1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Defibulator at Your Gun Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CharlieAMA, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does any of your gunclubs have a defibulator on hand, and someone trained to use it? This topic came up at Amarillo last week, so I thought I would check here, and see what you say about it. I'm sure there are liability problems involved with this. Thanks, Charlie Henderson, Amarillo, Texas

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Charlie,

This was discussed here at length about 3 weeks ago. You may want to do a thread search and see what was said.

ss

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Something I posted on the subject on my website a few years back...

http://www.losttarget.com/defib.htm

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yes

Powder Creek Shooting Park<br>
    Lenexa, KS

5. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Yes

Oxford Gun Club, Oxford Pa

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

No, the guys at my club enjoy fibbing too much! Seriously though, it is a great idea!!

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Yes.

Sauk Prairie Trap & Skeet Club, WI

Tim

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Yes we have one, I am trained, free from liability.

Boulder Valley Sportsmans Assoc.

9. CharlieAMA

Thanks for your responses so far. Sorry, I am not a regular computer guy, but I get on here when I can. Thanks Alot guys!

10. CharlieAMA

I went back 3-4 weeks and couldn't find the previous threads, but I will take what I can get. Thanks Guys! Charlie

11. Riverrunt

Riverrunt Member

Link to previous thread on the subject

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hey Wally, I think it's great that you have a defibulator, but does the Honeywell Chronotherm thermostat beside it still run? They made them back in the 70's and usually the clock only ran for a year or two, you might have a collectors item LOL

13. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Hey Catpower, I agree about the thermostat.

We put a defib in after a member had a heart attack on the line. He was alright but it made us think long and hard. Forget about the liability! The alternative is a bigger issue. If your buddy, wife, son or daughter drop dead on the line and a defib was the only way to save them, would you care at all. No! You think the dead guy or woman is going to care that you shocked them? NO! You think they will sue because you disrobed them? I believe they would rather be alive!

There may be a liability issue somewhere, but frankly, if you are trained which takes about an hour to two hours, and go by the instructions that are audibly given to you by the machine, there should be no problems. The machine tells you when to shock or not by monitoring the victims pulse. If the patient needs a jolt it says to go ahead. If not it says wait. Batteries last for years, the hospital maintains it free of charge at our location, and we are set to retrain or refresh our memories again this spring. The cost is around $1,500.00. We took up a collection and had the money donated by 15 members within a few days. We trained about 12 key persons whom are at the club very often if not every time it is open.

So far we have not had to use it. I pray we never do, but in the event we do, We have the tools to make the difference. You only have 4 minutes to make a real difference, can your EMT group get to your gun club in 4 minutes?

I hope every club in america has one of these some day. Don't delay, someones life may be at stake, it may be your own!

Mark Stevens
    Buffalo Gun Club, MN.

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Put me down for a $100 donation toward a defibulator for Amarillo. AJ

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's be alot cheaper and easier just to use a set of cables hooked to a truck's battery.....

Curt

16. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Ansonia R&G in CT and Wallingford R&G in CT are two that I know of

The Wallingford club's AED includes an 02 cylinder as well

I used to be an EMT (EMT-D) - Defib Tech in the late 80s and early 90s
    The AEDs have become much simpler than the ones I was certified to use
    In CT we had the Laerdahl Heartsteart 2000s which were much larger and heavier than today's yellow pack AED.

The one I had was not a true "AED" it was a "Semi-AED" You applied the leads, white on right, red on ribs, and pressed to analyze. The control module in the HS 2000 was programmed to allow a shock if it read V-Fib. (Ventricular Fibrillation) or V-Tach (rapid heartbeat above 160 bpm) If the machine read other rythyms that might warrant a shock - it wouldn't allow the machine to charge and for the EMT to administer the shock. There was an ALS (Advanced Life Support) override module if a Paramedic came on the scene and decided to administer a shock anyway.

The BLS (Basic Life Support) 02 protocol would be 15 liters per minute through an ambu bag if administering artificial respiration or 15 lpm via non-rebreather (reservoir bag under regular mask) if the patient was breathing on his/her own

Since BLS (EMT) response is 10 minutes in most communities and ALS (Paramedic can be 20 minutes or more into the patient's "Golden Hour") First response training in basic first aid, CPR and AED makes the difference between life and death in many cardiac arrests or other cardiac emergency.

Paramedics typically use the "LifePak" series of defibrillators/monitors which have a range of functions far beyond the AED. But the average citizen can be trained in CPR and AED in a day.

The training levels of each EMS level vary by state but roughly all of them follow a basic protocol outlined from the federal guidelines of the late 1960s

They are as follows

First Responder (called MRT in CT for "Medical Response Technician") 40 hours.
    Includes most municipal and state police officers, some municipal firefighters in larger cities, some volunteer firefighters assisting a rescue or ambulance or ambulance driver.

Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)

originally 86 hours in 1966 is now 120 hours in CT (was 106 hours when I took it in 1989) Includes all the first responder skills of the MRT plus patient assessment, monitoring vital signs,
    Oxygen administration, use of HARE Traction splint, KED Kendrick Extrication Device and in some states intramuscular injection (IM) assistance for diabetics with insulin or bee sting allergy patients having their own medication but are unable to administer it (EMT-B in CT) EMT-D with automatic defibrillator is now part of the Core EMT course in CT. Some states also inclde MAST (Military Anti Shock Trouser) and/or EGTA (Esophogeal Obturator Airway) as advanced tiered levels above basic EMT

EMT-I or Intermediate (also called "IV" Tech) is an EMT with 60-80 hours above basic EMT who can do airway intubation, start IVs (but not add drugs to them)
    and MAST if not previously certified to inflate them under EMT ratings

EMT-P or "Paramedic" is 600 to 800 hours of training beyond basic EMT and in some states (including CT) also requires at least one year in the field as an EMT before being accepting in the training class. EMT-P is the closest rating to a doctor you will find outside of a hospital setting, on the street when 911 is called. Medics can administer drugs, cardiovert (administer lower shock to reset heart rythm on someone who ISN'T in cardiac arrest yet), decompress chest air pockets with 10 guage needles, etc. Specific EMT-P protocols and procedures will vary by state and region under the direction of their sponsor hospital's doctors opinions.

All firefighters in CT volunteer, or paid must now be AED certified in CT

17. vdt

vdt Active Member

we have one at Hamilton Gun Club,Ontario ,Canada

18. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Curt,

Using jumper cables is a little tough on the nipples ain't it?

Cherokee Gun Club Gainsville, GA we have 3 defibs, no waiting at our place.

"You drop, we shock"

19. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

when I'm there shooting we do, other times I don't think so.

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

already saved a life in 2008 at chatuge gun club. that and a land line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.