1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

deer chili

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bvr Tail, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will get some good chili recipes, but please try this meatloaf since you already have the venison burger:

2# ground venison

2 1/2 t salt

1/2 t black pepper

1 c chopped onion

1 c chopped bell pepper

2 eggs beaten

16 oz canned diced tomatoes w/juice

1 cup quick oats

Topping

2/3 cup catsup

4 Tablespoons brown sugar

2 Tablespoons mustard

Mix meatloaf and place in large pan.....cover w/topping....bake at 375 degrees
    for one hour or more as per your taste.

Really good, and you can add different spices to taste.

Danny

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

wish i could find mine,,,some where in storage locker,,but i use what ever dry beans i have ,,soak over nite in beer or tequlia,,use hot sassage instead of to much hot spice,,,saute onuions,garlic, red and green and yellow peppers,and some hot peppers,, lightly boil sassage than break up and brown with venison and some polish sausage,use crushed tomatos not sause,,and add water or tomato paste as needed while simmering coverd,,, at least 2 hours,,,when doing the pepers dont over cook,,, let them finsh in pot,,,add some cummin and chlie powder to taste as simmering

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Your recipe sounds yummie 682liny. I really like how you soak your beans, very interesting

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I've been using the recipe right out of the "Betty Crocker" cookbook for about 25 years now and I aint killed anybody yet. Just substitute venison for beef
    Chuck

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Venison is so lean that it's better if you add some meat that's got a little fat with it. This will enhance the flavor, IMO.

6. KRE

KRE TS Member

To enhance Deer meat, marinate it overnight in Coke-a-Cola, you will be surprised at the taste difference.

Kenneth

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I know of a lady who has won contests with hers, will try & get it. The only problem is her husband. He'll try & sell it to me so he can buy shells!

8. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

From my favorite restaurant in Los Alamos and one of the best I've found. We use elk mostly but deer works well. I add about 2 tsp of dried beef bullion. DGG
    cazadore_2009_05083.jpg

9. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Venison Black Bean Chili:

Large diced onion
    1 bunch diced celery
    4 diced red peppers
    2 Tbspns chopped garlic
    5 lbs ground venison
    3 lbs. ground chuck
    2 gallons beef stock
    24 oz. crushed tomatoes
    8 oz. tomato paste
    1/4 cup corn starch dissolved in 4 oz. water
    1/4 cup Kosher salt
    24 oz. black beans

1/4 cup hot Hungarian paprika
    1/2 cup chili powder
    1 Tbspns cinnamon
    3 Tblspns olive oil

Season venison and ground chuck w/ salt and pepper and brown in large skillet. Drain off grease and set aside. Lightly sautée vegetables with olive oil while heating beef stock in separate pot. Combine with stock., the meat, vegetables, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and seasonings and allow to reduce by 25 %. Then add corn starch mixture and continue to simmer until desired thickness is reached. Adjust spiciness to your own taste.

If you don't want this much get out your calculator and divide accordingly.

Too die for I promise.

10. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

My friends have told me and I belive it to be true, if you have to do that much stuff to make that crap edible, maybe you should leave it for the dogs where it belongs, I am so happy I have been fortunate enough not to shoot reloads eat deer chili and shoot a blazer shotgun. At the grand all my friends were going back and getting new recievers because the black magic marker that they use for blueing was falling off and the triggers were hanging up, and I know they still beat me, but at least I look good. And Doug do you still believe in santa and the tooth fairy, she won but her husband was the judge, don't be so naive. Thanks Stan

11. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

1 lb venison burger, 1 lb chorizo from a mexican butcher shop,1 bell pepper,1 or 2 jalapeno peppers or what ever type of heat you like,1 onion,chopped garlic,2 tbls cumin,4 tbls chili powder,16 oz tomatoes chopped,S&P and 2 lbs of pinto beans that have been soaked in water over night.Brown the meat and add everything else and simmer for 3-4 hours,Add water just to cover the mixture and add some more while it cooks.Let it set on the patio on a cool night and skim all the fat off the top and then it is ready to heat and eat.The chorizo that you buy at the big grocery chains is junk!Look for a small mexican market and try theirs,I have a couple of different stores that I get mine from and they make the chili taste alot better.PJ

12. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

You're right on Stumpi-Ed says he stuffed the ballot box, that's like making change in the collection plate!

13. max trap

max trap Member

I'm thinking the Feds should investigate this so called... International deer chili award !!! I'm going to call the same people who investigated Roger Clemons..Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong !! No expense of my tax dollars is to great !! The american people have the right to know !

Your friend in the wonderful world of deer chili...Crackers McGee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.