1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DELRIN ADD ON RIBS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

Do you put them on or do you have someone put them on? I have a KX-5 that I have the POI rib ajustment as high as it will go and I see lots of rib.I was wondering if I could add a Delrin rib that would shoot a higher POI so that I could possibly set the rib ajustment in the middle and have some lee way or at least be able to sight more down the rib?

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I did both. I had Dennis DeVault install one on my Kolar topsingle to raise the POI and then I had Josh Conrad make me a rib that I added to my O/U barrels so I could keep the same comb height on my Kolar. Dennis used the double adheasive trim tape and I used the black RTV both are still holding.

--- Chip King ---

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you add something to the existing rib your gun will shoot to a lower POI. Unless you have an adjustable comb which you can raise. HMB

4. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Dave Berlet in Ohio makes good ones, he makes the rib in different tapers to get any height you want.

Terry.

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If you put a delrin rib on, it will lower your point of impact if you don't move the comb up and the rib isn't tapered. So, if you see a lot of space between the beads now, an add on will decrease that space and lower your POI. If you're wanting a higher POI, you would need a tapered rib made. I am the one who built Chip's rib, so feel free to PM me or email me with any questions you may have. Thanks, Josh.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If he wants to raise his POI he needs more than a rib. HMB

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

HMB This is the same situation that charger is in. He already has the comb jacked up and is seeing lots of rib. In order to have my Kolar shoot where I wanted I had already raised the comb. My top single shot 3 inches high at 35 yards and I had to raise the comb almost 3/8" to get it so that it hit 10" high at 35 yards. I had Dennis make a tapered add on rib so that I didn't have to guess how much rib should be between the beads when I set for the shot. I was able by using hangers both front and mid on my O/U barrels to have them hitting 9 inches high at 35 yards with the comb down . I had Josh make a flat add on rib for my O/U barrels, which already shot where I wanted, so that I did not need to lower my comb to shoot doubles.

--- Chip King ---

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

As Chip said, if you make the add on tapered, you then increase the POI. Josh

9. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

Josh,

that concept is REALLY confusing to me.....if he shoots off the end of barrel, and sees a lot of rib between the beads, how is adding a sighting plane going to change the POI?

I'm SO confused...

I'm NOT trying to stir a pot here; i am trying to become a little bit less ignorant of important matters like this, since I <i>also</i> need a rib on my O/U barrel.

Thanks.

John

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

John, I think the best way to explain it is using an adjustable rib gun, such as a Perazzi MX2005, as an example. If you mount the gun and see no space between the beads (a snowman), shoot it, and find it doesn't shoot high enough, you then need to raise the POI setting on the gun. To do this, you tilt the front of the rib down, therein raising the back. Doing this moves the front bead down, so you then need to raise your comb up until you get the snowman again. On an MX2005, doing this raises your POI from 60/40 to 70/30 or from 70/30 to 80/20 (I think). So, if you take the same concept to a fixed rib gun, you would need to "lower the front bead". So when you do that, you need to raise your comb to be able to stack the beads, and in doing so, raise your POI. I hope this helps you, and anyone else that happens to be confused, understand better. Josh

11. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

A quick note, I've been having some problems with my current email. If you emailed me lately and think you didn't receive a reply, please check your "Spam" box, I almost always reply within the same day. I'm thinking that some email servers treat my email as spam. Thanks, Josh.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

John,

You are right, they are wrong. It doesn't matter if the rib is tapered or not. If you add to the height of the front bread you will lower the POI. In addition to adding a tapered rib you must also raise the comb to raise the POI. HMB

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Sorry for not explaining well enough. In my example, I referenced that you also need to raise the comb to acquire the same sight picture, doing this, will raise your POI. Really, you could just raise the comb and increase the distance between your beads, and the gun will shoot higher, but with a tapered rib, you can still get the "snowman". I guess to answer your question John, if he sees a lot of space between the beads now, a tapered add on would eliminate that space, and if he wanted to go higher, would need to raise his comb higher. Hope this helps, Josh.

14. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Who would be some suppliers or manufacturers of the Delrin add on ribs. I have a BT99 that shoots way too high for me. This could be worth a try. Colonel

15. ouch

ouch Member

I toyed with this idea since reading about it in Rollins Stock Fitting book but never got serious til seeing Daro Handys high rib 1100. Per Rollins suggestion I made a test rib out of Balsa taped to my barrel, Put a "map pin" on it for a front bead, And a sewing pin for a mid bead.

Then played around on the patterning board sanding a taper to the balsa and cardboard to my comb til it was in the range I thought would work. Then to the club,Locked thrower and shot while fine tuning the taper,And comb heigth.

I ask Jollytrapshooter=Josh to make this rib and 2 more. a 16 yrd., a 26yrd. and a sporting clays ribs. He did an excellent job and I am very happy with the results.

I would suggest reading Rollins book,Stock Fitters bible to gain the knowledge you are asking about,Then contact Josh for a rib. Richard

16. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Here are a couple of pictures of a rib we just finished and installed on a BT-99 barrel. This one was made to fit over the original rib and we installed the beads. If your interested in a rib, feel free to email me. <br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    The zip ties are only temporary to keep the rib on while the silicone cures<br><br>

Thanks, Josh.

17. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Josh,
    Need your help. All of the threads are very pertinent to my problem: my unsingle shoots about 100% high, while my under barrel shoots about 80/20. which is what I want for both. I suppose I could have a set thickness of washers to put under adj comb since there are only two small set screws in the comb., one set for the O/U barrels and one set for the single. Just change back and forth as I change barrels. Seems counter intuitive though, if you raise the rib and raise the comb to see the snowman again, you are right back where you started!!!
    Deadeye45.

18. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Does Delrin warp? How rigid is it?

19. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Deadeye, you need to raise the rib on the unsingle without raising the comb. This may put you at a level that a you see the beads aligned rather than stacked like a "snowman". So we would taper the rib so it is larger in the front than the rear. We can do the math to find the height you would need to get it to shoot 80/20.

Jerry, we have started using a different type of material called ABS which machines much nicer, and is a lot more rigid. I intend on changing that on the website soon. As far as warping, I don't think it does but it will hold a set, so storing the stock flat is important. Hope this helps, Josh.

20. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Josh,
    I can give the idea of stacking a try. I can do that by lowering the comb.I only have about a 1/16 to go though and I'll start looking a the back of the step. My concern is: If I cant see it, I can't hit it. deadeye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
add on delrin ribs
delrin rib
delrin ribs
devault delrin rib issues

devault tapered rib

keene delrin ribs
why tapered ribs on trapguns