1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RickA, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Member

I have been thinking about buying a gun just for trap shooting. I have my hunting guns and the gun that I use currently for trap is a Remington Wingmaster from the middle 60's. It has a full choke plain barrel and although I shoot it fine its certainly the gun that will give me consistancy and higher scores than what I'm shooting now.
    I have been looking at a couple of other gun choices 1. being a Remington Trap model 870 or 2. BT-99
    I really don't need a gun to shoot doubles with because that just isn't my game and I already have a gun for skeet.
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of either gun. I'm really open to all suggestions but will tell you that $1500 is probably the limit for me on this purchase.
    Thanks
    Rick

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Can doubles be shot with anything but a slide gun?

ec90t

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

[​IMG]

Most opinions will take you towards a BT99. I am for that as they will be a bit more facial frindly than a 870. My preference would be a older 79-earliy 80s gun that is "long tang" and Monte Carlo. YOu cna buy these guns for a thou in pretty good condition. 34" is preferred as the gun is short to begin wih because of the short receiver. You can opt for a later BT with choke tubes, but I still recommend you go with a Monte Carlo and 34". Porting does not matter a twit in these guns. Shoot 1150 loads exclusively. A basic BT99 has taken many to the 27 yard line and AA in singles. If you buy a new gun the same parameters should be in play, but try and buy a slightly upscale model as they are now coming pretty much "plain Jane" and those will not hold value.

After you buy one, write me and I will tell you how to care for it.

Jack.

This is mine form a few months ago...

[​IMG]

Her is another higher grade that may still be for sale, I would recommend this gun highly. It is not mine, nor is mine for sale.

[​IMG]

And others hopefully will contact you with guns for sale. I am available for advice. I know the gun and I know the market.

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I have both an 870 and BT-99. I would have to vote for the BT-99. Why? I guess I just like the fit and feel and if you are a dedicated trap shooter fit and feel does mean something..............Roger

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

In your price range , you may want to check out the NEW SKB GC7 Topsingle. Only $1400.00, bells and whistles, included. They're made 2 blocks away form Browning's BT-99 in Japan.They also have BETTER service than Browning.I have their Unsingle and really like it.

6. RickA

RickA Member

Thanks Jack I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm just testing the water a bit trying to get a feel for what are the good a bad points of both guns. It will be a while before I can buy it especially with this economy. I need to see how things shake out at work over the next 6 months. I also hope to be able to shoulder the guns and test drive them for fit in the store/or range if I run across one before I decide to buy. I hope I don't scare anyone with this next statement but I don't buy guns as investments. I look at them in much the same manner as the trucks I buy. I decide what I want, find a good value that is in good condition for the money I'm spending and will last me, treat it good then run it till its dead.
    When I buy guns its much the same good value/condition treat it good but shoot it till its dead. I have shot the Remington for many years, it was my dads gun and has sentimental value but its time to move on. That probably has influenced my narrowing down process some but they are a good reliable gun also.
    Thanks for the input so far guys
    Rick

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Rick I would save my money and build your ultimate gun. Find a good used 870 with a 30" barrel and choke tubes. There are lots of the Wal Mart specials out there used for $200-300. Buy one. The have a Custom rib applied about $300-400.(use Dennis Devault or Simmons gun specialties.) then a Jack West Monty Carlo adjustable butstock. Total cost under a grand. You are comfortable with the 870 why would you want to change? I would also consider the 1100 similar feel and not much more money. Start with a used gun and build up a trap gun.

You could also get a Stock and barrel and use your existing 870 and save around 300.

If you want to go all the way and take any 870 and have a custom stock built for you. Cost $1000 to 2000 depending on wood and checkering.

Joe

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have one of each and on any given day I can shoot both really really good, or really really bad.

I would suggest that the main thing, whichever one you choose, is that it fits you well, it shoots where you are looking and you are comfortable with it.

Both of mine are fitted to me and shoot to the same place.

Both of them are decent blue collar trap guns.

A trap 870 and a field 870 will not shoot the same, nor will you sight picture be the same.

I also have a few field stocked 870's. I shot one of them for trap for a few years until I decided I liked trap enough that I thought I should get a "real" trap gun.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

BT99, no question

10. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

RickA,

It will likely come down to personal prefernce for what feels good to you. Dealing with the 2 shooters mentioned, you won't find many bad things mentioned. There are a ton of both guns available, both are affordable, both are hell for stout & dependable, both have been & are still used by many a shooter to work their way to the fence, goodies available for both (wood, chokes, trigger work, recoil reduction)I have shot both & enjoyed both, I adressed the recoil on both with a bit of scientifically applied lead in the butt. With the price range you mentioned you can own both & will not have machinery to use as a reason for missing, they will both do the job if you do.
    Try them out go with the one that feels good & don't look back.
    Good Luck.

