1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated Doubles Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ColtM1911A1, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I'm looking to add a dedicated doubles shotgun to my safe. I have a Benelli Super Sport that I could use (the Benelli was designed for sporting clays), but I'm certain there are better shotguns for doubles.

I shoot a couple of Ljutics for singles and handicap, and I am very pleased with how they perform. Having never shot a round of doubles (this is my third year shooting trap), I want to add a nice performing gun for this discipline. What say you?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 3200 makes a nice doubles gun. Plus you can usually get to shoot it before you decide to buy it. HMB

3. frbowers

frbowers TS Member

I recently grabbed an XT Trap as a doubles gun and am pleased with it. The 3200 would be a good choice too.

4. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

As most guys will say, any O/U that fits and doesn't kick you in the cheek will work, either a Sporting Clays, or Trap...I prefer a bottom first Lt MOD 70/30 with a flatter IM 2nd shot...but then I really suck at doubles..Honesty hurts!...LarryB (I currently shoot a P-Gun Mirage for doubles)

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ljutic makes a doubles gun! Just sayin'

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

You can pay more but you can't do much better than this

[​IMG]

7. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Thanks for the ideas...?any more of you out there with a suggestion?

8. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

Whatever you like best, try a few. I've shot a few differnt perazzis for doubles. I've tryed out some kolars and k80s. The gun I went back to and shoot best is an older browning citori. I have a much higher average since I moved back to it from the p-guns and well it cost about 1/5th of the price of the perazzis

9. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Find yourself a good used model 32 krieghoff,and dont look back

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

What do the high average doubles shooters use?

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Dt10 beretta, krieghoff k80, perazzi mx8,

12. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I have used my Citori. Considering using the 1100 next - if the other squad members don't object to much about the flung hulls. Actually, I have one of the deflectors welded on so the hulls fly downward.

Larry

13. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Lot of 680s and 682s available used that are affordable.

ed.

14. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I have had a excellant sucess with a Citori....dollar for dollar, tough gun to beat. The key is try the various ones out there. Most shooters will allow you to test drive their guns so long as you treat them properly. Then pick the one that seems to work the best for you. I have a Perazzi & a Blaser but my best scores were with my old Citori!

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What Big M Perazzi said.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The best gun to use is one where you can adjust the POI of the upper and lower barrels separately. Like a K-80 or Rem 3200. HMB

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Trade your Ljutic singles gun off on a Ljutic combo gun setup. Your remaining "handicap Ljutic" can be waiting in the wings if the new combo setup doesn't work for handicap. The new single barrel will surely work for singles. And you'll be mounting pretty much the same gun when you go out to shoot doubles. Just trying to reduce the variables. Good luck.

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Browning Citori Trap, with 32" barrels, choked mod. lower, top full. Cheap, well built gun, that fits me right out of the box. I even shot a 23 with it the second time I ever shot skeet. The look on the other skeet boys faces was priceless. Especially, when I told them it was only my second time shooting skeet.

19. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Look for a used Guerini Summit O/U. Has all the bells and whistles, infinitely adjustable, solid gun...and reasonable.
    I have a Ljutic that I use for singles & h'cap, but also have a CG top-single Combo, the O/U I use for doubles. Best of both worlds.

WNCRob

20. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

WNCRob, thar's just what I plan to do. Ljutics for singles and hcaps, and then a quality O/U for doubles; perhaps a combo for backup all around. Seems to me to be the perfect setup. Will be shooting the Ljutics more and that's fine because they are terrific SBT shotguns. Don't really want to pay too much for a doubles gun which the O/U might just do. I had lines up a Ljutic I-Gun, but it was a double release and would have cost me $800 to convert and that put the cost too high....a Perazzi MX3 is now in the picture and should work hood for me....thanks for all the great comments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.