1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deer Creek Cons. Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powderburn, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi All,
    Just a reminder that Deer Creek Conservation Club is having a trapshoot tomorrow night. Traps open at 5:30-6p, practice, games later, and hopefully a 50 bird program around 9p. Public is welcome, and no non-member rates. $4 25 b. pract., $3 entry for games, and $22 to play all options in 50 b. program. Draw for program handicap, could be anywhere from 20-25 yds. Once again, my brother Mike will be cookin, so come hungry. We're located a couple miles south of Gas City Indiana. Feel free to give me a call for directions. Will send you a cell # via private msg. Hopefully the weather won't be a mess!!
    Thanks, and hope to see you there!!

-powderburn
    ps-
    We'll also shoot some doubles practice also, so bring your 2 banger if you want!

2. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey guys,
    Well, to be honest, no, we probably won't throw any ATA targets. Years ago, DCCC was REALLY strong with the ATA. We hosted the 1990 In. Central Zone shoot, I worked in the traphouse setting targets those 4 days. It was a hoppin ATA club to shoot at. We have one of the best backgrounds in th state for target visabilty, now we have all the wireless speaker/trap setups, and a nice clubhouse. Always good stuff to eat. But those ATA targets create a pile of paperwork that's beyond belief. There are some clubs in the area-Alexandria, Fall Creek in Anderson, etc. that throw ATA targets and do a fine job, but all that work was just that. Work. The club never really made enough off the ATA Sundays to justify all the hard effort from the office staff. Just like a doctor that works on a patient-does he work for the patient or the insurance company? Does the club work for the shooters or the ATA? Hard line there. It's almost as if the ATA is doing us a HUGE favor for LETTING us throw targets for THEM. I personally dont feel the ATA does enough to get the sport in the hands of everyone. So, saying all of this, the ATA is probably not in DCCC's future. People nowadays are LUCKY to scrape up enough money for a couple practices, a couple boxes of shells, and gas to get there and back. $29 for ONE event for an ATA shoot is already too much for some to spend. We still set the traps to ATA target heights, distance, and windage. We always throw good birds. So, we are content at this time to shoot non-formal shoots and see where that takes us. Thanks for asking, and we hope to have some good times out at Deer Creek this summer.
    -all the best! -powderburn

3. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Pat,

Interesting that you mentioned $29 targets. I registered my first ATA targets at Deer Creek in November 1978. The price was $8.50 per hundred + $1.00 ATA fee and $0.50 ITA fee. That amounted to $27 for all 300 birds 100 16 + 100 Hdc + 100 doubles.

Times change.

Michael Stephenson

4. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Worked for one of the contractors building the club back in the early 60s. Helped frame and pour the concrete trap pads.

What hours are you open?

Regards

W&W

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Paul,

Just recently the crazy quail pit was demolished and covered. I too agree that it was much fun but that thing went against many of the safety rules that we attempt to keep enforced. I had to give up the trapshoot directorship due to so many hours involved in general administrative duties of the Club. These guys are doing a good job this year but attendance has been rather low recently--not just at our place from what I hear. When people ask about ATA, they do not realize all our other activities that go on and that we also have a general membership with EVERY DAY open shooting for members--just too little of us to go around. I wish we had the finances to make it happen because we could easily justify a 40 hour per week Club manager, administrative, and operational duties type of individual. Sorry I did not get in contact with you in Jan as we had spoke about--was so busy with the Shot Show and family in the area--I have not given up on meeting with you again sometime.

Bryan Griffith, President

6. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I started enjoying trapshooting at Deer Creek in the mid 60's. Mostly worked the trap house, but shot when I had the chance. Great hot dogs from the kitchen, too!

I worked the quail walk, but can't remember much about it. I think it was back in the woods to the West?!?

Broke my first 25 straight there on my 2nd or 3rd time out. An elderly gentleman showed me the finer points of trapshooting, and I never forgot them. Wish I could remember his name.

I shot with a father and son named Jim and Mark Cooper.

Good luck with your shoot.

