1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deleting all messages posted on TS.Com

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

How do you delete all messages you have posted on TS.Com. without having to do them one at a time? Is there a way to do it or is this something David can do. I'd like to delete all responses I have posted so as to free up more space on TS.com. It would take a long time to do them one at a time. Thanks, Biff

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Do you really think it makes that much difference? All it does is leave holes in threads and makes people appear to be talking to themselves. If it becomes an issue, I'm sure someone (David) would ask people to start deleting posts, or they (David) could just delete the older stuff. I don't know if the extra half a megabyte would be worth the bother of having a site administrator chase it down.

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Saving space?? But old threads can be very useful and informative. I can't count the times that I have searched the old threads for information. Of course if you are erasing your tracks and that stupid post that sounded so good after the six pack? That might be a good idea.

Rock

Jim

4. biff

biff Active Member

Jim, you are possibly right about going back to find topics of interst or that might help. I not so sure if either of those ideas fit anything I have posted, nor are any of mine being of much value. I tried not to post anything I would be sorry for saying and hoped some of what I posted might be helpful. I also know the gaps might interfere with the continuity, but most threads I responded on would be just fine without anything I might have posted. All my remarks praising accomplishment have already been read. I have learned much from gleaning through all the posting on TS.Com and feel I have gained much knowledge, therefore appreciate this site very much. If it can't be done in whole, I may just have to do what Jerry B. did. Thanks to all, Biff

5. alpine

alpine TS Member

One of the things that has gotten cheaper is hard drive space. It wasn't to long ago that DOS was limited to 40 mb. Now most new computer don't even come with a 1.44 mb floppy drive. It just to small to be worthwhile. I don't even know if the Windows operating system is still limited to 4 terabytes. But I would guess that that stumbling block has been overcome also.

In short I don't believe that storage of old threads is a problem, and wouldn't go and delete old postings just to save disk space.

Now if you want to go back and delete dumb things we all have typed, well that's a horse of a different color.

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

It's mostly just text and I'm pretty sure deleteing it is just a waste of time. Now if you've posted a lot (LOTS) of photos than it may be woth it. I'm sure the administrator(s) would ask or take care of it if need be. Just my 2 cents.

7. tachyon

tachyon Member

hoggy,

One photo is worth more than 1,000 words (storage space wise)

Photos are never stored on the ts.com site. You have to host the photos on another site and reference them in your post. ts.com only has text and archives text.

8. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I just type furiosly. admire my posts, then delete them in disgust by hitting

.............................. "Clear Entries"................................

9. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

OOPS.... Damn I hate when that happens

10. drh08

drh08 TS Member

My job is working in IT and if you are trying to save disk space by deleting your posts don’t waste your time. Disk is cheap ( sort of) but there is a lot more to it than disk, like backups of disk, electricity to spin the disks, cabinets to house the disk, licenses to run the cabinets of disk and on and on and on. It would be up to the administrator of this site to remove old posts which would be done through some sort of “last accessed” by a user option I would imagine. From an IT standpoint it’s very noble that you are concerned but TS can clean up way more efficiently than each person removing their personal post. That is unless you have nothing else to do, then by all means remove your posts.
    Personally the idea of this site is information and historical information is very important for research from the users. You could be doing us all an injustice by removing your knowledge from the knowledge bank.

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

These guys aren't actually talking about removing anything useful...they're talking about removing what they wrote. :)

12. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Code5, that's funny!

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Don't worry about it. Microsoft will be able to handle the internet traffic.
    (Wonder if the Quincy Gun Club is expanding?)

Microsoft is building a new data center on 74 acres in the town of Quincy in central Washington. The six-building complex will include about 1.5 million square feet covered in rows of server racks to power current and future online services. The site includes a electrical substation and a diesel-powered generator for backup power just in case there is an interruption in the 48 megawatts of power drawn from the local power grid.

Power and fiber is provided by Grant County, one of a few counties near the Columbia River with its own hydroelectric dam and fiber networks. Unlike big cities and existing hubs of activity these counties are special economic zones with tax incentives for research and development spending.

Microsoft's new data center is over 8 times the size of 365 Main, a large data center in San Francisco housing companies such as Technorati. It's a little less than three football fields full of server racks drawing a power equivalent of about 50,000 homes. Electricity rates from these county-owned power grids are over 8 times cheaper than you might pay to plug-in your computer at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.