1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dennis DeValt Really Nailed It This Month

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

May 6, 2009
    Marcola Oregon
    Just received Dennis Devalt's monthly news letter in my email and think he really explained the mind thing that we shooters deal with every time we shoot. He really explained, in his opinion, what causes a person to flinch. Thinking of my own recent problem of a realease flinch he is exactly correct on what is happening. If some one can post a link to his letter here I think all would benifit from it. Great job Dennis.
  2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    There ya go.

Good article Dennis. I always wondered what was going on out there.

Bob Falfa
  3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Apr 28, 2006
    NW Wisconsin
    I could not agree more. The topic is on point and explained and written well.
  4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Interesting read. I think next time I go out I'll experiment by calling for the bird with a low gun only and just let my computer take take over from there.

In the past 6 weeks I've developed a nasty flinch. Going from a 92 average (sporting clays) to dropping 5-6 birds due to the flinch. I suspect that some of it may be due to a gravel hauler dumping its' load in my shoulder sometime while I slept unbeknownst to me. I shot 75 rounds of 12 ga. at a charity event last weekend and my shoulder was *killing* me.

Even the autoloader hurts. I may have to stick to the pop guns for awhile.
  5. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nov 11, 2010
    About 40 miles west of Chicago, IL
    WOW! I saw this happen this past weekend. "Walter" brought a new shooter to the club, "Jim". He was using a relatively new 1100 with a short barrel. It took a few minutes to get him comfortable with the gun - and the shooting procedure. He called for his FIRST clay and crushed it. He did the same with numbers 2 and 3. He missed four and someone told him he was "low". He began missing regularly, ending with a total score of 6 or 8. He repeated those scores on the next two rounds. Someone offered him a SBT trap gun with a 34 inch barrel - with the instructions to, "Just look at the target and pull the trigger. The gun will do the rest." I assume "Jim believed" and his brain took over. He broke 16 - with authority.

The key, then, is to get the conscious brain out of the way. One way for me is to keep my ear plugs in tight and stop listen to random advice. Thanks to Dennis for a great article - and to Carey for posting it here.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I have always said, if you are thinking right before, and right after, you call pull, you are done.
  7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I've known for some time now that I always shoot better when I was not thinking. Now I know why!!! To bad I have not found any way to seperate the two on a regular basis. I sure can't do it by tring!!! Just shooting to have fun, and be with family and friends is still a great way to start!!! Now lets all have some fun real soon now, and bring along someone like/love!!! Great time to be in the woods this time of year. break em all Jeff
  8. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Very well written -- gets to the core of instinctive shotgunning
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.