1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dell computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by southjblue, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I was just wondering about a new computer---I have a Dell computer and accessories including a printer that is 10 yrs old and still going strong-
    What will I gain if a new one is needed and what kind---If a new one will last me as long as this Dell it will probably be my last---Everything I buy now I tell my wife it will probably be our last----Our washer and dryer is now about 10 yrs old aslo---Lets see---My shoes are about 8 yrs old---I can go on and on.
    What's new with you guys???Just wondering----George@SJB

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Dell is anti gun. Printer I would get a HP. The HP is a good printer and the ink is far less in cost then a Dell. I have had my printer for about 5 years and its still running fine.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My printer is a HP psc 2210---It's 10 yrs old also---Still works fine but will change when I change computer---Didn't know Dell was anti gun---Hwo do we know that?---George

4. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Regardless of which brand you buy the first thing you'll gain is speed. Your 10 year old Dell probably didn't support more than 2 gb of ram. Most everything you'll get now will come with 4 gb ram standard and most motherboards will support up to 32. Your old computer probably had a single core processor, nowadays dual core is low end with quad core being more standard. The difference between single core and quad core is like a 72 Pinto vs brand new Porsche. Hard drives are bigger giving your programs and files more room making it easier to transfer data. Your old hard drive probably spun a 5400 rmps today 7200 is standard (although 5400 is still around). The old drive most likely connected with a ide ribbon which are now outdated. Sata 2 or 3 are now standard. Again more speed. On board graphics have improved 10 fold and coupled with the newer LCD/LED monitors make for much better viewing especially if watching DVDs or online videos. Optic drives (CD/DVD drives) read and write much faster than 10 years ago. USB ports transfer data to/from devices like printers and thumb drives cleaner and faster.

Beware...Windows 8 sucks and is a major power hog. Stick with Windows 7. Most retailers are still offering W7 desktops. No price break though. Normally when a new product is introduced the previous models go at a discount. Not so with Windows, which should give you an idea of how badly it's been received.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

My printer is a cannon bubble Jet 250, 1995 model, that I started using in 1998. Still going strong. I am on my second ink cartridge and have refilled them 48 times. It only holds 13 ml. ink wich I get out of Canada. It fits the small space in my desk so I bought 4 more off Ebay. Should last me several life times. lol. Ray

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bought the next generation Inspiron with the Gen3 i5 chip... nice deal with 1TB of disk space and 8GB of Ram... $500 from Best Buy with 0% financing... tough deal to pass up using their money!

regards,

jay

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One other possible concern is that with the new systems, especially the low end/cost systems, they are more of a commodity design. When they fail, they are put in the recycling bin.

Hard drives come in varying levels of durability. The lower cost drives are generally going to fail before the premium drives. Depending on your level of use, this may mean a few years difference in life. The same holds true for video cards, motherboards, fans, power supplies and the other components.

Lower end systems may be all on one board while higher end systems will allow plug in cards for some functions which can be changed if the particular card fails.

Another thing coming on is Solid State Drives. These are much faster than spinning disc hard drives but with the disadvantage of higher cost and smaller capacity. Some sources are holding back from totally endorsing SSD because of the lack of a long term track record for reliability. It does not mean that they will fail but only that there is not yet enough info to say that they won't fail in a shorter time. In higher end systems you can have both a fast SSD and a large (but slower) traditional hard drive.

As for printers, look for ones where you can simply refill the cartridge of the ink color that is low. My Canon has been running on refill inks for maybe 8 years. It has separate cartridges for black, magenta, yellow and cyan. I also have a HP multifunction which has all three colored inks in one cartridge. This one is not refillable and thus the ink costs are HIGH! The Canon allows me to spend the less money for the refill kit (Staples or even cheaper on-line stores) and still refill the inks for three or four times. The HP cartridge costs more than the Canon refill kit and only replaces one cartridge worth of ink. It has to be changed when any one of the three colored inks runs out. Not all HP or others are refillable so be sure to check before you buy if the cartridges used in what you plan to buy are refillable.

