1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Knocked Out

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by goldenkc, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

First day of opening Deer season, and I shot a medium size 4pt. buck this morning. He went down like a ton of bricks when I shot him at about 20yds.
    He laid there on his side motionless, so I carefully climbed down out of my
    tree with my unloaded gun, and returned back up to retrieve my duffle bag with
    goodies. Put two schells back in my shotgun, and laid it on top of duffle bag. Went over to the buck to examine it, and when I knelt down to turn its head by grabbing the antler,it sprang to its feet. I staggered backwards looking for my shotgun. He turned and started to run when I shot it for a second time, but this time it was dead. Apparently my first shot took his antler off at the base, and knocked him out. He became conscious as I grabbed his antler. That definitely got my heart pumping. A lesson learned.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We had a buck "come too" inside a panel van once. It's a long story.

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience. The only bullet I fired hit him at the base of the antler, creating an enormous white plum. He dropped instantaneously. I didn't skin the head, but didn't find any bullet penetration into the hide or skull damage. He was just plain,,dead..

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Setterman,,I take it you didn't gut him before loading him in the van?

Must have been a case of 'git' while the 'gitn' was good. LOL..

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You'll prod them with your gun first next time. I would have needed new britches.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It's a good thing it wasn't a cape buffalo.

7. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Setterman...I've got time, lets hear it.
    -Trappy

8. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

I always touch the open eye with my gun barrel just to make sure hes dead. It only takes 1 time. If he blinks, he aint dead. Todd

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

C'mon Setterman, I'm with Trappy on this one.LOL I suspect Paladin has already figured out the lead in circumstance. Sure had to be something wild when it came around. Shoot often while we can, Bob

10. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

A fellow at the factory where I worked had that happen to him using a muzzle loader.

He shot the deer and down it went. He didn't reload the muzzle loader or wait any length of time but went immediately to the deer. The deer got up and rammed him against a tree with it's antlers and kept ramming him. It punchured one of his lungs and broke some ribs. He said the only thing that saved him was he had a sheath knife on him. He held on to the antlers, cut the deer's throat and waited for him to bleed out.

The buddies he was hunting with heard the shot and commotion came over and found their buddy unconcious. They got him to the hospital.

He was lucky he lived to tell the story.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Next time, take your stethoscope with you and check out his heart rate.

Zero equals dead........lol

Just glad no one was hurt but your pride.

Plus, you have a new adventure to relate.

Hauxfan!

12. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Setterman we want to hear the story. Was you deer road kill? Kim

13. rick resko

rick resko TS Member

heres a little " road kill" story for your amusement. it is 100% true. lets just say my 2 friends and i had been out having a few cold ones. too many actually. we were driving through a local state park when we saw 4 way flashers up ahead. we pulled over and there sits this middle aged woman with a big doe in front of her car. the car wasnt badly damaged and the doe didnt look to bad either. she said she had called the state police but they hadnt showed up yet and she was in a big hurry. being the gentlemen we were we told her we would wait till the cops got there. she pulled away and we picked up the deer and threw it behind the back seat of my chevy blazer and made tracks. we hadnt gone 5 miles when the guy in the back yells turn on your dome light. i did, looked in the rear view mirror and there stands the deer. none too happy i might add. you want to talk about a chinese fire drill. the guy in the back is trying to climb in front with us. the deer is kicking and bawling all at 55 mph. you should have seen what the back of that blazer looked like by the time we got that tailgait down. all tore up. another true story is about the guy who walks into a bar and askes a friends dad what he had in his trunk. he says nothing, why? the guy says " well theres something kicking dents in your trunk lid" all the old man could say was " ill be right back". he had shot it under the spotl;ight with a .22. lesson learned.

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I shot a buck with buckshot that came back to life. He had two holes in his left horn and a bunch of holes in his ears.Like all good trapshooter's would, I flinched at the thought of that buckshot recoil in a field gun with a field stock. The buck came back to life as I was dragging him off the side of the hill. Long unbelievable story later we killed him with a knife. I gave the horns away along with two 55 gallon drums full of deer and elk racks to the boy scouts for a fund raiser. I wish I had kept that set and my 28 inch forked horn Mule deer. Can't eat horns though and they were taking up space. Jeff

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

"Somebody git me a BambuLance..."

Good stories.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I needs a bambulance!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

This reminds me of an old joke about a Bobcat in a suitcase. I can't remember how it goes, anybody else remember this joke? Thanks...Bill

18. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

Sounds like a lot of poor judgement, bad shooting and tall tales to me.

19. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

Had a similar thing happen to myself, my brother, & grandfather about 15 years or more ago. We were going to our deer camp and turned the corner on a gravel road and there was a hole heard of deer standing in the middle of the road. My Brother was driving and slammed on the brakes and managed to miss most of them with the exception of one spike that just would not get out of the way. We had a big wench and grill on the front of our suburban so it didn't do any damage to it but we thought it killed the deer. So my brother and I jump out and throw the deer up in the back of the suburban. We get back in the car and head down the road when I hear my grandfather start laughing and then he says to me "Babe I don't believe that was is dead yet." I turn around and the sucker is standing up in the back looking eye to eye with me. I yelled oh crude( not really what I said but you get the picture) and we stopped the vehicle. Luckily we left the back glass down on the tail gate and he jumped out of it and ran off. My Grandfather laughed harder than I have ever seen anyone laugh about that. I miss that old man he was a hoot.

Brent Huber

20. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

There could be a story about a bob cat but the one I liked was when "Virgil Ward" told about he and his brothers getting rid of a "pet coon" and they had traveled some distance from home and the coon was in a suitcase and they left the case on the edge of the road and gone swimming themselves in a pond just over the hill out of sight of the road. They heard a car coming and these black guys slowed down and grabbed the suitcase and went on down the road. About a hundred yards up the road the black guys gave that car to the mad coon when they opened the case. Very funny when he was telling it. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.