1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dems seek 22% gun tax and 50% tax on all ammo

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    THIS IS WHY YOU DO NOT VOTE FOR ANTI-GUN LIBERALS OR RINOS

Dem bill would trigger huge new taxes on guns, ammo

By Perry Chiaramonte Published August 26, 2013 FoxNews.com

A pair of Democratic lawmakers are proposing steep new taxes on handguns and ammunition, and tying the revenues to programs aimed at preventing gun violence.

Called the “Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act," the bill sponsored by William Pascrell, D-N.J., and Danny Davis, D-Ill., would nearly double the current 11 percent tax on handguns, while raising the levy on bullets and cartridges from 11 percent to 50 percent.

"This bill represents a major investment in the protection of our children and our communities, and reflects the long-term societal costs of gun and ammunition purchases in our country,” Pascrell said.

The lawmakers say the bill would generate $600 million per year, which would be used to fund law-enforcement and gun violence prevention.

Critics predicted defeat for the measure.

“What the anti-gun interests can’t ban, they want to tax it out of existence,” Alan Gottlieb, chairman for the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, told FoxNews.com. “It’s nothing more than confiscatory taxation.

“I doubt this bill will pass, but we will lobby against it if need be,” he added. “This is simply another shot against gun owners in this country.”

The bill would exempt all federal, state and local agencies, including police departments, from paying the tax.

The bill would also increase the transfer tax on all weapons (except antique guns) covered under the National Firearms Act (which excludes most common guns) from $200 to $500 and index to inflation and increase the transfer tax for any other weapon from $5 to $100.

The amendment will be voted upon when the House returns for the new session in the fall.

Davis, who represents a portion of Chicago which has been ravaged by gun violence in recent years, said money raised from the new taxes will go to good use.

"This legislation is a pro-active approach to reducing gun violence by using proven preventive programs which have been starved for funds until now," Davis said. "As part of a comprehensive, multidimensional strategy to reduce gun violence, this legislation closes major loopholes in tax law and lays out an equitable, long term, sustainable strategy to provide the requisite resources.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/26/house-dems-seek-to-tax-gun-owners-with-new-bill/?test=latestnews#ixzz2d7eQlhJS

2. 548

548 Guest

Don't forget how politics works. This bill has no chance of passing, and the bill's author knows that. He just wants to be able to tell his Chicago gun violence ravaged constituants what he has done to address the "problem". It's just politics, nothing to worry about.

On the flip side, this is exactly what the government did with the tobacco industry. The only difference is that public support for tobacco taxes is high.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

And you support this 548? After all...it is YOUR party.

4. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I can hardly wait to hear from the more enlightened among us when they point out that is has no bearing for trap shooters...
    dju

5. 3357

3357 Member

If it did pass it would devastate several industries and cost a lot of jobs. Just more solid liberal thinking.

6. 548

548 Guest

Setterman, to answer your question, no, I do not support this idea.

I do, however, support common sense legislation restricting military grade weapons from the general population. Not a popular opinion, but it is mine.

7. Brian in Oregon

Badge 548, what, exactly, do you define "military grade weapons" as?

Machineguns are already banned for new manufacture, and existing ones require a federal tax stamp and are priced beyond the reach of most people.

Or are you referring to semi-autos that have been around for 117 years?

8. Avatar

Actually, all military grade weapons I can think of are forbidden to the general public. When's the last time you tried to buy a tank, anti-aircraft missile, machinegun, hand grenade or even a light automatic assault rifle? Frankly, while I can see the practical concerns in forbidding private citizens military weapons, I suspect our founders would not have approved at all of police and soldiers being allowed better arms than our private citizens. In terms of the Second Amendment, one can, perhaps, find an exception for thing analogous to warships and cannons; but it is pretty hard to do that for any weapon capable of being carried by an individual. After all, the idea was that the government should fear an uprising by the well-armed citizenry.

9. Brian in Oregon

The fact is, citizens who are not members of the military are part of the "unorganized militia" as provided for by the Founding Fathers, and were expected to furnish their own arms during a crisis or war.

