1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Deep fried Turkey....Opinions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by over the hill, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Well, its that time of year when some of my co workers start to glorify the advantages of deep frying a Turkey over the common oven. You should try it they say. I would but my wife is terrified about fire, explosions, burns etc. which the news media hypes up this time of year.

Ill bet many of you have tried this or possibly do it on a regular basis and can give me some tips.

Is it really that much better or should we do the oven thing again?

Thanks as always....Gerald

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

It is a wonderful thing , JUST MAKE SURE ITS DONE !!! I had a bunch of good freinds at Hunt club dinner get real sick and some in the hospital.Others were not affected. Jeff

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Ft. Bragg Gun Club will be cooking some this Saturday!

I like turkey deep fried better!

FRedmon

4. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

At my families thanksgiving dinner we do both. 1 in the oven & 1 deep fried. I like both equally, so it's 6 in 1 hand half dozen in the other to me.

You just have to be careful with deep frying the turkey, you have to watch it more than the oven because of the fire. If you aren't 10 years old, it's a pretty safe thing to do.

Curt Kinsey

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Great process, better than the oven IMHO ... don't tell the wife. Make sure it is cooked out in an open area, like a stone patio with no overhang. Make sure the turkey is completely thawed and that any water is removed from the cavity. Get the temperature of the oil up to about 425 F before you put the turkey in and then it will be easier to maintain the proper cooking temperature. The oil will go down in temperature significantly when the bird is put into the pot. Lower the bird into the oil fairly slowly. We used to cook them like this regularly up at our hunting camp and everyone thought they were great. Bill Malcolm

6. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

Great tasting, the average turkey takes about 45 minutes at 3500. After the oil is cool and placed back in the original container you'll see that you only used a couple of tablespoons of oil. Get the oil to 3500 that sears the meat so it won't absorb the oil. The bird must be dry, I drain and hands dry the bird with a towel; oil and water do not mix well. Slowly lower the bird in but be sure not to overflow the oil onto the flame. I use 3.5 gallons of canola oil. About 45 minute later (14-16 pounds) you’ll have an awesome tasting bird.

7. mallardbend

mallardbend TS Member

I guarantee if you try it you will never go back. I have never had an oven baked bird that compared. Get yourself and injection kit with a good marinade(I like butter garlic) and a season (e.g. creole) to sprinkle on the bird when it comes out of the oil and you have some tasty eats.

As for the concern of fires etc, the best saying here is stupid is as stupid does. Just make sure your away from any structures (10-15 feet is sufficient), don't over fill the pot with oil (or get to big of a bird as it likely won't fit). Check to see how much oil you need by first submerging your bird in the pot in water and then fill to the appropriate place. Lastly make sure your bird is as dry as you can get it before putting it in the hot oil. Enjoy!

Kody

8. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Hill,

I personally like the fried better. It tastes like smoked turkey to me. While it only takes 3 min. per pound to cook the clean up IS time consuming and in the end is it similar to baking if you're only cooking one turkey. If your doing several then fying is a time saver. Use smaller turkeys, follow the instructions regarding measuring the amount of oil. Have the burner away from buildings (no wooden decks), kep a fire extinguisher handy and you'll be fine.

Happy T'day.

HBT

9. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Put your turkey in your frying pot and then fill it with water to cover turkey. Tehn take out turkey and mark water level and fill oil to that line. This will keep you from having to much oil and overflowing!

Make sure you have a temperature gauge and keep oil at 425 and fry for about 2-2/12 minutes per pound.

Use a quality injected marinate and not a rub on as it will just fall off.

Use only peanut oil to fry.

Fry more than one turkey as the oil is expensive.

Keep dogs and kidsaway from hot oil as it is top heavey and will spill.

Good luck and good shooting!!!

10. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

One thing that I can tell you from many years of frying many turkeys, don't over fill the pot with oil. Use just enough to cover the bird. What I do is put the turkey in the pot and fill it with water and mark a line on the outside of the pot. Make sure the turkey is dry free of moisture before you putting it in hot oil. Cook to 165 degrees @ least, at the thickest part of the meat. A 10 to 12lb will take 30 to 40 min.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    FRAN

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Turkeys Barry, juuuuusstt Turkeys!!

12. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

MrRem3200......run that temp. up to 3500??? Are you sure that is correct?? Check the placement of that decimal point....I may be wrong...but....!!!.................Uncle Sam, Pa.

13. DJM

DJM Member

When I saw these getting popular I begged my wife not to buy one. But she will not be denied. I think the cookers are a big PITA. Just how many ways do we need to cook a turkey. Weber grill, oven, Show Time Rotissary, deep fryer.
    The oils has gotten very expensive at about $8/gallon. I'm sure others will brag about the life they get from a batch but all it takes is one time too hot and the oil is ruined. Certain injections seem to blacken the oil. The cleanup, filtering and storage of the used oil is a lot of work. Take a look at the kettle, lid, turkey holder, 20 lb LP tank, and tripod burner. These take some serous space to store. There is also a safety factor with these, there are horror stories out there. I like the end result but do not feel it worth the effort, especially the clean up. Don

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

We love fried turkeys and have done many.

Remember the oil expands as it heats up so err on the side of less rather than more. You don't want an overflow as you lower the bird! Once it is done and the oil is cooled-off scribe a mark inside your pot for future reference (assuming same size bird).

While it is very important not to undercook, be careful of over cooking as well. Strict 2 1/2 minutes per lb with temp maintained at 325.

I like to inject mine too--tasty!

On the down side you don't get any drippins like you do when you bake. These drippins plus the giblets are makins of a very fine homemade gravy. We bake for thanks giving and fry for parties. Let me know if you're interested in my family cajun gravy recipe.

Have fun, bon appetit, and don't burn down the friggin house!

Guy Babin

15. nipper

nipper TS Member

Use peanut oil and only peanut oil at 350 degrees and no more and make very very very sure turkey is thawed and 100% dry and you will never bake another turkey.

Bill

16. csapsg18

csapsg18 TS Member

trashcanturkey.com

17. mallardbend

mallardbend TS Member

Barry,

Chickens take a great deal longer to cook despite the size. The reason is because with a turkey the cavity is large enough that the hot oil cooks from both sides. With a chicken it pretty much goes from outside to inside.

Kody

18. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

IMHO if you want a really juicy turkey cook it in a plastic cooking bag (available at any grocery store)and cook it upside down...with the breasts on the bottom of the pan. It does not look like a Martha Stewart turkey when it comes out of the oven but boy it sure tastes good. I stuff the cavity with apple quarters and onion chunks and the drippings are awesome for gravy.

Fried is good ... I just like this method a bit better.

Bob Schultz

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have had deep fried Turkey and prefer it over oven baked but the process is more than I care to deal with besides having to store all of the cooking gadgets and oil ... I just plain old like Turkey and all of the goodies that goes with it so I can suffer and take mine oven baked ... I did make one on one of those "Set it and forget it" things (Ronco Mystery oven) and it worked out well also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

RickN's turkey is the winner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.