1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Slug Rec.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esetter, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have a Remington 11-87 with a Remington fully rifled slug barrel. Was wondering what slugs you have had the best luck with out of a 12GA rifled Remington barrel. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Hornady or remington copper will work the best.
    Chris

3. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

no way of telling till you shoot several different brands
    your 11-87 will shoot different than somebody elses.

take it to the range

kevin

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I provided a link to a thread of a deer slug discusion from here a few days or so ago. There is probably some info that will help.

5. esetter

esetter Active Member

I know different guns shoot differently, just wanted to get a starting point.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I did a review for Shotgun Sports Magazine on a Remington 870 Super Slug a year ago and tested eight saboted slug loads in 2-3/4" and 3" for accuracy in its 25" rifled barrel. The clear winner was the 2-3/4" Remington Premier CopperSolid loaded with solid copper one-ounce hollow-pointed bullets having an advertised muzzle velocity of 1,450fps. It printed three-shot 100-yard groups averaging 1.762" while the average for its 3" version was 3.057". Some loads shot into groups over 12 inches, so trying a bunch in your gun is wise.

Below are some photos of the gun and ammunition tested. The scope is a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm with a standard duplex reticle.

Ed

averaged_2008_0303271.jpg

averaged_2008_0303272.jpg

averaged_2008_0303274.jpg

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

According to an article in American Rifleman, the 20 gauge Remington slugs were the most accurate of the 4 brands tested.

8. fcd67

fcd67 Member

I really like Lightfield 's. They group well and put a hole the size of your thumb into what ever you are shooting at. I have used Winchester Supreme's. They grouped well but I didn't like the damage they did, the exit hole was the same as the entry and that was small. I shot some Remington premier copper solid's at a target for a friend a few days ago and they put very small holes on paper compared to the Lightfields. They didn't group that well out of his gun(Mossberg). I have him switching over to Lightfields. Good luck.

9. AveragEd

As you can see in the photo of the bullets and sabots from the loads I used, the diameter of the bullets varies greatly. Some of the sabots have very thick petals with smaller-caliber bullets while others have thinner petals and larger-caliber bullets. The muzzle velocities of those loads varied a great deal, too, so that has to be figured in when choosing a load. A smaller-caliber expanding bullet at higher velocity might do more damage than a slower-moving larger-caliber one that doesn't expand much.

I might be all wet with this theory, but I attributed some of the inaccuracy I encountered to the sabots. Some had one petal that didn't open and they flew way out of the line of fire - could they have deflected the bullets when they separated from them unevenly?

I think to properly select a slug load you would have to shoot loads for accuracy over a chronograph to find the two or three that grouped well at high velocity and then test those few loads for their expansion qualities in wet newspaper of something.

I didn't go into that level of testing because I frankly didn't think slugs were accurate enough for me. I'm spoiled to rifles - even a muzzleloader - that print one-hole groups or close to it. Neither my son or I were able to get any load to shoot consecutive groups of the same size. Again, perhaps the inconsistent condition we found the fired sabots in may have contributed to that.

Slug hunting just didn't prove to be our cup of tea, so I sold the gun.

Ed

10. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

I have the same 11-87 with a fully rifled cantilever barrel, it shoots 2" groups at 100 yards all day, very effective to, 11 pointer in NW Ohio at 254 yds, measured with rangefinder, it was lotsa luck though
    Dave B

11. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

brain fart, I use copper solids by Remington,
    Dave B

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

One of the most accurate slug slingers I've seen is the H&R 10 ga. size barrel in 12 ga. Heavy single shot but man does it shoot good close groups!

Not all fully rifled slug barrels shoot real good either, same as a lot of hunting rifles won't either when it comes to group size.

Hap

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Got that right Hap. It's exactly what i use. Look how thick the barrel is.
    grntitan_2009_2503165.jpg

14. DJM

DJM Member

The problem with this exercise is it is hard on the shoulder and hard on the pocketbook. I see 5 packs of 12 gage slugs on the shelf for $15. A friend was telling me it took 17 shells to sight in his new slug gun due to scope mount issues. Gets to be an expensive day at the range.

15. AveragEd

Yeah, they sure aren't fun to shoot, especially with 3" shells. But that's what I have a son for. The muzzle jump was so bad that we ran a sling under the shooting bag and he pulled back on it to both steady the gun and control it when he pulled the trigger.

Ed

averaged_2008_0303275.jpg

16. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I shot the Rem copper solids for several seasons out of my 1100 w/Hastings barrel. They always shot good, then went to Lightfields about 3 seasons ago...not in love with them out of my gun, so this season am going back to the Rem. copper solids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

most accurate slug gun