1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer meets Chevy Trailblazer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I know most of us have seen what remains after a deer gets wadded up along the side of an expressway. I live in Michigan and see more dead deer along our roads than squirrels, rabbits and raccoons combined. I have never seen the inside of a car after a deer has hit the windshield. What I find incredible is that the airbags did not deploy. These are not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. Each post has a different pic. They are not coming through from photobucket.

Jeff

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Tis the season. We are averaging 4 car deer claims a day for the last 2 weeks and not looking good for the next several weeks. We also have had 1 fatality and 1 still in intensive care. Looks like the worst season ever for us and insurance claims.

Don

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

For whatever reason, the bmp images are not coming through from photobucket. Bear with me as I attach the links to each photo. MAN are they nasty. I do hope the driver is OK.

Jeff

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

looks like the deer may have been air bound at time of impact just catching a bit of the lower body. Takes a fairly good hit to set off air bags. I hit a 125lb dog dead square in the middle of my car. Might as well hit a tree. wrecked my car. no airbag deployment. I think by design they only go off when there is enough force, or the air bag will hit you harder than what you hit, most likly hurting you even more.

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've had 4 car-deer accidents and thank god my vehicles didn't look like that. Totaled two of them and was by my self on all of them. Believe me they can just appear out of nowhere.

Bill

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Here they put a divider down one of the most heavily deer crossing roads. More hits while in air trying to jump over divider going onto and through windshields, so the put up a fence along the road 4ft tall,,,now the poor deer gotta jump over 2 things to cross the road.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

How did the people in vehicle fare?? Looks pretty bad..

13. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

A couple of years back, on the way to Kalamazoo, we passed a deer/minivan crash on I-94. The deer had gone all the way through the minivan, ended up in the rear, breaking the rear window. Both the driver and passenger were killed. Most sickening sight I've ever seen.

Best,
    Dennis

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The deer herd in Michigan is out of control in the Southern part of the state. We have deer herds in the cities and the city parks. You can have a car/deer accident right in residential areas not just the rural areas. The high physical injuries are on the roadways especially the X-ways, try hitting one at 80mph. But hit the damn deer, don't swerve because results could be deadly.

Don

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In one area here they had people come in and shoot the deer, some insider bowhunter types got the deal. This was primarily residential/park property.

People want to see the deer so they feed them. this exacerbates the problem.

It is my belief the deer regulations need to be relaxed a little. You need a lawyer to explain the regulations these days.

HM

16. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

On the radio this AM, the guest from Michigan AAA, stated that there were 61,000 car/deer collisions in Michigan last year! Looks like they need to declare deer as fallow, and let the county sheriffs cover the additional hunting.

Best,
    Dennis

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You ought to see what happens when a car hits a cow. We had a client hit a steer that was standing in the road in heavy fog. It came through the windshield opening and bled to death kicking and squirming from the cuts it suffered in the process with the driver pinned under it. The interior damage alone total-lossed the car, a Buick Skylark. The driver suffered no physical injuries but did have some emotional scars.

Ed

18. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

About 3 weeks ago I decided top take a motorcycle ride as it was a nice night. As I left the two lane road to enter the highway entrance ramp I guess I just grabbed 4th gear and started to roll the throttle on to begin the entrance area of the 4 lane (it was dark), when out of no-where a doe jumped over the guardrail and ended up in my "lane". I remember gripping the tank with my knees and hitting the binders and thinking "oh 5hit!" It's quite a sensation skidding at about a 45 degree (or more) angle down the on-ramp. I was prepared for the big thump when the doe stopped in her tracks. At that moment I let off the brakes and grabbed a bunch of throttle and zipped RIGHT by her. Out loud I said "Thank you, God". Sometimes when you have a close call you get all shakey and nervous...this time I could have balanced a champagne glass (full) on the back of my hand and not spilled a drop! I'm just glad someone was watching over me and that the doe stopped just long enough for me to slide to the left of her. I REALLY didn't want to hit one of those on my bike.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

19. BPSR

BPSR Member

Sounds like you were very lucky Jerry. Here in Iowa there have been 10 or 11 deer/motorcycle deaths just this year. The Desmoines Reggister just did an article about this a couple of weeks or so ago. Between the deer and cell phone drivers these days, I don't think they could pay me to ride a motorcycle around here.

20. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Ya gotta be on your toes ALL the time. I expect everyone I meet at an intersection to pull out in front of me. That way I might have an extra split-second to evade. Two wheels is still worth it. I'm just glad I ride a good amount of dirt bike....it teaches you how to slide!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.