Speaking of cannons, in fact, back during the Revolutionary War, it was not unusual for rich citizens, or local citizens taking up a collection, to purchase or have made cannons for their own use. Used with buckshot or grapeshot, these were the primitive "machineguns" of their day as well as artillery.

And, ever hear of a Privateer? These were privately owned warships, by groups of citizens or an individual. Some hired captains, and some captained their own vessels. They had Letters of Marquee that authorized them to attack enemy vessels on behalf of the United States and to seize for themselves all assets from capture of enemy vessels. This booty was used to pay back investors, as well as the officers and crews of the privateer vessels. We would not have a country were it not for these privately owned warships.

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Careful Brian, your teaching History!! something the Public school has failed to teach for almost 2 generations(on purpose)!

Its helped create the present LIV'S.

"military grade weapons"

Has a nice "liberal" slant to it, don't it!!

Every firearm I own, at one time was a "military grade weapon". The "private" citizen developed them and then the Military took them on when it served their needs.

11. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

It seems that 548 forgets that the musket was a military grade weapon.

These crap bag dems will try anything no matter how low or ignorant

I hope by the next election year America wakes up and cleans the dumbocrats and their ilk out

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Never say never !!!' Good goosh 548 where is you brain !!!

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

548 said above, "I do, however, support common sense legislation restricting military grade weapons from the general population."

Whenever anyone appeals to "common sense", it means they have no rational support for their position.

14. Avatar

No, I think common sense speaks for itself. In terms of weapon restrictions, I think we can all agree that common sense argues private citizens should not be allowed to stockpile atomic weapons in their garages, and probably even that nut cases like Lanza should not be sold assault weapons. Beyond that, of course, we might argue...

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Guys,

I would have to say that Beretta 92's are "military grade weapons."

Same for numerous variations SIG and H & K pistols.

Ditto for numerous shotguns - in the past it would have been a Winchester or Remington pump gun, not sure what is standard issue today... Mossburg?

Interesting question for 548 - in that 'early' versions of the AR-15/M-16 platform are no longer issued to the military, then you would be fine with us owning them - right?? No longer "military grade" after all.

I'd love a full auto SP-1 M-16..., I guess a Thompson would be back on the plate too.

16. timberfaller

How many here have a Military grade sabre?? or a K-Bar? BOTH are Military grade weapons!

he he!!!

17. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I remember years ago, I was involved in the Junior NRA shooting team at our local Boy's Club.

We received 4 Winchester 52's in 22 caliber, that were packed in cosmoline in military boxes.

We cleaned, assembled, and sighted in these guns to use on our indoor range.

We were told they were training rifles for the military, so would that make all 22 caliber bolt action rifles Military grade weapons?

That would take in lots of our guns.

18. timberfaller

"That would take in lots of our guns."

Thats the liberals/Democrats goal and agenda!!!!!

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

"this bill represents a major investment in the protection of our children and communities"....

Oh please.....What do they think we are stupid?

How much has been spent on the war on drugs? Trillions? What has that got us in the last 40 years.....Nothing. In some areas 95% of the gun crimes are drug related.

Try morals and honesty for a change, and start it with a 2 parent family that gives a rat's butt, then push morals in our schools instead of all this social diversity BS. "Tolerance" is another clicky word for "we want you to accept us even if we have screw loose"

Respect for people is earned, not forced.

Really 548, do you think we've forgotten your comments during the last election?

20. Brian in Oregon

I guess 98 Mausers, 1903 Springfields and Remington 700s should be banned because they are "military grade weapons".

Ditto for Winchester 1897 and Model 12, Ithaca 37, Stevens pumps, Remington 870s and Mossberg pumps since they are "military grade weapons".

And the S&W Model 10 .38 Special is definitely a "military grade weapon", it's very name is the Model 10 Military & Police. For that matter, the Colt 1911 is also a "military grade weapon". Heck, the Colt Single Action ARMY is a "military grade weapon". My 1884 Trapdoor Springfield is a "military grade weapon".