1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Problem--HELP!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by funski, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funski

funski Member

Hopefully I can get some help from TS Com. readers. You solved my pest problem last spring. Winter is coming and the deer travel through my yard and have caused a lot of damage to my shrubs, bushes etc., I've tried sprays but no luck. Bullets are not an option. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Don't laugh but try Lion Dung. Yes... go to the nearest zoo and get some dung from the lion pen and put it in your flower beds and the deer will leave you alone.

Some Zoo's market it as "Zoo Doo"

T

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Try hanging old cd's or computer disks from the branches on a short string.As the wind blows it moves them around and the deer dont like it. Worked for me in my new apple orchard,keeps them away from the new trees.Also try hair from a mens barber shop in mesh bags,the human scent is there. Ray

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Take soap bars and shave them up into pieces and lay it around your landscaping.

Soap is a Human scent that deer easily smell. Ask any experienced bow hunter. Rain will eventually wash it away, but the smell lingers a long time.

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Hang one up dead in your yard as a warning to the rest?

Sorry, couldn't resist.LOL

6. funski

funski Member

OUTSTANDING----- Keep them coming! I've heard Irish Spring soap has a strong odor.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I used a home remedy concoction. I boiled some water with red pepper flakes in it, along with fresh minced garlic. I then strained the water, and pored it into a spray bottle. I also added a little dish soap to it, and shook it to mix. Sprayed my Arborvitaes with it in winter. Not one bite on them all winter. You have to apply it every once in a while. Just spray from up wind and let the mist drift onto the vegetation. I think just the odor repels them, along with the rabbits. Then if they take a bite, the pepper stings. Also, soap is protein. Meaning animal product. When a dear smells Carnivore, whether it be breath, or waste, they think, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Why not feed them this winter? I feed the local deer all winter with shelled corn. I made a cheap feeder out of an old plastic sled about 4 years ago. I put out about 250# a month on the corner of my property away from my house and garden spot. I haven't lost a tree, shrub or tomato since. Ha, maybe I have courteous deer, but it worked for me.

Another benefit is that they give my Mother, who lives with us, some real joy each evening. And, my grandson's hunt them on the back-40. We've developed a good solid and healthy herd, that are still wild. Just a thought.

Kip

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I would try clorine tablets for swimming pools . Nothing likes that smell . I put some under our trailer at the club and haven`t seen a mouse yet so I`m sure deer won`t like it either . They have eatten all our tomatoes in cages and I didn`t get the idea until 2 weeks ago when I got some tablets and could stand walking past an open container by the garage . I told my brother in AZ with pack rat problems to try them .

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

R. Kipling has a good working solution. Give them an alternative. Also they love apples and right now you can probably find lots of apples on the ground if anybody in your area has apple trees. Gather up what you can and give the deer a treat. Eventually you will get to where you can pitch the apples directly to the deer - great fun, kind of like playing catch.

Remember they are eating the other stuff because they are hungry and unless you get some decent food in them they will continue to forage - bad smell or not.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Six foot high stockade fence solved the problem. HMB

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

If your in Penna. call me, it's artchery season. If not go to any baber or hair stylist and collect the hair clippings. Spread the clippings around your shrubs.

13. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

In all my years of hunting, and farming, from Ohio to Maine, I've never seen a deer run from a gut pile, or blood for that matter. If you want an education on woodland animals put up a trail camera on a fresh gut pile. You'll be shocked by what feeds on it.

My grandson took this buck about 12 hours and 20 yards from a big doe field dressing the night before.

rkipling_2008_03032.jpg

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

There's a product called liquid fence. it's marketed under other names but it's just rotten eggs. works, but it stinks a little. Also called Hinder, I think. Works very well here in northern MI. Bill

15. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Baron23 - Lol!!!! I heard a joke like that one time about some different type of people.

16. Bwana64

Bwana64 Member

Try moth balls. I hear it works.

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Put some Obama signs in your neighbors yards to attract the deer over to their yard to destroy them, thus leaving yours alone.

18. twotimer

twotimer Member

Go to www.tigerhaven.org This is a big cat rescue shelter who have around 300 tigers, lions, etc. They work strickly on donations. Give them a call and see if they will send you some tiger/lion poop for a fee. I hear it works also and you would be doing some rescue cats a big service. They eat about 2500lbs of beef a week! Mike

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to eat some raw beef, and, well you know. I don't think the rye bread, raw onions, salt, and pepper would matter. LOL

20. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Hair works the best. Ive even used it on property that hunters owned that were caught on my property. Went to every hair cuttin place within 100 miles and had a truck load and spent a whole day spreading it out. Needless to say they got what was coming to them and the deer kill for them was few and far between. My buddies and I laugh about it every year bout huntin time.
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.