1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Defacto ammunition ban has begun in NYS

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by skeet_man, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Have been poking around on the internet to see if I can lay in some more .224 bullets for a vaguely reasonable price.

Found some at midway that I was considering if the shipping wasn't half horrible. Went to check out, no-go, the won't ship them to me. In the past I had problems with them shipping to me b/c my shipping address is Rochester, and apparently they have a problem shipping to the City of Rochester (which I'm not even near, but I have a Rochester mailing address and zip code). Anyways, I figured out I could use my gun club's address, which is about 8 miles away without issue. Never used it, but it would allow me to order ammo if I wanted to.

Tonight, I'm not able to order bullets, primers, wads, or loaded ammunition from Midway, regardless of what NYS address I use. And the ammunition provision of the law doesn't even go into effect for at least a year, and at this point, effects only loaded ammunition, not components, and only effects the buyer, not the seller!

Hoping the 500 bullets I ordered last week, and the 16lb of powder I ordered last night actually show up, and the dealers I ordered them from have my stuff (they did when I ordered), and don't get squirrely and cancel my order.

2. skeet_man

SG Ammo, Natchez, Midway, and CMP will no longer ship ammunition to NY, and most won't send components either.

I have 3 pending orders with other dealers, a large bullet order and a powder order (both have charged CC and show "Processing") and a smaller bullet order that won't even be looked at for probably 2 weeks. Praying everything comes through OK. Won't be relieved until I actually have product in hand.

Guess I'll have to go back to OEM 20ga and 28ga wads, since I currently use Dusters and they have no NYS dealer.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Looks like you might need to ride south and stock up

4. skeet_man

Believe me, its in the plans. Finding suitable powder and primers shouldn't be a problem, but finding the bullets you want might be.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I see this as a golden opportunity to become an ammunition and reloading dealer in NYS. Perhaps some gun clubs ought to look into branching out for revenue.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

There IS a BIG ammunition and reloading dealer/supplier in NY. Beikirch's is located in East Rochester. Larry Evans

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Skeetman is correct about this situation, but it is disappointing these companies are doing this for no reason. It hurts shooters (customers), and I don't believe there is any reason for it, at least yet.

8. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

We also get to go thru a back ground check and be "flagged" for buying "large" amounts of ammunition. What ever that means.

I myself am leaving this liberal state at the first opportunity. My taxes never stop going up and now this.

Joe in Western New York.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Skeetman is correct about this situation, but it is disappointing these companies are doing this for no reason."

870 I share your frustration and I do know something about these types of issues. I live in MA and after buying a new press for metallic cartridge reloading. and getting everything needed to get back to rifle and handgun reloading.

I ordered bullets and some brass for a cartridge I have never reloaded before well Midway told me they will not ship to MA. When I asked why I was told that it is Midway policy, they don't ship components or ammunition to MA.

I asked to speak to someone in charge that could enlighten me as to the reasons that they set this policy. I was referred to the sales manager. He said that Midway was threatened with a very large fine by the state of MA if they were caught shipping to MA.

He said they told him it was against the law in MA to allow any company to ship to MA.

I then checked with the State equivalent of the NRA. They told that no such law exists in this state. I asked what I could do about it I was told the only option was to file a law suite.

So depending on what Midway and the others are being told by the state of NY the companies are not going to challenge the state and maybe get themselves in trouble. So maybe there is a reason for it.

Don't just assume that the state won't lie to them just to get what they want because they will if they can get away it.

Bob Lawless

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

If I remember correctly, King Cuomo said they were going to make internet sales illegal unless stuff was shipped to a FFL dealer. As for telephome sales, I'm not sure. A well known local radio talk show host said to use the word cuomo when referring to poop, waste, feces, etc. One of the listeners called and said he had just let his dog outside and it left a big pile of cuomo in the grass.

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Yes, once everything is effective, ammo will not be able to be shipped directly to purchasers, phone orders are no different than internet.

The issue is that currently, those provisions are not effective and shipments can certainly be made today just as they were last week before the back-door legislation was signed. It seems to me that the registration of ammo sellers and the provisions for face-to-face sales by FFLs or registered ammo sellers is effective no earlier than one year after the law was adopted, and if the State Police record system is not set up by that time, than not until 60 days thereafter.

12. bsekf

bsekf Member

I was turned down on a brass and bullet order at Midway yesterday.

870, where are you getting your information. I contacted Senator Young's office yesterday, she voted NO, and they do not have an effective date for the new law.

Looks like the shooting sports suppliers are going to knee jerk just like the NY house and senate.

Is it time to secede from New York City?

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Any advertisers on this board not shipping to New York?

14. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I believe the reason MidwayUSA will not ship ammo or ammo components is because the State of Kennedy, I mean Massachusetts requires all sellers of ammuition be licensed.

When ever an internet seller has tried to sell, the AG of MA threatens the seller with court action, imprisonment and fines.

Of course the next question is well, why don't they get the license? It has been said applications are either ignored or refused. Sales over the internet are harder to audit.

Link of the MA statue posted above.

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

bsekf:

It's in the bill, scary that someone in the Senate doesn't know that. I doubt they even had a chance to read and comprehend it before the vote, at least the senate side of it. Look at the Bill Section 58 (labeled as "S 58" if you look at it). That section sets all the various effective dates. Although the first sentence says it is effective immediately, see the "provided" language that follows.

All of the ammo registration, shipping etc. rules are in the bill at S 50, which creates new law section 400.03.

S 58(e) provides that the amendments to 400.03 made by S 50 take effect one year after it shall have become law.

16. Rick Barker

Ammo described in MA, includes components.

Another link provided for you.

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Sounds to me that some of your State governments are infringing on your rights by harassment tactics such as threatening of lawsuits. When your State legislatures pass these restrictive laws, companies will cease to do business with your residents. I knew an owner of a small trucking company located in NE Ohio will not truck anything to New York State because of your crazy laws, yet I see advertisements for businesses to lacate in New York. I would never locate any business to your Peoples' Republic. In addition, I wrote an email to the New York State Dept. of Tourism and I indicated I would not travel or vacation through this State until they quit tramping on their citizens' constitutional rights. This also applies to Massachusetts & California. BT100dc

18. ivanhoe

To those concerned the laws hear in MA require a license to sell Ammunition is require in MA. That is true however I have read the laws and the link above is to chapter 140 of the general laws of MA.

To understand them one needs to read Section 121 thru 131P inclusive In those laws I have not found anything that says the state can require a company form outside the state to buy a license in MA.

I further can not find anything that forbids internet of mail order sales.

Oh Ya BTW the sections of the everyone need to read are redicules hear in MA it is 41 sections of the law. GEEEZ

Bob Lawless

19. Rick Barker

Bob,

If you are correct in your findings, regardless what the law says or does not say, the intimadation factor can cause companies like Midway to refrain from arguing with the AG of the State, when the AG threatens lawsuits and fines.

The fact interstate sales are not mentioned, might also work for the State, saying does not matter the form of sale, the seller must be licensed.

20. ivanhoe

Well that could be but how is it possible to require an out of state company to pay for a license in the state I live in. Midway is a long way from me and MA.

To my way of thinking that is like requiring a freight company to pay for a license to ship theit freight to that state. What would be the inducement to sell care if they can sell ship it to that state????

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.