1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

delete

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by emm2, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emm2

emm2 Member

Looks good. Did you put any wax on it?

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I think it needs several more coats to really fill the pores. But it looks good for only 6 coats.
    Don

3. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

I agree with Don, but you are going to have a real looker when you are done. Not to mention the pride in doing it yourself.

4. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Beautiful. How did you strip off the old finish, and what else did you do? Really looks nice.

5. Peasant

Peasant TS Member

There's a process called muddling that will fill all the pores with less coats... makes it look and feel as smooth as glass with your choice of how much shine you want super glossy or matte finish... looks great...good luck...

--------------------------

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

6. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Peasant---explain muddling please.

Arnie

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Looks good so far. I have a gunsmith friend who refinishes stocks. I asked him how long does it take to refinish a stock? He said each piece of wood is different. It depends on how many coats it takes to fill the pores of the wood. Some stocks 10 coats, some 30, it all depends. Regardless, that is one nice piece of wood. Don't rush it, take your time as you want a professional looking job.
    Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri

8. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Mudding is what I do either with the stain coat or if I am not staining with the first coat of finish really thinned. Just take 320 grit sandpaper with the stain or finish and sand to create a mud out of the dust. It will fill the open grain nicely, let it get nearly dry and wipe across the grain so as not to pull the mud from the pores. When dry litely sand with 600 grit, careful not to sand through the stain. You may have to repeat the mudding if the grain is not filled. Wear rubber gloves it's messy. Hope this helps.
    Carey

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I know when my brother finished his stock he wet sanded in between two coats of tru-oil. After doing about 20 coats he basically ended wet sanding with 2000 and then finished off with polish/wax.

Bryan

10. emm2

emm2 Member

I wouldn't wax the stock until you are sure you have enough coats of tru oil on it. I refinished a Beretta stock this winter. I mudded the stock after 2 coats of tru oil and then put on 6 more coats of oil followed by 4 coats of wax. I have heard stories of people putting on 100 or more coats of tru oil but after 6 I was making no more progress so I quit there. The stock and forearm came out very nice.