1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Ticks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Has anyone on here eber been bitten by deer ticks? What did they do to you, and did you get any medication?

Matt Woodson

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The tick would have to be on a mouse and be infected before biting you to get Lymes disease if thats what your worring about. I have had Lymes disease around 1997 and was treated with an antibiotic for a month. I have had maybe 3 ticks since then that were bitten into my skin and I pulled them off with tweezers.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Look for a bullseye (red/white/red) around the bite site, If you start feeling flu like symptoms or weakness, aching joints GET A BLOOD TEST in fact to be sure get one than wait a couple of weeks and get another. Lymes can be nasty and have long lasting effects if not caught and treated.
    I have had 2 friends that spent long stays in the hospital thanks to Lymes I have been bitten by both deer ticks and the woods ticks but other than the nuisance of the bite and removing the little critters I have had no other problems. The first deer tick I thought was a blackhead until a closer look with a magnifying glass.

--- Chip King ---

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well, I went to the doctor last Monday. They appeared on Sunday. He thought it was poison ivy. I told him that I hadn't been around any. He gave me steriods and antibiotics. I still have bumps and blisters!

Matt

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

My wife counted over 160 bites on my left leg,thigh and buttocks, she didn't bother to continue on the right side which had about as many. I must have got into a colony of them while helping pull a downed tree out of an access road on a hunting lease. It happened on a weekend, so I didn't see a Dr. till Monday morn. He gave me a shot and prescribed Prednisone. It cleared the itching up in a couple of days. Yes I know about Deet, but we didn't intend to be out of the truck, intended to just do a drive through. I used a bath of Clorox water to get them off, got most but some survived. My Dr. said if ever again to get a lice shampoo and wash down with it to kill them immediately. Worst itching I've ever encountered. J.W.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

J Wolllsey, sounds more like you got bit by bed bugs not a deer tick, do a search on Lymes diesase and look for pictures...ticks don't "bite" as in a mosquito or black fly, the "attach" and don't let go!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Frank C,

He did not get bit by bed bugs. Ticks have different stages of life, larva stage, nymth stage, and adult stage. He was probably attacked by ticks in the nymth stage. Difficult to see and you don,t feel them when they bite you.

Most don't realize how big a problem the ticks are. Many deseases can be transmitted by them. Six of those are fatal is left untreated. Our fearless leaders would rather protect the environment than protect the humans who live there. So they have reduced the effective pesticides and have elliminated most of the spraying inorder to protect the birds and the fish. HMB

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I got bitten by a tick and had the "bullseye" symptoms and my dr said the blood test for Lyme disease was only about a 60% chance to detect it so I had the antibiotic administered anyway at his request. I wouldn't wait to treat it as its a bad deal to get.

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You don't always get the bullseye when you contract Lymes, and Lymes disease can kill you. You do, however, get the flu symptoms. I was bitten and treated in the same year as Toolmaker.

Remember that it's the deer tick (tiny ones), and not the bigger tick, that carries this disease. Check for them often and take them off right away.

HMB has given you a good warning. Look up the various diseases that you can get from ticks, and be vigilent.

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Rebel,

Sounds like a terrible waste of Avery Island's best to me...

Guy Babin

Cajun at Large

11. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Hi Woodson,

Don't mess with it! I got a deer tick bite in Wisc. in 2007 while Turkey hunting. I pulled it out after perhaps being inbedded for 6 to 7 hours . Got a disease called Erlichliosis from it. Rare and like Limes disease. Felt poor one morning at work with a bad headache and a slight fever about 10 days after I returned home from the hunt. Went home, which I never do, around 10:00 by 3:00 I had a fever of 105 and was unable to sit up from the couch. Spent 5 hours in the emergency room. Suffered with that fever for two days before the meds kicked in. Bad headaches for about 3 to 4 months. Antibiotics for 30 days. Now it is August 2009 and I still have arthritis symptoms from that. Hands, knees and joints hurt everyday. Told those symptoms should go away in 1.5 to 2 years but still here. I was told the syliva from the tick injects a chemical that keeps the wound open. It is the syliva that infects you and only takes a small amount of time to become like me. GET CHECKED TODAY!!!!! Haven't been to keen on Turkey Hunting in May since!

By the way, if you get what I caught, you can never donate blood again, and are put on a black list with the infectious disease center. SUCKS!!!

Mark Stevens
    MN. aka: Coach

12. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I had the first recorded case of Rocky Mt. Spotted tick fever in CA about 58 years ago so I am very nervous when it comes to ticks. First thing I do when Turkey hunting in the spring is use a repellant called Repel. Havn't had a tick on me in five years and I hunt some tick infested country. The other bit of advise given by a nurse is if the tick is in you, take a cotton ball and put liquid dish soap on it and hold it there for half a minute. The tick will back out.

13. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Its Lyme disease not Lymes.

14. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

In our county the health department standard of care recommends that just a bite from a deer tick = a course of Doxycycline. Infact, they recommend the tick be brought to the doctors office to determine if it was a deer tick. :) Kim

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Kim,

What county and state would that be? HMB

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Did you hear about the hooker who got Lymes disease?<br>
    <br>
    She took a ticking but kept on licking.

17. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Hey Matt, If you want to talk about Lymes & are checking TS.com @ the Grand look me up.

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

ebsurveyor,

Good to shoot with you Saturday!

Matt

19. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Click on the above web-site from the Center for Disease Control regarding lyme
    disease. :) Kim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cotton ball trap deer ticks