1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

deleted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nice pattern.

Open chokes are good for up close and personal use, but fall short for range under field conditions.

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have a k-32 with brileys that will put all the OO 2 3/4 pellets in a 30" circle at 60 yards. FED premium. Jeff

3. Brian in Oregon

Federal Premium is good stuff. I use their Premium 3" #4 Buck for coyotes in my 1187 with a turkey choke. It will riddle a coyote nose to rump at 50 yards.

4. Brian in Oregon

Each pellet is in excess of an 80 gr ball in a Remington 1858 cap and ball revolver, which with a max load does about 1250 fps.

In other words, it's like being shot eight times with an 1858 Remington.

I went with a round ball for comparison because it is ballistically the closest to the buckshot. Conicals weigh considerably more than 70 grains.

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Years ago, exercising some 2 3/4" #4 buckshot, I knocked down a doe going away at about 40 yards, she was down but had to be finished off, and a buck head on at 10 yards, 1 ball hit him between the running lights, he flopped around about 1 minute, then succumbed.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Number 4 buck maims more than it kills.IMO should be banned for deer. Jeff

7. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

bigbore613,

Should arrows be banned?

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Where a shotgun is used for bigger game or for self-defense, slugs work pretty good.

9. 6chuter

6chuter Member

Look out! If Jeff has it his way cars and trucks will be banned!

10. Brian in Oregon

bigbore613, quote: <i>"Number 4 buck maims more than it kills.IMO should be banned. Jeff"</i>

Did you read my post, or gloss over it? I am talking about coyote hunting.

I have never lost a coyote hit with #4 buck.

As it happens, Oregon restricts buckshot size to #1 buckshot and larger for DEER. And I agree that #4 buck is too small for DEER. BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE POST SAID IT WAS BEING USED FOR.

Using your logic, 7-1/2 shot maims more deer than it kills, so let's ban it too.

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

shooterbum----Just kidding---Was it a doe or a HIM????George

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

BnO I wasnt refering to you at all.I should have added for Deer hunting. I belonged to a Hunt club that took hundreds of deer a year.Found a lot of #4buck all through the years under the skin festered up along with cripples most due to taking too long a shot is my guess. We banned it in our club and most of the problem disapeared. With the advent of Great Slug guns and muzzle loaders alot taken more cleanly. If th county mandates Buckshot, its OO for me.I KNOW it will kill farther than I am going to take the Shot. Jeff

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well... You didn't find 4 buck balls festered up in the vitals! You want to cripple deer? Any pellets not in the vitals will wound. I personally have killed enough deer to fill a freuhauff trailer with 4 buck. It has no equal at the ranges in which you should be shoot buckshot which is 40 yards or less. I had a 410 that shot a 3 ball load of OOO buck to the point of aim clear to 60 yards in a nice little triangle. 3 balls and I could hit a 3 pound coffee can with at 60 yards.. Every shot. Now.. You tell me what is more dangerous to a deer? The load pictured above or the deadly triangle from that 410?

I load a lot of buckshot loads and I have one that will pattern as good as the new loads by Federal with that new kick ass wad. Until that wad came out, I had a load that had no equal. 100% at 45 yards in about 25 inches.

I do not shoot deer with buckshot anymore but when I did that 4 buck was the BEST. You could eat right around any stray holes in the meat as it would not really bloodshot the meat.

I could not disagree more about 4 buck. Your average dumb shit buys factory buckshot and then they shoot it through an open choke because that is what the experts said we were to do years ago.

That advice was horse shit then and horseshit now. I shoot buckshot through a full choke in the 10ga and the 12ga. If you want tite patterns.

For home defense... That is a different story.

28 grains of 7625

13 balls of #1 buck

Remington RP-12 wad=

Buffer and the 209 of your choosing. Wicked...load Jeff

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

All you did was reiterate what I said.Dumbasses do the wrong things. 40 yards... Yep. Jeff