1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer shot at 757 yards!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Claypoppy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

I currently stream for my T.V. One of the channels available is the "Pursuit Channel". Recently they broadcast a hunting show called "The LongRangers". On this particular show, the host was promoting a particular brand of custom rifle and went to Alaska to "hunt" Sitka Blacktails.

This clown actually took a prone position shot off of a backpack at a fine buck ranged at 757 yards! The fact that he made a perfect killing shot has nothing to do with the fact that I think this type of behavior is unethical.

I am 63 years old and have been a hunter since I was a young boy. I have taken over 50 big game animals with rifle and bow, and I know how things can and do happen on a hunt, good and bad. There is no way in life that I think anyone should ever be taking shots at animals at these distances. I don't care what your credentials are as a rifle shooter or how good your rifle is. There are too many variables in this equation such as the animal moves or a gust of wind to name a few.

If you want to practice your long range rifle shooting, the range is the place to do so, not the hunting woods. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD! We owe the animals we hunt at least this much.

I am curious as to how this thread will be received by my fellow hunters/shooters and look forward to your opinions/responses.

Good Luck and Good Shooting.

Cold Iron, Steve W, shot410ga and 10 others thanked this.
  2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder if there were any bad shots before they got
    to tape a good one? HMB

Steve W, likes-to-shoot, shootbad and 2 others thanked this.
  3. Jethro15

Jethro15 Active Member

Ive got confirmed kills on groundhogs at 725, 721, 691 and 655. All had missed involved, prior to dialing in. I'm sure that I could make the shot on a big game animal, but don't know that I would risk it. I would venture to say, that not too many bullets are tested for terminal performance at those ranges.

mxsst and Claypoppy thanked this.
  4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Longest shot I've taken on a deer was 425 yards - a head shot and I connected. Taken to make a point.

I shoot/practice a lot - A LOT.

This was NOT a shot I would normally take - typical long shot I would take is 300 ~ 350 chest shot on a stunning buck (I've done this too). I've 'passed' on longer shots that I felt I could have made, but something just didn't feel right so I didn't pull the trigger. Longest I recall was around 800 yards - crossing shot on a large doe across an open field in dead air. I figured there were others I could take later during the hunt.

----

First, I agree, that this is just a crazy distance. I know there are new rifle/scope combinations that can actually do all the work for you, but to me that is not hunting. I guess if your life depended on the food, or maybe if it was a 'buck of a life time' I can understand risking the shot, but short of that - NO.

That being said military snipers are taking shots at one mile and longer on a regular basis. They are using tools available to us, so if you can pony up the money and spend the time studying and shooting - why not??

I suspect very few hunters would do that - the time needed to shoot like that is unmeasurable, I am sure.

Here is a search of videos for incredibly long shots - 1000 yrd rifle shot videos - Google Search

There is also a TV show, focused on a scope that does all the calculations for you - I can't find the link, but will look some more.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Claypoppy thanked this.
  5. Yoda117

Yoda117 Active Member

Kind of takes the spirit out of the hunt if you ask me. I can understand those who enjoy long range marksmanship (and I partake whenever I have the chance), but when hunting I always felt that stalking the animal or setting the scene (calling, setting up feed near a blind, etc.) was part of the experience.

HSLDS thanked this.
  6. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting.

I once drove 5 miles to buy a porterhouse steak.

Francis Marion, puablo, dgh and 1 other person thanked this.
  7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there are a lot of guys that get a different message from shows like this and the market for long range rifles and optics is growing rapidly. It is a lot of fun to make long range shots but I don't like the idea for big game. Varmints, steel plates and paper targets should be the application for this sort of thing. I'm also glad that we have a bunch of talented shooters that can and do make shots on bad guys at 1,0000 + yards with regularity. So I guess I'm on the fence regarding long range rifle shooting - its a real demanding shooting skill that does have useful applications.