If you do a lot of printing in B&W you may want to consider a laser printer. They do have a higher cost but the toner cartridge (basically this is the ink) last a lot longer and the laser offers a lower cost per page of printing. Color lasers are available but unless you are doing a lot of color printing, they could be cost prohibitive for you.

I am not trying to "sell you" on Apples but that is what I work with for my paying job. The long term life of the Apples at the University almost always is very significantly better than the PC desktops. These are at one time or another were HP, Lenovo, Dell or Gateway systems. The PC server grade systems do use higher grade components and seem to last as well as the Apple systems. Of course the Apple will generally cost you more than a consumer grade PC but if you equip the PC with similar rated components as the Apple uses, the life will generally be near the same and the costs will be close to the same. Both the Apple and comparably equipped PCs are more likely to be made obsolete by more demanding software being released which will not work with older systems rather than component failures.

As has been mentioned above, Windows 8 does not seem to be being quickly and widely accepted. This is for a number of reasons. Windows 7 seems like it will be the more commonly used PC OS for a fair length of time. When upgrades occur in the Apple system, people are generally faster to change than PC users.

One other thing to watch out for is the new licensing scheme that Microsoft is using with regard its new Office software. It is coming in as a licensed for a year then renew at cost for the next year. The initial and renewal costs vary depending on which version you are leasing. You may want to look closely at this aspect of your purchase.

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A guy called wanting a new Dell computer. The sales person asked questions and he answered them. She then asked what is your job? He said GUNSMITH. Silence was on the other end till she said Just a min. She came back and said we will not sell you a computer. He asked Why not? Because we don't sell to terrorist. He bought something else other then Dell.

9. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Some of the SSD hybrids are very attractive.

I recently built the puter I am on right now and added a hybrid SSD and am more then satisfied with the performance.

In layman's language the SSD hybrid takes the things you use all the time and stores them on the "solid state" portion of the drive and recalls them instantly when needed. Super fast!

Doc

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have had them all, dell, Gateway, HP and some more. The best I have ever had is the Toshiba laptop and a Cannon printer. I have an $80 Cannon printer that does it all and does it well with little ink

11. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

If you are a NSCA member you can get discounts on Dell. Just saw it on the NSCA members page.

12. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If you buy a Dell you may want to check their online sales of their "reconditioned" units. They come with the same guarantee as a new unit, and the two I have purchased in recent years both looked brand new.

It is my understanding that once a unit is sold new and then returned for whatever reason it cannot be resold as new even though it may have never been used. The prices are considerably better than a new machine. You just need to know what you are looking for and be ready to purchase when you find it listed. The units seem to move out very quickly.

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The only thing about Dell is they are looking to go private and other companies may be giving more value for the same price. That is what I have found when looking at there laptop offerings.

Sounds like you don't have heavy duty requirements such as video editing or what have you such as gaming, so almost anything will do.

What will you gain? A lot less waiting around at your end. A speed increase on all you do. Files will open and closer much quicker. Boot time will decrease.

4gb memory (seeing 6 offered more and more) and just about any hard drive will work for you. By the way, saw the comment on 7200 hard drive. Unless I'm missing something not standard at all. Also, they are soon to go out of production, but will be available for the next few years, according to ZDNET.

Doesn't sound like you need dedicated video memory!

Getting to be pretty much standard, but make sure you have at least one USB 3 slot. It is back word compatible with USB 2.0.

You may want to look at screen size. Bigger is better. The new screens also take up much less space.

Unless your printing photo after photo, almost any cheap printer will fit your needs. I've got to the point where I just run over to Walmart if I need a photo or two printed. Wireless printing is a nice option, especially if you have more then one computer in the home or working off a laptop. By the way, a new printer may need for your computer to have an open HDMI slot on your computer for hookup.

How old is your router? A newer model can do wonders, especially in conjunction with a new computer.