1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DeHaan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by calilori, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

Does anybody know anything about these guns? I've talked my boyfriend into joining ATA and shooting trap with me, and he doesn't have a trap gun. He has skeet guns, sporting clay guns, and hunting guns, but no trap gun, and somebody gave him this catalogue and swore they were good guns, but they are so very inexpensive that I'm a little skeptical. I told him I would post here and ask if anybody knows anything about them.

2. 100straight

100straight Member

DeHaan's are OK for hunting, but for trap he should buy a used Browning BT99 or Citori, or a Remington 870 or 1100 trap. These will stand up far better to extended use.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I don't own a DeHaan, but I know a few people who do......or did own one. I agree with 100Straight. They are OK for hunting or occasional target shooting, but I wouldn't count on one for lots of shooting.

I'm sure that someone will post shortly and tell us how they have put 30K rounds through their DeHaan, but based on people who I know who've owned these guns, that is certainly the exception and not the rule.

Besides, if you are going to do more than just occasional target shooting, the cost of a moderately priced gun is just a small fraction of what you will spend on targets and ammo. Do the math on it and you will see.

Easystreet

4. calilori

calilori TS Member

He's been shooting for years and owns several guns. He's not looking for a cheap gun. An 1100 won't do because he will shoot doubles and it's just rude to shoot a semi auto without a shell catcher. I know it annoys me when somebody's hulls hit me during a shoot. I have a Citori and that's what he was looking at until he was given the catalogue. Thanks for the input.

5. 100straight

100straight Member

1100s can be easily made to drop the empties near your feet. Many very good trap shooters have shot doubles with 1100s.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I say go back to the Citori. I would take a good used XT over a new DeHann merely because of the name. It's pretty hard to beat a Browning for a good budget gun. I've got a used BT-99 that I've put probably 10,000 rounds through, plus the 15,000+ the previous owner put through it and it has yet to cause any problems with minimal maintenance, just a good cleaning every couple of thousand rounds. Plus, if the gun does happen to break down, there are people all over the place that work on Brownings. As the saying goes, "Cheap you pay, cheap you get".

I also thought that DeHann stopped making production guns. Last I heard, they were making only custom guns. Josh

7. calilori

calilori TS Member

Thanks for the input, and yes, I believe deHaan only makes the custom guns. He is specifically looking for an OU so he can just use one gun for everything. Thanks!

8. 100straight

100straight Member

DeHaan doesn't "make" any guns. They are imported from Turkey. See link above, and click on "About Dehann Shotguns" in the left margin.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

the wesbite states that they are taking orders...so I guess it's "custom" guns only...whatever the hell that means....

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i was in gunsunlimited in omaha`awhile back,they had a nice older citori combo 34/32. www.gunsunlimitedomaha.com. dwain

11. calilori

calilori TS Member

Why do some of you always want to turn everything into a battle? I'm not knocking Leo, that would be stupid and insincere. I was asking for advice about a specific gun. No, he doesn't want to go to a lot of work and expense on a trap gun to start shooting trap. And yes, I said it was rude for your ejected shells to hit the person next to you while shooting doubles in a tournament. That is just rude. Obviously, Leo doesn't do that, so his situation does not apply here. If you choose to copy my post and use it to slam me then please do it with intellectual honesty and address the part whree I said "without a shell catcher". This kind response is exactly why I quit posting here to start with, and against my better judgement came back to ask for advice. I should have known that some of you can't resist trying to cause trouble. I'm throwing my hands up. I just don't get the purpose of being rude and mean spirited for the sake of being mean spirited.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Oh calm down Lori. Nobody's bashing you or your post. They're just going off on tangents.

Have your boyfriend buy a used Citori Trap O/U and be done with it. He should be able to get a good one around $1200. You can't go wrong with this choice, and if he decides trap isn't his thing, he won't lose a lot of money when he goes to sell it.

Or, like others have said, get a used 1100 Trap for a lot less money than the Citori, and make sure it has a true trap barrel with the little soldered "knock-down lug" on the barrel extension. This will permit him to shoot doubles without flinging hulls at the shooter to his right.

It really does work. Its what my daughter shoots.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

calilori---I'll apologize for them for i hate to see you not want to post here. For some on here i think it is their entertainment to start an arguement over something trivial. I would agree with the posts to buy the Browning Citori. Good luck to you and your boyfriend.----Matt

14. 100straight

100straight Member

Wow,

I'm trying to find a post where she was bashed, or Leo was mentioned. I guess it must have been deleted. On the other hand, if you come on this site asking questions about using cheap guns made in Turkey for serious trap shooting, you should expect folks to offer helpful suggestions such as recommending a Browning or an 1100. If you didn't want an honest answer, why do you ask the question?

Or, we could have all told you that DeHaans are great trap guns, and that you should grab one while they are still available, because all the top shooters are rushing to buy one. Maybe that would have been better?

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Doesn't DeHaan make the only Turkey hunting gun that is actually made in Turkey?

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Naah, Tron, many of the cheap-a$$ semi-auto's are made in Turkey, and most of them have a camo turkey model.

17. calilori

calilori TS Member

Thanks again for your input and I see the post in question has been deleted. Thank you. Anyway, he'll probably buy a used Citori. He has so many guns now. Obviously, I don't know a whole lot about guns since I touched one for the first time 3 years ago, and he's been shooting since before I was born, but I don't see why he couldn't use his skeet gun, and just change the chokes....oh well....thanks again for those of you who offered helpful advice. I had honestly never heard of deHaan and I couldn't understand why they were listed so cheaply in the catalogue....now I know.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Lori,

He could certainly use his skeet gun or his sporting clays gun, and just put in a modified or improved modified choke. However those guns are probably set up to shoot pretty flat. Trap is a game where the targets are always rising (at least they are rising in their trajectory where you want to shoot them) and a gun that shoots a high point of impact is preferred over flat shooting guns.

If one of his guns has an adjustable comb, he can raise the comb up to shoot a little higher point of impact, and he'd be fine.

If he doesn't have an adjustable comb, he could use Dr. Scholl's moleskin to add some height to the comb when he shoots trap, then take it off when he shoots the other games.

On the other hand, if he's looking for an excuse to buy another gun, the Citori is a great choice.

19. calilori

calilori TS Member

I'm kinda thinking it's an excuse to buy a new gun. LOL...we sort of have a "you can never have too many guns" philosophy around our house.

20. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Lori
    Everyone I know that bought a DeHann has since sold it! Theyre a good looking gun for the money, but that's about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

thair dehaan