1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer food plot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Man, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I am going to plant a food plot in a few weeks (after the grand) with winter weat, I was wondering if it would hurt if I threw a little clover in the mix. Should I do this or should I not?

2. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

If you are not to far north use soybeans.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

This post puzzles me, but I suppose deer populations around my home are not found everywhere. In my county in Virginia (population +-60,000) we average two deer vs automobile accidents each day (+- 600 a year). I will do an appraisal today near Blacksburg. The house in in a wooded subdivision with 3-5 acre lots. The number of deer in this subdivision is estimated to be 4 deer per house. Last month, I had the US Forest survey one 105 acre wooded tract I own. It was recommended that I figure out a way to remove 30-40 deer from the tract. They are causing a lot of damage. I would like to invite hunters to come to my land and pay them $20 for every deer they shoot. My wife is not real excited about this idea.

Feed the deer?-- Not on my land.

Pat Ireland

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Mr Charles, Did I read that right? You spray the foliage with round up to kill it? Give me more details please. I plan to start my new feed plots this weekend and plan to plant mostly iron clay peas. Suggestions? Jackie b.

5. BAP

BAP TS Member

I use a mixture of wheat, Rye grass, and oats. I then add some crimson clover, turnips, and rape and the deer seem to love it. On some fields I plant a small field of Oceola clover to the side. Soy beans are great but they seem to mow them down before they produce unless you are planting fields over 10 acres ( we have a over population of deer). One suggestion is to make your own mixture of seeds because the premix varitys are over priced. Bill Parson Jr.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Of all the food plots I've planted, chicory has been their preference. They will chew it right down to the ground and leave the other stuff alone if there is enough chicory in the field. I plant it in late August or Sept.

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Pat, if I lived a little closer I would be happy to cull your heard. My wife and I enjoy venison and I enjoy the hunt................Roger

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- You should know, without asking, that you would always be welcome in my home.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.