1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deleted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm not a welding expert, but I think you might do something to the heat treating of the receiver.

TIG might be better. Check with a welding professional.

HM

2. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

I am a welding expert ( I think ) been doing it almost 40 years now. I don't know what the carbon content is in Remington receivers but the ONLY welding process should be TIG welding. Find a gunsmith that knows how to do weld repairs. Try to avoid a welding fabrication shop. Not picking on them but sometimes they can be a little rough. It's possible that the crack may have to be vee'd out a little depending on metal thickness. Hope this helps. Dan.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Like Hotrod67, I too made my living welding and running welding and fabrication shops for about 35 years. The welding shop must know the metal properties of the receiver before he can weld it correctly. Welded correctly, the weld joint will be stronger than the parent metal. Welded with the incorrect application with too much heat and the receiver will crack below or above the initial weld! Aluminum alloy receivers require those same properties be known before the proper fix can be made right. Probably cost you more than another receiver by far, if welded to hold! No shade tree mechanics allowed either, unless your tired of living.

Hap

4. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

The easiest repair is to just stop drill at the end of the crack. I have seen this happen on a few 870 Comps, just take a 1/8 bit and drill at the end of the crack and it should not progress.

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Can you post a pic of the crack?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.