1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DeHaan Shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigSkiff, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I ran across a DeHaan shotgun for sale at our club yesterday. I actually shot this gun once a few months ago, but didn't really give it much thought at the time. It shot nicely and was definitely a good looking gun.

My question is what do y'all think about DeHaan shotguns? I really don't know anything about them other than they are made in Turkey. Are they a decent gun? Will they hold up to the weekly wear and tare of Trapshooting? What are its strengths and what are it's weaknesses?

Thanks - Bob

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Glorified Huglu (as are the current CZ shotguns.)

Probably OK for the field, but not sure I'd subject one to the rigors of trap shooting.

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I would buy nearly anything before I bought a DeHann or Huglu, as they really are. A Mossberg 500 would be preferable to the Huglu. My opinion only.

4. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

As Far as part and repairs I thought there was a full service facility in Rigby, Idaho?

5. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I completely understand a reluctance to go with a gun that isn't well know, that's why I shoot Berettas. But, for y'all that give these shotguns a thumbs down, I'd like to know if you've actually owned one, or at least had any experience shooting one? What specifically is wrong with them? The engraving is very nice and the grade 4 and 5 wood is every bit as nice as any I've seen? So, please be specific and tell me what is wrong with these guns?

6. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

I used to own a DeHaan 28 Ga. Top barrel POI was 6" low and the bottom barrel was 8" low. There were several guys that had them at our club. All of them but mine double fired periodically. I don't recommend them.

7. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I had a CZ 20ga. O/U. Thought I would enjoy pheasant hunting. The
    trigger was sloppy and I shot it poorly on pheasants. I was never
    so happy as to sell that gun. New owner likes it, but he never has
    had what I would call a nice gun to compare to. Take others advise
    and pass. Thanks

8. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have this one for sale if you are interested. Mark
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Nice looking gun. What's the LOP? Barrel Length? Chokes? Is it cast on or cast off? What are you asking for it?

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Big Skiff, you don't actually have to own a junk gun to know that it is a junk gun. All you have to do is read the reviews and look one over in the store. A Russian Remington Spartan is a better gun and they aren't much themselves. Of course this is only my opinion.

11. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

No disrespect intended, but if you haven't owned one or shot one then you do not know whether or not it is a junk gun. You can only speculate or assume that to be the case, but your information is only hearsay unless you've owned one or had some quality time shooting one.

I know the internet forums are full of opinions and many of them are well written. But that doesn't make them factual. If I didn't suspect there was a reason to be concerned I wouldn't be asking, and I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my inquiry. But I'm really looking for specifics, and opinions based on those specifics. Hearsay I can find all on my own!

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have two CZ/Huglu Redheads, one twenty and a twenty eight gauge. They appear to be close knock offs of Browning's O/U. The fit and finnish I would rate as good or better, they handle well and are easy to shoot. I have had no issues with either. I'm a trigger slapper so I can't speak about trigger creep and pull through. I consider these guns a good value. DeHaan's/Huglu's I have handled are much more refined than the CZ imports and appear to be even a better value.

Huglu can and does make some wonderful guns and Dehaan's are an example of their ability. CZ on the other hand is constrained by the retail price point they wish to maintain.

surfer

13. RichBandit

RichBandit TS Member

I currently have 2 CZ guns and am very happy with them. There were problems prior to 2007 but since then they have come along very well. If the gun you are looking at is after 2007 I would not hesitate to buy it. You will be happy with it.

14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Bought a DeHaan 12 gauge over and under a few years ago. The choke tubes (which interchange with Beretta Mobilechokes)were thin and cheaply made. The wood is poor and the engraving was terrible looking. Sloppy trigger. I gave the DeHaan to someone for some yard work.

15. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I bought an DEHAAN sxs in .410,that would be the only value as a 410 sxs 28"bbls,for the price your next step would be an AYA at 3k.
    For the 1K money Im sure you could find an older charles daly miroku even a browning citori special trap or winchester 101 to better handle the abuse a 12 gage would dish out.

anything is repairable but you must consider your base price on a 150. dollar repair bill.

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I own (3) Huglu's .410, and a matched pair 16.ga, and 28 ga, Fine fit and finsih and nice engraving. The guns are all a bit heavy for the gauge but they do swing well. I use the 28 for sporting clays and have never had a problem. I shoot trap with the .410 from time to time just for fun and never had a failure or a double.

17. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Thanks for the input y'all.

From what I've been able to learn it seems that for the most part DeHaan/Huglu has stopped selling standard guns and now is only taking custom orders. The one I shot earlier this year was a custom ordered gun that not only shot well but was beautifully made!

I'm still not sure I"m ready to make the jump from Beretta though. I emailed DeHaan the day before I started this post this post and told them I was seriously thinking about ordering a shotgun. I asked them a few specific questions about different options. I"m still waiting for a reply. You would think if all you do is custom guns and someone comes along and wants to spend their money on one, that they would at least answer their E-mail? So, either they don't care, or they have more work than they are capable of managing. I was a bit disappointing actually. I still haven't worked it out one way or the other, but I thank you all for the responses!

Bob

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

These guns are made of soft metal which isn't hardened. Sears wear quickly, and will wear just as quickly after they are re-cut. Fit and finish is sloppy at best. Barrel regulation and choke installation is poor and haphazard. Don't buy one b/c you have to have an o/u to be cool so you can keep up with your buddies at the club. They'll be laughing at you for wasting your $ on a POS anyways, and they'll be out shooting while your gun is away being repaired, which will be probably annually or bi-annually. Buy an 1100 and you'll be WAY better off in the long run, or save your pennies until you can afford a browning or beretta.

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

These guns are made of soft metal which isn't hardened. Sears wear quickly, and will wear just as quickly after they are re-cut. Fit and finish is sloppy at best. Barrel regulation and choke installation is poor and haphazard. Don't buy one b/c you have to have an o/u to be cool so you can keep up with your buddies at the club. They'll be laughing at you for wasting your $ on a POS anyways, and they'll be out shooting while your gun is away being repaired, which will be probably annually or bi-annually. Buy an 1100 and you'll be WAY better off in the long run, or save your pennies until you can afford a browning or beretta.

20. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Ha. I've already got a closet full of Berettas. I'm not worried about impressing anyone. I'm too damn old for that. I've got Brownings also. No Perazzi's or Kreighoffs yet though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dehaan 28 gauge
dehaan shotgun
dehaan shotgun reviews

dehaan shotguns

dehaan shotguns for sale

dehaan shotguns review
dehaan shotguns reviews
used dehaan shotguns for sale