1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Hunting 12pdr Mountain Howitzer - fun read!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Marplot, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Here are full instructions on building and shooting a 12 pound Mountain Howitzer.

Hmm, how many 7 1/2 shot in 12 pounds? Could be modified for trap or skeet if you could find the right choke? :) IC=Improved Cannon?

Well, this is a fun read. Don't actually suggest doing it. Of course not.....

Just click on the above URL
  2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Louisville, KY

The field piece looks to me to be a smoothbore 12 pounder “Brass Napoleon”. These were very lightweight (for the time) and maneuverable canon used by Napoleon's Grand Army. They saw service during the early 19th century up through the Civil War.

As to deer hunting, I prefer chain shot if I can catch a deer in a clearing. Aim low for the legs or you will ruin a lot of meat.

Years ago I knew some Civil War re-enactors who had one. Of course, they flew the Rebel flag (Old Dixie). At a re-enactment, it was expected that the host organization would provide the gunpowder. It took about one pound a shot. Afterwards, it took about a can of Brasso to make the cannon shiny again.

Prick and Prime,

Ed Ward
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.