1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer scouting report in Northern Maine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by southjblue, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Looking for info on deer population in the Jackman---Rockwood---Greenville area?I know they have been hurt in past seasons---Thanks---SJB---

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Blue I don't know if this is what you are interested in or not but you can check the link above.

It is just one of many website that came up when I Googled "Deer Report on Northern Maine". There is even a link to this thread try it you might find some really good information.

Bob Lawless

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Bob---I was hoping to hear from some natives---I have hunted up there for yrs and had great susess but not so lately---I'll still go there and walk over our old footsteps---Many many memories---The streams still talk as they babble on---George

4. ivanhoe

Well I don't know about the streams babbling as the only way I hear that now a days is through hearing instruments. Some how thing don't sound as I remember although it is better that not hearing it at all.

I am not a Maine native I am a New England native however but I saw your question and just did a search and there is a lot of information on game in Maine so I though I would pass it along.

Bob Lawless

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Bob---They had some really bad winters the past few yrs and it knocked the hell out of the herd---I have hunted up the golden road in the Comstock MT area and last yr we could hardly find any tracks---It's just a great place to go---The big ones are there if you can find them---George

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I used to hunt just south of Jackman, killed 1 really big 9 pt 23" wide, haven't been back the last few years, most every one i hunted with is too old now or passed on. Man this brings back some good memories...

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

We used to hunt with 24 guys in that area---You may have seen that I am walking over old footsteps and some with tears---We never argued politics and spent most time just talking about the morning hunt---I don't know what is wrong with us anymore,me included---We have so much to be thankful for---I wish I had time to tell you of our great times---I hope they are in heaven watching us with what time is left.Hope I don't sound corney--I just miss the old times---Wish the young could follow---They don't know what they are missing.Maine is A wonderful state---I will go as long as there is life left in me---The kill is only a small part of the hunt---Wish you all could come along---No politics just the morning hunt----gL---SJB---

8. ivanhoe

trapshooterjoe7 a man I used to know had two bucks in the Big Buck Club of Maine one was over 300lbs. The second one was close to 290lbs. He is gone now also it was a long time ago.

Bob Lawless

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Bob---You are right---We had many in the 300lb club---Don't see many like that anymore---George@SJB---

10. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

southjblue,George.

I cant offer to much info that your looking for but I have a place in Rangeley Maine,a little south west of Jackman and Moosehead area.As far as winter kill last year wasn't to bad with big snowdepts, but the years previous where umungious in snowfall.I would bet it is down at this time.Good morning Mr.Lawless!!.

Sandy Holehouse.

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

last Maine season was the worst in recent history, one of the guys I hunt with spoke to a local farmer whose land abuts the area we hunt, he said you should see the blood and gore that the local Coyote population inflicts on the few deer that are left come February! the winter of 08-09 was brutal for the Maine deer herd.....

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I know Frank---I just love it up there---They uped the license to $125.00 I hear.Guess the hunters are down since they have to up it---I'll still be there.
    George@SJB---

13. ivanhoe

Mr. Holehouse it isn't morning here any longer I spent most of the day out and about. Then my wife took me out to supper.

One sad note we had to put down my GSH point today. It was time he was almost 14 no hearing left vision fading. Recently he was loosing weight, to much weight.

It is hard to say but he is better off now, no more tough climbs up the hill in back yard or up the steps into the house. I will miss him though he was a good friend.

At any rate a good evening to you Mr. Holehouse.

Bob Lawless

14. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Hey "BOB",your gettinn a little formal arntcha?????.

Sandy Holehouse.

15. ivanhoe

Sandy I have or everything is I say is considered an attack on my fellow posters....LOL

Bob Lawless

16. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Bob,

Well not in my case,not a problem in the world posting with you!!!!!!!!

Sandy Holehouse.

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Bob---Let me break in---You are very interesting and we don't always agree
    but don't take things personal---I say what I say and the nxt day it's over.
    Keep your cards and letters coming---We are all entitled to our opinions---
    So be it---George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can i find excest location for deer kill in any maine town

deer scouting in maine

deer scouting maine 2014

good area to hunt deer in rockwood maine

scouting bucks in maine