1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer hunting and 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jag one, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jag one

Jag one Member

Hello Folks, I am leaving for the NW deer woods and at the last minute my Son was able to join me and he is a clay sport shooter and has no rifle so my question is could he use his 391 with 00 buck or slugs and what choke to use? This is the gun he is most familiar with and no time to try something new. Thanks guy's your input would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Bruce

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Mod choke should be good!

3. Jag one

Jag one Member

Thanks Ahab, That is how I was thinking. Bruce

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I use a mod barrel in my Remington 1100 for deer and it works well.

5. Jag one

Jag one Member

I was thinking buckshot to 50 yds. How about slugs? Which is better? We will site in for POI at camp before hunting. Thanks, Bruce

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Slugs definitely.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Foster type slugs, such as the Remington Slugger, do best from barrels with a fair amount of choke. The 2-3/4" Sluggers are doing 3" groups at 100 yards in my 1187. But if I use an IC or C choke, the groups open way up. It is safe to fire these even with a full choke. The "rifling" is not to spin the slug. It is to allow the slug to swage down in mod and full chokes safely.<br>
    <br>
    The only way to know what is happening with your gun and the slugs you are using is to test them for accuracy using different chokes.<br>
    <br>
    Also, a simple bead is not very accurate. Rifle sights are much better, and some even put optics on their slug guns. If you do not have rifle sights, Tru-Glo makes adjustable sights that fit most ribs.<br>
    <br>
    00 buckshot is legal in many states, but it is mainly for very close work. Whenever possible use a slug for hunting. Much superior.

8. Jag one

Jag one Member

Thanks all for the info. I will get some slugs on the way. Already have the oo buck. Thanks again. Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.