1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Hunting - 30 point doe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scott calhoun, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I'm not a hunter, but this item was in my hometown newspaper and I thought some might be interested. It's from southern Illinois, Edwards County.

The info below the picture is from the newspaper.

[​IMG]

A true “freak of nature” was taken west of West Salem during the second shotgun season over the weekend. Richard Lomas, a farm hand for George Knackmuhs, shot this 30 point doe on the late Richard Knackmuhs Farm. The deer, which features a non-typical rack, a drop antler still in velvet and no evidence of male genitalia, also does not appear to have ever given birth. Locals estimate the deer to be about four or five years old. (Photo Courtesy of Joe McNeeley)

Scott

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Lesbian deer?

3. chemist

chemist Member

any nuclear waste or superfund sites around?

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

It's the Elena Kagan of deer!

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I just wish they would quit killing all our small bucks here in Southern Illinois. That's small a 1 1/2 year old. :)

6. Firewater

Firewater Member

I want to see the cooter before I believe it.Mike

7. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I have heard of these before, some where in my Dad's things I have an old newspaper clipping of a neighbor lady who was old as long as I could remember shot a doe with antlers, they we not that big must of been in the 60's when this happened.
    Jeff

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Name her Rosie.

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

On a recent trip to Cabelas in Lacey Washington the Washington State game department had a display set up. Mostly of items that they had taken from poachers. But there was also a table set up for measuring trophies as well. Part of the display was a very nice antlered doe. I do not remember the exact size. All I really remember is that I would of shot her in half a heartbeat if I had seen her in the field. There would of been no way of telling it was a doe until you went to field dress the animal. They had a card that had information pertaining to DNA evidence that the game department had done to prove it was a doe. It was a neat thing to see.

10. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Just a bit off-topic, but has anyone ever heard of a mature buck without antlers ever developing?

Never have myself!

Danny

11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I shot a spikehorn in the U.P.[sorry, had to have some venison] back in the 80's that had the same indentical rack two years in a row. Almost no horns at all. Just barely a legal spike. It had been hanging around my in laws place for two plus years even though they didn't believe in deer feeding. i think the arrested antler development was because of some really hard winters at that time. Bill

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There is something of a hick folklore around here wherein ranch hands will rope young deer and castrate the males. Those altered deer then grow into great big stags that have bigger antlers and bigger bodies than normal bucks because they don't deplete themselves so badly during the rut.

So I guess if a few juiced up cowboys can alter a buck in this fashion then nature can probably produce a few gnetics oddities like the 30 point doe.

13. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

A lot of small antlered bucks in the UP. Used to hunt around Felch, lots of deer all small, one for each hand.

14. lwr_

lwr_ Member

She truly did have a "Nice Rack"!!

15. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Slayer you shot a WV 11 pt so don't feel bad

16. Kansan29

Kansan29 TS Member

We will call her "Chaz"

17. Beni

Beni Member

cool lady gaga !! beni

18. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I've read other stories about antlered does - and I beleive someone in WV shot a huge typical 10 pt that turned out to be a doe a few years back (beleive I saw it in Bowhunters Magazine) - but if I reacll correctly it had never shed it's velvet. Something about hte lack of testosterone preventing the antlers from completely hardening???? All I know is that I wuld have flung an arrow her way in a second.

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

One time 20 years ago I shot what appeared to be a mature doe and when I went to field dress it and found normal male "junk". He had little buttons for antlers that were just as a yearling would have. A biologist told me that he probably had low testosterone levels and that some does have high levels. Obviously this one did.

20. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

A trans-sexual deer?
    I saw a documentary recently that stated that if a bucks antler material lands on another part of the deer, like his face, that spot will grow antlers too. Maybe this doe was head-butting a rutting buck or a yearling sibling. They also said that if a buck was injured, his antlers will not grow as much the next couple years in leu of healing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.