1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DEER SAUSAGE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

If anyone out there has a good recipie for deer sausage please do!

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I take mine to the meat man, 50 lbs at a time. He makes the sausage. I eat it.

Look up "freezer sausage on the web. Made that once, excellent. NO casing though. You need a stuffer machine and I have none.

Link here seems ok.

HM

3. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Try this one. It came from Italy with my Great Grand parents. It is excellent fresh or dried in my dehydrator.

18lbs- COARSE ground meat.[1/2 venison and 1/2 pork]
    1 cup whole fennel seed
    3/4 cup paprika
    1/3 cup salt [1/2 cup if drying]
    1/4-1/3 cup crushed red pepper
    1 pint cold water

Cube meat into chunks small enough to put into the grinder. Add spices and water to meat and mix well. Grind with 3/8" plate just one time through. Stuff into your casings. Cook and enjoy. To dry, use a heavy needle and pierce the links about 1/2" apart all over. Put it into the dehydrator and dry till about the consistency of pepperoni. When it's dried cut into 1" chunks put in a fry pan with a little water, cover and let cook until the water is gone. Uncover and cook a few minutes more. It's better than fried pepperoni. Enjoy

PS. I'm going on an Adirondack bear hunt with some friends this weekend and if we're lucky I'll try it with bear meat.

4. poacherjoe

5. DJM

DJM Member

What kind of sausage dom you want. Here is my recipe for smoked country sausage that I like a lot. I also have good recipes for summer sausage, dried snack stix and jerky.

Smoked Country Sausage

7 lbs. lean deer (or elk, beef or bear) meat, 5 lbs. pork trimmings, 5 Tbs. salt, 2 ½ Tsp. Prague powder (cure), 5 Tbs. corn syrup solids, 2 Tbs. ground coriander, 4 Tbs. black pepper, 1 Tsp. nutmeg, 1 ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 ½ tsp ground mustard, 1 pint ice water,

Grind meat through a 3/16” plate. Add dry seasonings and mix. Add ice water, continue mixing until all spices are dispersed. Stuff into hog casings, twist into links, hang in smoke house. Dry for one hour at 135 Deg. Smoke 3-4 hours at 135. Cool.

This smoke house cycle will not cook the sausages, treat as raw meat when cooking. Don

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is a product called "Morton's Tender Quick", a curing salt with no iodine and a little sugar and some preservatives that works good for this.

Usedit on a refrigerator sausage rcipe and it worked good.

HM

7. DJM

DJM Member

The Tender Quick is a good product. It does contain a lot of salt and that needs to be factored into the recipe.

8. poacherjoe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.