1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

delete

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A better statement would be, make sure there is enough pressure so my gun functions properly. HMB

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You didn't specify the primer or wad but for most combos, 17.5g of Promo is going to be about as low as you want to go. You should be in the 1,200 FPS range and 7000-8000 psi. I would probably opt for a bit more powder after consulting the manufacture's data.

You are the only person that needs to be satisfied with your ammo. So as long as your shells funtion properly and break the targets like you expect them to, then you have suceeded. One thing about the 7/8 loads though, they tend to work best with the smalller shot (#8 or #8.5) combined with velocities in the 1,250 FpS range. (IMO). Some pattern testing may be in order if you really want to find what works best in your gun.

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Tigman46; Check with the powder co. and see if you can be safe with a hotter primer if so that will give you a better burn.

4. ABH

ABH Member

Tigman,

Try a faster powder than Promo. Titewad or Winchester Lite will give you 1200-1250fps and get your pressures up to 9-10,000psi. I'll bet that you will see a much cleaner action at the end of the shooting day. ART H.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Tigman, those should work good. I hope so anyway as I just bought 18000 from a guy whose asking price was $320.00 and I couldn't pass that price up. LOL Jackie B.

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I thought the CCI209M's were designed for large volume slow burning powders like Green Dot...not Promo.

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

If you use a low end load with Promo you'll find alot of unburned powder in the barrel.I have found that a load on the higher end of the Promo pressure curve will create a much cleaner burning load........just my experience.

D.P.Reynolds

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tigman,

go to alliantpowder.com for your data needs. You will be able to find exact recipies for the components you have and you don't have to take the advice of a bunch of internet posters that you don't really know.