1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer meat question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by verypoor, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verypoor

verypoor Member

A friend killed a deer on saturday.It was 5 deg sat and by the time he brought it to me on sunday it was frozen solid.He would like it all made into ground meat.Can it be safely frozen again after grinding?

2. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I've done it many times.

3. verypoor

verypoor Member

thanks,im thinking it will finally loosen up enough tomorrow to cut it for the grinder.I have it hung in my unheated barn.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

yep and contrary to opinion- having added pork and beef fat--- I am of the opinion now not to add anything

If you want to use it for chilli or tacos etc- its better without any added fat

If you were going to do something else with it- you can add fat when you use it yourself if you want or mix it with ground beef

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Exactly what Gene said !! Dennis

6. vdt

vdt Active Member

if you want to keep it as ground meat
    DO NOT PUT PORK Fat in it ONLY BEEF FAT pork fat in time will go bad

7. Beni

Beni Member

I buy boston butts on sale and use that for my mix. I can control the amount of fat in the grind and if I want to make a quick bulk sausage my fat is already in it. Venison with pork stays very well for up to 4 months. If you want to keep it longer than go buy some chuck roast on sale and mix that in. Beni

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Gene is right. Plus, when you run it thru your grinder, use the fine screen, or cut all of the flim (muscle binder)off before you grind it. If you don't you'll have stuff in your meat that you can't chew up. NASTY!

milt

9. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I never want any filler in my ground venison. It's too good to ruin with anything like that! Ground venison makes the best chili and spaghetti that I can think of. My wife and I went thru over 20 pounds of it last year alone.

Tim

10. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

yes although they tell you not to refreeze meat.Most every piece of meat or chicken you buy at the grocery store was previously frozen then thawed for sale.Being a truckdriver for 22 years I have seen this all the time.The reason they tell you this is most people defrost things in the kitchen sink instead of the fridge.Being defrosting is beyond their control if something gets warm while being defrosted it can be bad.....Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.