1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Demand for Club West of Houston

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bwana64, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

Is there any demand for a private shooting club West of Houston? I own 50 acres with a house and barn, that I think would be a great venue for a private shooting club. The property is near Brookshire, TX. In the Houston area, we have Metropolitan Gun Club(trap only) one hour south of Houston, Greater Houston Gun Club (near town, but capped members at 1000 and now charging $3500 for a membership), American Shooting Centers on the West side, (public, poor equipment maintenance and $9 for a round of skeet or trap). Westside (SC only -members only), Rio Brazos (SW way out of town, SC only). There are also some places to shoot way up north near Conroe. I just wonder if there is demand for another club?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Build it and they will come.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Doesnt Charlie Long have a range in the Houston area?

4. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

This is a pdf map of many of the gun clubs in south Texas, courtesy of Mike and the Victoria Skeet and Trap club. Don't know about Charlie Long.

http://www.victoriaskeetandtrapclub.com/pdf/080123MapofSouthTexasranges.pdf

Charlie

5. machete

machete TS Member

If it's reasonably priced, sure. Trap's expensive in Houston.

I'm going to shoot some registered one day at HGC just so I can shoot at those fancy grounds.

6. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Live in Houston and don't think ATA can make it here - this is a sporting clays town. If you have trap, skeet, 5 stand and sporting then you have a chance. A lot of registered target competition here.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Texas can ALWAYS use another trap/shooting club..when I lived outside the big D taveling the hundreds of miles between clubs was tiring....I'm all for it in case I move that way again as retiring to Corpus Christi is enticing so I can fish or shoot every other day

8. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I am game,,

I Live in League City, Since moving here 15 years ago from Iowa I find there is no "Sportsmans Club "

Miss the days of going to the club and visiting with the older fellas and sharing stories, shooting trap, shooting skeet, and in the winter shooting the games.

Good times, great memories.

Let me know if I can be of help

Doug

9. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Charlie,

Thanks for adding my map I created for our gun club. Can't totally be sure that all the phone numbers haven't been changed, but it is a "pretty good" representation of what we have around our area of South Texas. When Bwana64 mentioned Metropolitan Gun Club, that IS Charlie Long's range, just north of Angleton. A great place to shoot trap. Most people just call it the Metro Gun Club (or Charlie's Place, lol).

Doug,

Being over in League City, you might want to search out the Greenwood Gun Club over near Lake Jackson, they have a little bit of everything, and lots of hunters and fishermen from the coastal area are members. Some are good friends of mine, just wished I could get over there more often. Don't know much about PSC (Pearland Sportsmans or Shooting Club), but I hear they have a lot to offer too, but that is just from reading about ranges from other sites.

You might also go to http://www.claytargetsonline.com (or something like that), quite a bit of info and contact numbers for clubs, or Cindy Barton's http://www.shooterspageTX.com, and there is a link on there about ranges around this area of the state too.

Hope this helps,

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

10. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

DGH, that is exactly what I had in mind. A place to hang out, tell stories, shoot, visit, shoot, smoke cigars, shoot, etc. A private club, yet open to newcomers.
    To all, thanks for your replies. This would probably take investors to get off the ground. I've got this property with a house that would be perfect for a club, but I've got to find a way to make it pay for itself, or sell it.
    Tom

11. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Bwana64,

Give me a shout sometime, you can find my contact numbers on our club's website (http://www.victoriaskeetandtrapclub.com), there is also a link for e-mail contact. Just a little tip from someone who designed the layout for our club, me; I have found that 50 acres, depending on how it is layed out, will limit the amount of shooting fields you can have. With 300 yards for shot outfall dead straight away, and if you put in a skeet field, that makes a lenght across the front 600 yards long, you definitely want to make sure you don't have any shot falling on property you don't own, or it could get really messy. Our range (land leased from the Victoria Airport Commission is approximately 50 acres, and we started from a clean slate. Layed out the skeet and trap fields so the are aligned per NSSA/ATA recommendations to the NorthEast. If you take a look at a "Google" map shot of the Victoria Regional Airport, you will see our club on the east side of the runways, via access by a 2.5 mile gravel road.

Not "forcing" myself on you, but if you think I might be able to help with some questions you might possibly have, please feel free to get in contact with me. I can even get you layout drawings I created of skeet and trap fields as well as the total club design. I am a designer by trade, can get you .pdf-files if you would like to see them.

Mike* (MH*)

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bwana64, By all means, take Mike up on his offer. If he's ACAD ready, he can take your property survey and put it on ACAD with multiple field overlays. He can probably show you where you'll have best location and layout for the shooting fields on your property.

If you proceed, you'll need those drawings for power, water, sitework, zoning, etc. anyway.

To have a shooter, who has run a club, and the ACAD (AutoCAD or similiar computerized drafting) format available is a tremendous timesaver!

13. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

Mike,
    I will get survey to you. I know I will be limited on space, if it is even doable.
    Tom

14. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Bwana64, I will help where ever possible. I don't want you to think I am trying to get into your business. just been around gun clubs for over 30 years, as well as helped build one from the ground up. I know a few of the things to look for, as well as avoid, if at all possible. Send me an e-mail when you get a chance, and maybe we could even talk a few things thru over the phone. A contact e-mail for me would be (mhessong@victoriaskeetandtrapclub.com), it gets directed to my work e-mail, where I send and receive most correspondence for the club. I will reply back with a couple of phone numbers, if you would like to talk anything thru. Like I said; I don't want to overstep my bounds or get into your business, just want to be of help, if needed (or wanted). Mike* (MH*)

15. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Tom,

any plans or ideas yet?

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.