8. SecondChance

SecondChance Active Member

I both hear and understand what the OP is saying in his observation of the shot in a ethical sense. BUT!!! With todays vast array of tools available to calculate proper wind speed, bullet drop, spin drift, ballistic coefficient equations, shooting at these distances are not as "magical" or "lucky" as people believe. Not to mention the new advances of technology in scopes, rifles and projectiles available today. With having been sent to some of the better schools teaching these skills, I have been witness to many great shots at distances that most people cannot conceive nor believe. And these shot were done repeatedly, not just happenstance. Some of these specialized delivery systems, mine included, are costing more than half the vehicles in the parking lot that day. That is what we train for and are trained for when the time comes.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Pretty great shooting; the quality of todays equiptment and good training makes this possible. BUT, it is just killing NOT hunting in the traditional ethic or spirit of fair chase. Why the need to shoot this way and at those distances on a live target makes no sense me. To each their own I guess.

SecondChance, shootbad and Claypoppy thanked this.
  10. Yoda117

Yoda117 Active Member

I will specifically request you the next time we have a deer holding someone hostage.

/I get your point, but couldn't resist having fun with this last statement

SecondChance thanked this.
  11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Yoda,

You are right on the 'spirit' aspect of hunting.

The person I credit most with teaching me the finer points of hunting/shooting had me stalk up on a fawn once. I got within ten feet. It never saw/smelled/heard/sensed me - it just walked away oblivious to my being near it.

With that mind set hunting is much more about getting close than killing alone.

Yoda117 and Claypoppy thanked this.
  12. SecondChance

SecondChance Active Member

LOL!!!! Gotcha. Trust me when I say this, "He wont know what hit him" is true!!!!

13. Claypoppy

It's interesting that you would say that.

When hunting videos were in there infancy back in the 70's, I was involved in a few whitetail bow hunting videos. I can assure you that what you are shown in the finished product is definitely NOT what necessarily happened! I quickly discovered that this type of thing was not for me.

14. Claypoppy

One last thing. I have no problem with varmit shooting at long distances. Groundhogs and prairie dogs are not a "game animal" but are exactly what they are called...varmits. I should have stated this when I made my O.P.

big kahuna and shootbad thanked this.
  15. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

You are aware that military match rifle matches are shot from 600 yds to 1,000 yds . I agree 100% percent with you on not taking killing shots that far , but that was well within range of skilled shooters .

GoldEx thanked this.
  16. dolton916

dolton916 Well-Known Member

757 yards? Man I'm tired just thinking of the walk to go get it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leo thanked this.
  17. P3AT

P3AT Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the 1000 yd shooting events were started by a group of PA deer hunters that would set up a bench and spotting scope at their cabin on a mtn and shoot deer across the valley on the side of another mtn.

Pat

gun fitter thanked this.
  18. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with the fact that the equipment and the training is there and the proficiency can be there, but we are talking about live animals. Live animals do not always remain still and considering the chance of movement and considering the time in flight, that variable is just too great to take a chance of a crippling wound and a lost animal,when it is not necessary. I am a bowhunter and tournament archer and have had deer feeding that have taken a step at under 20 yards and the arrow hit the deer 10" behind my hold point. Considering this I could not consider taking a shot at a live target at these extreme ranges since it is not necessary. Bill

v-strom 650 and Claypoppy thanked this.
  19. Claypoppy

Yes, I'm well aware of the capability of a match rifle in the hands of an expert marksman. I have witnessed this personally as the club that I am member of has an 800 yard range and regularly schedules matches with rifles up to, and including, .50 caliber. I have even taken a few shots with some of these rifles at that distance and it is quite an experience.

I still think that it's unethical to take a shot on a big game animal (not varmits, which are not considered game animals) at these distances, no matter how good the rifle or shooter may be. Obviously, others may disagree with my opinion.

v-strom 650 and KS-OKIE thanked this.
  20. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Like I said I agree with you 100% and would never consider such a shot . My father shot military match as a competitor , and was a skilled marksman . I doubt he would have either .

Claypoppy thanked this.