1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer hunt a bust, but did get 5 fat cottontails

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The cottontails are finally back in huntable numbers in western Oregon. Sean and I bagged five nice fat ones. None were small or scrawny. Don't have an oven right now as we're doing a kitchen remodel. Will probably have to grill them on the BBQ. We used our 1187 12ga with full choke and #6 birdshot. These rabbits were skittish, so they had to be shot at a distance. One was close enough that I just put most of the pattern into the ground in front of him and let the periphery pellets do the job. Disappointed that the #6 shot did not totally penetrate. Will have to pull a few pellets out of the meat. Probably should have used #4 shot.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good to see the numbers are gowing. Back in the 50's and 60's in Indiana I could shoot all I wanted any day I wanted to go. I like them fried like chicken with mash tators and gravy, nothing better. We had what was called a Rabbit feaver risk back then and only shot what ran because if they did not, they may be sick? I hope that is not an issue now?

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

We can hold a hunt in my back yard damn cotton tails are every where! local police will frown, but to bad if they can't take a joke

4. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Stuff with Zatarain’s dirty rice, sew the cavity closed, and put ‘em on the pit. Cook medium slow; baste with a somewhat sweet sauce toward the end.

Yummo.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Fried Rare-Bit.............YUM

6. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Fried rabbit, fried potatoes, and milk gravy. That's liven high on the hog................Roger

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bruce - a good pellet rifle will work

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Cuban I'm busy shooitng tree rats(Squirrels) with the pelt gun.

9. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm, wabbits are tasty!...Bill

10. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

plenty in my yard also,the rws-34 works great!

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Another good thing the Liberals don't know about.

Don

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Venison tates better, but a Cotton Tail Stew is pretty good. What was said about dragging them back to camp? LOL

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

cubancigar2000:

The rabbit fever you make reference to is tularemia. It is a major league nasty. So bad in fact some of the world's mad scientist type bad guys have tried to weaponize it.

Tularemia is caused by a bacterium and most commonly spread in wildlife via biting insects including fleas*, ticks, lice, mosquitos, any of the biting flies, etc. The disease is common in jack rabbits, cotton tails, even snowshoe hares. It affects beavers, ground squirrels and a variety of other mammals and has been isolated in some raptors.

The most common means of rabbit to human transmission occurs when someone is dressing a rabbit. However, transmission is possible from eating an inadequately cooked bunny. As domestic diva Martha Stewart might say, "Rubber gloves and thorough cooking are GOOD things".

sissy

* When I shoot a healthy looking cotton tail that has fleas, I allow it to cool off. Fleas abandon the cooling carcass looking for another warm host. I want them gone before I put the bunny in my hunting coat.

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Tularemia in bunnies is common here in Central California. Recoil Sissy gives good advice. Take a look at the rabbit's liver when you gut him. If it is yellowish or spotted, it probably has tularemia. Don't handle the innards, and cook 'em thoroughly.

That being said, we enjoy rabbit often in season. Fried rabbit, mashed taters, white gravy with lots of pepper,salad and warm biscuits. MMMMM

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had my son use rubber kitchen gloves to dress the rabbits. Not the thin latex medical gloves that tear easily, but heavy duty ones for scrubbing pots and pans in super hot water. And the rabbits looked fine. But as with all wild game meat (and pork) we will cook it thoroughly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.