1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Define "tighten up" an over/under please...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slodsm, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slodsm

slodsm Member

Say you have an older beretta combo that you truly love and shoot well (682x) and would like the gun freshened up. Still tight but the lever is close to center and the receiver and top single could use a fresh blue and the wood although in good shape could use a stripping and refinishing. Who would be the choice(s) to send it to, average turn around time, and average price?
    Thanks for any help.
    Jeremy

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Define

Cole Gunsmithing.. up in Maine would be my first choice for Beretta work..

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Define

Yup...agree. Cole would be my only choice.

4. slodsm

slodsm Member

Define

Thanks guys. I checked around on their website and it looks like I'm going to have to buy/borrow a trap gun. Their prices are reasonable and work looks outstanding but I couldn't go 90+ days without saying "pull" 5 or 6 thousand times and that's how long turn around is on wood.

They did have some beautiful Monte Carlo aaa wood for 850 + fitting that might speed it up but that's putting me in the 2000 range for a refinish and tighten job and at one point or another, my wife will see my check registry hahaha.

Thanks for the location and advice.

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Define

Call Doug Braker and see what he can do for you.

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Define

Along as my name was mentioned, I'll have a go at the term "tightening up"

Generally, there are two areas that will tend to get loose, 1)the locking bolt and/or the lugs on the barrel wear to the point you can feel movement in the locked action with the forend removed. The position of the top lever is also a tell-tale sign. 2)With the gun cocked and the action half open, you can feel movement side-to-side at the pivot point.

To correct number one, installing a new oversized locking bolt(pins in the case of a Beretta) or rebuilding the existing locking bolt should take care of it.

For number two, material needs to be added to the backside of the forend lug...welding. Perazzi type 4 guns have a replaceable plate to take up the slack, but in many cases the forend lug will still need to be welded.

As for the cosmetics, yep, wood refinishing does take some time. My turn-around is 6-7 weeks, but I'll bet there are a few of the woodworkers that could par that time down some.

I believe the Beretta barrels still have soft-soldered side ribs, so expect a higher cost for the rust-bluing method needed to reblue them. A lot of shops are in the $300 per barrel range.

An option you may want to consider for the barrels is the teflon coating I offer. The tefloned barrels will have the exact same matte black as what your current bbls have. The teflon provides a shield against moisture and also much more wear resistance. The cost is near half the cost of rebluing,and I offer a two year warranty against the above.

Doug Braker

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Define

Doug would be my choice, hands down

8. slodsm

slodsm Member

Define

Doug great explanations and I appreciate it. I'll email you with questions when I'm not on my phone where it takes an eternity to type.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Define

I think Doug can fix anything! He sure solved the problems I'd had with my Beretta 303 for a long time in short order too! Matter of fact, he also helped me out with a P trigger!! I owe you a beer Doug! Thanks again!

Hap

10. slodsm

slodsm Member

Define

Thanks for the info Hap. Doug, PM inbound since I don't have your email.

Jeremy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.