1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

deleted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 27, 2013.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just purchased my first K80 yesterday, the deal was too good to pass up.

It appears that someone welded the ears on the top latch to tighten the fit, rather than welding the ears on the barrel, as is typically done.

<center>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Skeet_Man/media/DSC09119_zpsa1c6d8b6.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Skeet_Man/media/DSC09113_zps2ecfbd17.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    </center>

Has anyone ever seen this done before? I'm wondering what the chances of the top latching being salvageable are. I got the gun for a good enough price that I can afford to replace the top latch if I have to, but I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

I emailed Krieghoff, and may take the gun down to them for a once-over once it arrives late next week or early the week after, just curious as to anyone elses thoughts.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You already know the answer. Let the guys at K.I. get it right.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They will throw that top latch away but there might be something way off on the geometry of that barrel fit to do something like this

Be prepared for a much bigger loss than the top latch

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you get to shoot the gun before you bought it? Does it function properly? HMB

5. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Gene..is Correct..They will Throw Modified Part Away. Top Latch is KEY too Keeping Gun Together...They will Not take that Liability..Have seen them Replace Aftermarket Gold Engraved..For the Very Same Reason...Better too be Safe... Good Luck..Please Keep Us Posted.

6. G4AV8R

G4AV8R Member

FYI... I have several top latches that were welded by a friend of mine. Never had a problem with any of them.

7. skeet_man

Here are some pics of the lockup with the barrels attached:

<center>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Skeet_Man/media/pix019909912_zpsb45e27c8.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Skeet_Man/media/pix958960617_zps2b2a0246.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Skeet_Man/media/pix341465324_zpsa81acdef.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>
    </center>

hmb- I have not shot it yet, its in TX, and won't be here until next week or the week after. The seller said he shot it and it functioned without issue. I have a 3 day inspection on it, so it looks like I will be driving the 600m round trip down to ottsville when it comes in.

I just heard back from Krieghoff, and they told me welding on the top latch ruins the heat treatment. I was kinda expecting having to replace the top latch, but was crossing my fingers that I wouldn't have to LOL. Like I said, at the price I bought the gun at, I can afford to have a new top latch put on.

In regards to replacement top latches. If I pick up a used one, how can I tell the difference b/w a K80 and Model 32 top latch. In standard grade, they look identical to me, and obviously I wouldn't want to put a Model 32 top latch on a K80.

8. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

I am sure some other K80 owners will chime in. I believe that the top latches on the k32 and k80 are identical in size and function. There are other changes between models, but the latch is not one of them. for your safety, I would not shoot the gun you bought until the latch is changed out. BTW, if I recall, they are not that expensive.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

K-80 top latches are far harder than the barrel ears. They are designed that way. The newer fix is to weld and re-fit the barrel to the latch. There is a jig that helps fit barrels correctly so wear is even. In the old days we simply replaced the top latch with one with an oversize web. There is way more profitability in welding, re-fitting and the neccessity of a re-blue than my older fix!!

10. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Get it replaced while having Krieghoff doing an annual.

11. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Never Said..It Would Not Work...And Or It has Not been Done Many Times by People OTHER than Krieghoff Service Centers. They will Make Issue of it Durning Any Service..As They Did with Gold Upgraded Top Latch from the Late Mr. Bill Mains...Latch was Returned OVERCUT..Rendering it Unusable. Fabulous Tri-color Gold.. Bald Eagle Turned into Coffee Table Art.

12. skeet_man

Ended up sourcing another top latch.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=349782946

Seller didn't know if it was K80 or M32, but I'm pretty sure its a K80. I looked at a bunch of M32 pics, and the top latches on those guns didn't have the little relief lip (for lack of a better term) on the chamber end, and the K80s did, like this one does.

The gun will kinda be in limbo for a while, since I'm not going to use the barrels that are coming with it. So once I find the barrels I want, I will have them and the replacement top latch fit (no sense in fitting the replacement top latch to barrels I'm not going to use) have the double release triggers removed, and an annual done all at once.

I do think I'll take the drive down to Krieghoff to have them go over it as-is though, in case there are any unseen issues.

13. g7777777

There are differences on the undercuts of some K32 toplatches

Here is what happens if you go to Krieghoff

Lets say the least of your problem is worn ears- but you might have worn hinge pins also

Krieghoff will reweld and reblue- they wont reweld without rebluing - unless something has changed $450 or so where someone else would probably weld the ears if possible and charge you around 100 dollars

hinge pins different story

other problems? only time will tell

make certain you have money in your account

why drive and not mail? this wont get done while you wait

Gene

14. skeet_man

I'm not going to have any work done as this point, as I outlined above. The only thing I want them to do at this juncture is inspect it for me and give me a prognosis. I'm not going to have ANY work done until I find the barrels I want. No way I'm going to be able to ship it to them and have it shipped back within my 3 day inspection window.

"Lets say the least of your problem is worn ears- but you might have worn hinge pins also

Krieghoff will reweld and reblue- they wont reweld without rebluing - unless something has changed $450 or so where someone else would probably weld the ears if possible and charge you around 100 dollars

hinge pins different story

other problems? only time will tell"

Obviously these issues could be present on ANY used Krieghoff, not just the one I purchased. If they won't weld without rebluing, there are plenty of authorized repair centers that will for $100-$150, and I can have the barrels reblued by Glenrock for $160 (matte) or $200 (gloss).

But all of that is kinda a moot point, since I won't be using the barrels that come on the gun.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Quit screwing around and contact K.

16. skeet_man

Barry- If you read my previous posts, you'd see I already have.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Then stick to what they say. I fear for your good health. Barry.

18. g7777777

There is little discoloration after after a good job of rewelding- you wont need to reblue your barrels unless you are an absolute perfectionist

Having said that- the points above about once you give it to them- they wont want to give back any part that is a safety defect--

The dont and probably wont for liability purposes-- so you might not leave with all the parts that you walk in the door with

Regards from Iowa

Gene

19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

From the sound of your driving description you are coming from New England - why not hit Chris Maest in Lawrenceville, NJ - not far off 95 - should save you an hour of driving.

He will most likely tell you the truth - he need not stick to the company line in what he says up front.

Food for thought...

20. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

Krieghoff used to have oversize top latches for this very problem.

No more?

Adios, Dirk