1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer scent

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

This may be WAY OFF topic. I have some deer doe in estrus and buck urine left over from last season. Is this still good for this year ? It wasn't stored in any special manner - in a plastic bottle in my un-air conditioned garage in Indiana.

Can I use this again which positive results ?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm not say'n it won't work, but the fresher the better. What's the worst thing that will happen?

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Put some on and stand in front of a buck. You will soon see if it works.

HM

4. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

The way I get rid of my old scent is to find a favorite spot the Cops use for radar stops and pour some out there. I really like to use skunk or fox cover scent. AJ

5. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

No good, bro. Throw it out. It does go bad. An old wise hunter once said...'the best scent, is no scent'. I live in Indiana too. I have some buddies that have killed many studs over the years. They both have stories of where urine scent spooked big bucks. They both said they have killed big bucks that the urine didn't spook and they actually came to the urine. Bottom line, neither of them use scents any longer. Not willing to roll the dice. Remember, hunting and fishing is an industry. Most of this stuff is geared to catch the hunter and fisherman....not necessarily the deer or the fish. I'm not afraid to admit that I have been snagged a time or two myself!

6. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I kill deer every year. I never use scents. I have tried it years ago, never saw any real results, except......for the biggest buck I ever saw......I watched a neighbor put some scent in a scrape on the other side of a field and when this big guy came and sniffed that scrape, he wheeled around and came running all the way across the field straight to me. I agree with skeeterz ...the best scent is no scent......hunt down wind, you're all set.

7. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I don't use scent from one year to the next as it will go bad, even if you freeze it.

The best scent I ever used was real buck urine taken from the bladder of a freshly harvested 6-pointer a buddy of mine took. After collecting the urine, I put it in film canisters full of cotton balls and kept it in the freezer until I was ready to hunt.

The real trick to using real urine is to hunt a totally different area that is far enough away ( at least 15 miles) from the area were you got the urine. Any deer that smells deer urine that it does not recognize will come to investigate the newcomer to the neighborhood.

The weekend after my buddy got the 6-pointer, I was hunting an old abandoned fruit orchard about 20 miles from where the 6-pointer was taken. I placed 1 canister about 15 yards downwind from my tree on the ground. About 30 minutes after daylight a doe and her fawns were crossing about 150 yards downwind and when the doe got the whiff in her nose, she changed course and came directly toward me. One of her fawns, a botton buck, knocked the canister over. After they had thoroughly checked out the scent they went on about the direction they were originally were headed. About an hour after the doe and her fawns left, a real nice 11-pointer was crossing in the same place as the first deer. Again, when he got directly downwind and caught the scent, he turned and made a bee-line to the canister. When my arrow let the wind out of him his nose was on the canister.

When I field dressed him, I saved his urine in a few empty canisters I keep in my day-pack. The next weekend I went back to the place were the original 6-pointer was taken and took a large doe with the 11-pointer's urine.

My theory is that all the deer in a given area know each other. when a strange deer "shows" up, they will check it out to see if and were it will fit in the loacl "pecking order". Believe me, it works!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.