that we have lost one of the greatest individuals ever associated with this game.

Words alone cannot surmise the void now left in our sport. I would gladly give back every trophy that I ever won that he photographed to share just one more evening with Dennis listening to one of his many tales.

More information can be found at http://www.pssatrap.org/index1aa.htm as it is available.

RIP

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Dennis Spankcake passes away

Got the belated news early this morning. Trapshooting lost a great guy and good friend. Tammy and I extend our condolences!!

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I am soooo sad about hearing about this fine man and trapshooter. I am totally blown away! His greatness cannot be put into words. Trapshooter...Fisherman...Cigar Smoker.......He will be badly missed by all who knew him.................Sam Austin,"Uncle Sam", Edinboro, Pa.

4. FloridaTrapper

FloridaTrapper TS Member

Dennis will be missed by many, many people. A great personality, and a great gentleman. Rest in peace my friend.

Dick Betz

5. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

I did not know Dennis well but have often watched as Dennis and his friends enjoyed shooting in both Pa and Florida. He was one of the truly great, kind personalities in this game. His ever present, warm smile will be missed. Roger

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

A true gentleman and a great shooting friend who will be greatly missed

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

What a terrible loss to us. He was a true gentleman and sportsman who will be greatly missed

Ed Yanchok

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I am so sad. That is terrible news. I didn't know Dennis well but well enough to really feel fondly toward him.

He was a tremendous asset to trapshooting and a true gentleman. Thankfully I squadded with him a couple of times and I really enjoyed his perspective.

My best wishes go out to his family and friends. He will be missed.

Jerry Weger

9. vdt

vdt Active Member

lovely man,sure going to miss him....vdt

10. zinger

zinger Member

Oh this is very sad indeed...words can't descibe what a wonderful, funny man Dennis was, he will be sadly missed. Our hearts go out to Dot and the Spankcake family. Kim & Bruce Bateman

11. dedpair

dedpair Active Member

This is truly a sad day for Trapshooting. Dennis was one of the nicest people you could ever meet and I don't believe he had a mean bone in his body. He and Dot were the kinda of people who make you better by just knowing them and my heart goes out to her and their family. My prayers are with them and Goddbye to a Great Friend!!

Jeff Graupp

12. AlanM

AlanM Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to Dot and entire Spankcake family. He was truly a gentleman and fun to be around.

Alan Mellner

13. SILVER S 007

SILVER S 007 Member

Gosh what a shock. I knew and shot with Dennis for 20 some odd years a great guy and great shooter he will be missed by the many many friends he had. And the trapshooting world has lost a true champion.My thoughts go to the entire Spankcake family..

Bob. Meyers

14. TW

TW TS Member

Great shooter, better person. Trapshooting will not be the same without him.

Tom White
    ATA Delegate-Florida

15. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

Dennis M. Spancake
    McALISTERVILLE -- Dennis M. Spancake, 68, of RR2 McAlisterville, died at 11:03 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 4, 2007, in the emergency room of Lewistown Hospital.
    He was born Dec. 14, 1938, in Pine Grove, Schuylkill County, the son of the late Franklin M. and Nellie (Rarick) Spancake. His wife of 48 years, the former Dorothy L. "Dot" Lehr, whom he married June 13, 1959, survives.
    He was a 1956 graduate of Pine Grove High School and graduated from Millersville University with a bachelor of science degree in industrial arts.
    He was an industrial arts teacher for 31 years at Lehighton High School and East Juniata High School, retiring in 1991. In 1965, he started Spancake Studios, RR2 McAlisterville, retiring from there in 1996.
    Dennis was an avid outdoorsman who loved trap shooting, fishing and photography, but his greatest enjoyment came from spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren.
    In addition to his wife, he is survived by his children, Kim Kline and her husband Carl of Mount Olive, N.C., Roy Spancake and his wife Christina of Mechanicsburg and Greg Spancake and his wife Aldina of RR2 McAlisterville; one sister, Nancy Desmarias of New Hampshire; and four grandchildren.
    He was preceded in death by one sister, Jane Aungst.
    A viewing will be held from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursday, with the family present from 7 to 9 and a Masonic service at 8:45 by his fellow lodge members, and from 10 to 11 a.m. Friday at the Brown Funeral Home Inc., 16 Westfall St., McAlisterville, where the funeral will be conducted at 11 a.m. Friday.
    Interment will be private and held at the convenience of the family.
    The family will provide funeral flowers and kindly asks that memorial contributions be made in his memory to the Lost Creek Community Park, P.O. Box 37, McAlisterville, PA 17049, or the Pennsylvania State Shooters Association, P.O. Box 327, Elysburg, PA 17824.
    Published in The Daily Item on 11/6/2007.

16. DocRively

DocRively TS Member

I can't describe the huge void Dennis's passing leaves in our sport.

I hope we can all pick up the slack and fill the void with the same kindness, friendship, and laughter Dennis gave us all for so many years.

17. earlsue

earlsue TS Member

All those who didn't have the chance to know Dennis you will never know what a good and fun person he was. We truly lost one of the good ones. Don Cain

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Until I read his obituary, I didn't know that his son, Roy, and I live just a few miles from one another. I called yesterday and spoke with Dennis' daughter-in-law - I told her that Dennis' passing was a huge loss to the trapshooting community as a whole, not just here in Pennsylvania, and that I will mention Dennis in a future column.

Ed

19. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Sincere condolences to the Spancake family from all of the mine.

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

20. Golfbcc

Golfbcc TS Member

Dear Dot and Family,

It is a truly sad day. I always enjoyed visiting with Dennis and will always think of him when I see the wonderful pictures that he took of my kids in PA when winning a trophy. You will be truly missed.

Steve & Christina Bigras

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jeff spancake new hampshire