Mike

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Rick: I agree with the advice given so far. If you have a gun that will allow you to shoot skeet and/or sporting clays and just want to concentrate on a dedicated trap gun; the 2 guns you mentioned will certainly treat you right. And they won't "break the bank" either. That being said I would visit your local club and see if any of your fellow shooters have a BT-99 and an 870TB or TC. Try them and compare. As Jack, (MIA), mentioned you will lose several inches in total length of the gun with the BT-99 compared to the 870; due to the receivers. Therefore a BT-99 with a 34" barrel will closely compare in total length to an 870 with a 30" barrel. Anyway, good luck in your search. Just try before you buy; if possible. Ed

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Since you are already an 870 fan & have just said that your dads has served you well, what more could you ask for??? I shoot an 870 occasionally (a Competition) as i do not shoot doubles either, great gun, fantastic patterns,it shoots a little bit higher than a field grade, as noted above mine seems to prefer 1150 fps & #8s. Look for a good used one in TB OR TC as you can shoot doubles with it if you ever want to. I have one with over 100,000 rounds through it & still waiting for 1st breakdown. I personally prefer fixed chokes on older model Wingmasters, they are less $$$ to start with and (I think) more reliable and ea
    sier to keep clean than other brands & models that I have had over the years.

I am currently shooting a mod.31 TC which i also really like, i have SBTs & O&Us, guess i am just a pump gun fan, as they just feel more natural to me. Ross

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a BT-99 2 barrel set that our sub-jr daughters could shoot with no recoil problems at all. I made some nice 1 oz reloads for them. I got my nephew also a sub-jr started at the same time and I gave him a bargain on my 870 field gun. The trap stock seemed fit him pretty good but he got a real serious bruise on his cheek from the 870. He could shoot the BT-99 without recoil problems.

14. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I also have a BT-100 that will go to Jaquas this week if no offers(Haven't even listed it). 32" Gloss model/removable trigger/trigger weight set/GOOD condition/Browning case. I paid $1800 for it and will be trading it even up for a New SKB Topsingle. Will take $1400. PICS available.

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have my original 870 TB bought in '72, 300,000 plus rounds through it. Carry a 96% average plus in summer leagues, don't buy burger in the winter. Replaced the trigger four years ago, firing pin three years back. Still shootin great. Am on my third Bt99....still trying to get familiar with them.great guns, just having trouble feeling confident on those "hard" birds" that are so natural with the TB.

Get one. Shoot it a lot. Get comfortable with it. Don't change just because someone else has something pretty. Shoot it more. Quit farting around with other stuff.

16. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

RickA

When I started shooting trap 25 years ago I was doing the same as you, only my hunting gun was an 1100. I shot that for a 10 week league and was hooked on trap shooting. I then spent the next few years shooting several different models. This was my gun-of-the-month phase. I had two different 870 trap guns, a Daly O/U, and a Valmet O/U. I shot a BT99 and that was it, I bought one. Shot it for 8 years until I got my 90T. My suggestion is shoot a few different guns and go with the one you like the best. I would probably still be shooting the BT99 if I never shot my 90T.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The best advice above is that if you are buying a used gun, shoot it before you buy it. There is no sense in buying a gun that is going to beat you up or one that you can't hit targets with. HMB

18. RickA

RickA Member

Thanks a lot guys. I read all your thoughts a lot, and quite honestly had never considered the obvious. I'm leaning toward building from the ground up with what I have. One of the problems I have with the 870 I own is I'm pretty sure it's POI is off to the left. Neil and I discussed this last trap season late in the year and if I'm right the only recourse would be to have the barrel bent I think.
    But if I start fresh with a new Monte Carlo Trap stock, add a rib to the barrel and put an adj. comb on this just might put me where I'd like to be and maybe for less than my original goal.
    One of the reasons I like this place is because of the various ideas that are tossed around allowing me a different perspective. You guys are great!!!!
    Thanks again
    Rick

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Rick,
    When building a trap gun up from an 870 you will likely never recoup your investment. It is still an 870.

Except for my first shotgun - all my guns have been purchased used. If you do not have a lot to invest, a used gun will get you more bang for the buck. And when you upgrade (and you will) you will normally get back what you paid for it.

Try a lot of guns before you buy.

If you shoot the 870 well, stay with it, and figure on taking a loss if you ever sell it. If you shoot something else better, why go through the "fun" of building a trap gun out of an 870 - unless you like that sort of thing?

Don

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

dverna- The reason is obvious. To Shoot Better. It is almost unheard of to get any sort of return on customization. You comment makes no sense to me.

Joe Goldberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.