Danny B

7. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

I too remember the "good ole days at Deer Creek", having the games and program on Sat nights and playing cards (Jesse Butler would always have a game going). I was running the trap when the Central Zone Shoot was held there, we had a big fish fry that weekend) and those were really good ATA registered shoot days. Many a Month we would have 10 squads or more at our reg. shoots and it was a big money maker for the club then. Attendance has fell off everywere at ATA shoots now. The prices being the main cause, I run the trap in a club in FL. You can't get people to play games or have night programs down here and I miss that a lot. We do see many of the people who went to Deer Creek when we were there , the last year we had the chain shoot here, there were 23 IN shooters staying here that use to shoot with us there. It is good to see all shooters I shot with for 30 years or more. I am glad Deer Creek is shooting some trap and wish you the best. Jim Ehle

8. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi Jim,
    Good to hear from you! Yeah, times change. They have a way of running in circles. We've lost so many good shooters who were loyal to Deer Creek, whether from moving away or dying, or whatnot. The new crowd is a little thinner than in the past as far as numbers, and that's troubling. There was a thread a while back about how little of the boy scouts that get firearms training at a club somewhere don't keep up with shooting. I don't know. That's where I wish the ATA would do more to promote the sport. I don't know what action it would take, or how to approach something like that, but I wish there was a way to keep these kids shooting. There were many times growing up, I had to go out and pick up used wads to keep shooting. I liked the story the fella wrote on this site a few threads back about the older shooter taking this new kid in by buying him a round and a box of shells and getting him started. I think it's time we all start doing things like this for beginners to save our sport. Trapshooters are by far some of the greatest people I have ever met. Yes, there are egos. Yes there are crabasses. What those guys don't get is being that way to one new shooter achieves nothing.
    I appreciate what you did for our club so many years ago, Jim, and wish you the very best down there in Fla.
    best fishes, -powderburn (Fitz)

9. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

A little off the topic of this post, but I thought it might be interesting... I just went to the Bureau of Labor Statistics website (www.bls.gov), and ran the 1978 price of $8.50/100 targets through their inflation calculator. It comes to $27.73 in 2009 value. So, target prices appear to be similar across the last 30 years.

--Dan

10. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

Hey Fitz, glad to see you are still shooting. Still blowing your horn? We have alarge group of 4-H kids that shoot at our club. Most clubs in FL have a 4-H team and we have a State shoot each year. It is something to see. We give a discount to the kids on their practice targets and also their shells, very little over 1/2 price. Their leader is a cert. range master, so he can come to the club with the kids without us providing a range master. It is a good program and a lot of the kids go on to shoot trap (and skeet). The club doesn't make much money on them (do make good money when we host the state shoot)but we don't lose any and actually it is building up for the future shooters for all clubs. I don't know if IN has a 4-H program or not.Seems to me all the A class Senior shooters are in FL, sure is hard to beat them, lot of guys don't want to admit they are sr. shooters because they don't want to shoot against them-Ha.Well, this is prob. toooo long so I'll read this sometimes and glad to hear from Deer Creek.

11. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Just to add my two cents worth - I to am glad to hear DCCC is still open for business. Although it's been more than 45 years since I last shot there, I can vividly recall travelling to DCCC with my Dad in his 1964 Chevrolet pick up truck with his pigeon grade Model 12 and my field model 870 safely stored in the pickup camper. My job during the week was to load enough of those paper Winchester AA's on a single stage press ( the one with the iron to straighten out the hulls, remember ? )so that my dad could shoot the registered programs and I could get to shoot a round or two. I think I still have a picture somewhere of myself and some other class winners with our trophies. The trophy I received for high junior probably wasn't 8" tall, but to me I couldn't have been prouder if I had won the Grand American !

Now in my late 50's ( really late ! ) I've left the trap game and only shoot non-competitive skeet. Perhaps I can get up to DCCC and shoot a round of trap this summer.

Best success to you all.

Noel

12. DON1911

DON1911 Member

I to used to shoot a Deer Creek Cons. Club from 1963 thu 1966. Seeing Jeese Butler's name made me just have to reply to this thread. I was a junior shooter also and remember other name from the club Malcolm Terry, James whited,Joe Fields,and ofcoure Dr.Godscalk. Was a great little club for ATA and Winter time calcuttas. I now live in Florida but someday I'd enjoy shooting at DCCC atleast one more time. Don Mason

13. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi Don,
    We would love to have you up again. Just let me know when it might be! It's still a great place to shoot, and good people to talk to. Come on up! Whereabouts in Fla. do you live?
    -powderburn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.