1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dehumidifier question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Aug 20, 2013.

Jun 11, 2007
    Won't the A/C take care of the humidity? I also have a home in Vero Beach, FL. and the a/c removes the humidity as well as providing comfort. If you are looking to save a few bucks I would suggest that you utilize the dehumidifier along with the a/c BUT set the a/c thermostat higher. Stay cool---Dennis.
  2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Turn your thermostat down to at least 72-74 degrees. Your compressor isn't running long enough at 78 degrees to remove a lot of the humidity from the air. 78 degrees and high humidity is uncomfortable. Make sure your evaporator is draining correctly.

3. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    If your refrigerator AC isn't dripping a flow from the Evaporator A coil drain during the run cycle then you need someone to check it out. Same with your Heat Pump. You should get dehumidification from both units.

Refrigeration should make the air coming out of the registers somewhere around 55 degrees F. and internal temperature drop from the 'hot' side of the A coil to the 'cold' side of that A coil should be 15 to 20 degrees after the unit is running stable. If your heat pump outlet air is dumped straight into your Central Air inlet air side you should be both cool and dry if everything is operating right.

I've found a link that you can look at and chase the internal links as well.

http://inspectapedia.com/aircond/aircond09.htm or click above.

Don T
  4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    In the Cabana
    Don is right the temp drop across the evap coil should be in the range he said, it sounds like the system is over sized so it comes on and drops the temperature too fast and shuts off, there for the humidity is high

Sometimes contractors will over size a heat pump, because in most parts of the country you run more hours in heat than in cooling, and most of the time is they have never calculated a heat load using an ASHRAE Manual J or using a load calculation computer program, they just use rule of thumb

How old is the system in your house? If it is fairly new you might consider installing a whole house dehumidifier, it sets parallel to the air handler and runs until the humidity is what you want, neither heating or cooling the air, just drying it. Aprilaire makes a pretty good unit, it uses a compression cycle to dehumidify, or you might want to check into a desiccant dryer, but neither is cheap

If your unit is older you might think about upgrading and if you do make sure they do a load calc. But even though you will be pressured into buying the most efficient, the higher the efficiency the worse they are at dehumidifying, because they get the higher efficiency by running a warmer evap coil

We have installed some super high effiency units that I didn't recommend but the customer wanted them, besides the point they paid more for the equipment, they also don't benefit from the high rating because it doesn't dehumidify as good as their old unit so they run the temp lower to get the comfort they want
  5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    Damn, 78 degrees and I'd be wringing with sweat. I've got my programmable thermostat on 74 in the morning hours and then it drops to 73 early afternoon. Then late afternoon it drops again to 72 degrees for the heat of the day and stays there until around 8pm when it goes up to 73 again. At 1am it returns to 74 again. It keeps our humidity in the house between 45-50% without running any separate dehumidifier. I live in the Midwest where we also have high humidity. My wife swears I'm an Eskimo with how cold I keep the house.

For what it's worth, I never was impressed by those heat pumps.
  6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    You may also consider a ductless heating /cooling unit, not so much for the heating/cooling but most of them have a dehumidfication mode. The goal on dehumidfying is not to affect room tempature but still remove humidity.I also may have someone look at your vapor or lack of vapor barrier.If you do replace your HVAC system look at a multi-stage and varible speed blowers.Hot air goes too cool air and wet air will go to dry air the fight is stopping it or at least slowing it down.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    There are some dehumidifiers that get good ratings for basement floor applications

Just get one of those or more ( maybe you want one in your room)

Do you have a basement in Florida?

The basement problem has to do with the temperature of your basement floor , nothing more

Regards from Iowa

Sep 12, 2011
    My house is set to 68 degrees year round, no humidity in my house.
  9. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Check the difference between the supply and return air from the unit. That difference should be 18 degrees for perfect. If it is much lower in difference like 12 to 15 degrees difference. Have your unit checked. If it is over 20 it may be icing up. If that is OK purchase a separate Dehumidifier for your room. The dealer should be able to tell you what size you need by the room size. You really need to find out why you have so much humidity. It very well could be that your HP may be over sized. Many have a tendency to oversize HP's. Not wanting to use any backup heat in the winter. Especially in the south.

10. Mapper

Mapper Member

Aug 10, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I have a dehumidifier in my mostly finished basement. It fills up the tub about every day, especially if we don't run the AC. About 3 gallons. But this is Michigan.