1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Decot or Ranger or ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dverna, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

I need to get a good pair of shooting glasses and have no experience in this area.

I must have a bifocal prescription to be able to function so plain lenses are out.

Any recommendations?

Any dealers/suppliers in Michigan?

Thanks,

Don

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I just got my first prescription shooting glasses last spring. After a lot of looking & listening I chose the new Ranger Sporter shooting glasses

They are pretty heavy & with the clip ons in place they are even heavier.

Having said that I really like everything else about them. I had to get a new prescription with pretty heavy correction plus progressive bifocal correction so I went with a clear poly lens with AR coating, 3 clip ons in yellow, vermilion, & the new CMT.

The great thing for me is that I can read fine print, have clear distant vision, & be able to change color to fit the conditions without ever taking off my base platform with the clear lens. When my prescription changes I will only have to replace the clear lens & leave everything as is.....hopefully.

They may not be what you need but with the correction that I had to have I am very pleased with them. Oh, I got them through Morgan Optical, dealt with Wayne who was very helpful, sent me two pair of frames to try first then I ordered what I wanted.

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Don, I'm in the same boat. I need new glasses, although I don't need bifocals to shoot. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Ranger XLW. It can be had with a prescription insert. Texas Shooters Optical shows the insert available.

Tom Donahue has answered one major question, and that's the fogging issue with a lens so close to the face. He says he's sold over 100 pairs of inserts with no complaints.

I'm leaning awfully hard toward the XLW.

Best,
    Dennis

4. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Where in Michigan? There is a Ranger dealer in Davison Michigan I can get contact info. if you want it.

Fred J

5. rob 15

rob 15 TS Member

I prefer decots, but just my opinion. I do not have any prescriptions but a fellow shooter/friend has bifocals and also had the lenses cut to match the size of his normal glasses.

6. VNVET

VNVET Member

Here's my opinion on the question. First, I personally the Ranger XL because the horns behind the ears are stiffer than the Decots and doesn't tend to slip down your nose on a hot day. I personally don't like the prescription frame behind the lense because it limits the field of view. All my shooting glasses have the prescription lense in the frame. The key issue with shooting glasses is the optical center of the lense which is normally placed with your head verticle looking straight ahead. If you mount the gun like I do as a right hand shooter, I'm looking out the upper left of the lense. When I focus on a picture or text looking straight ahead the object looks clear. When I mount my gun and look at the same object........it's not as clear. The reason is I'm not looking through the optical center of the lense. The further away from the optical center, the more fuzzy it gets. I feel the polycorbonate lense makes this problem worse due to the lense qualities of polycarb. Texas shooters only makes lense for Ranger frames from polycarb. Decot makes their lense from CR-39 which is a more suitable material for optical quality lense and when looking down my gun barrel at an object the focus is clear. They also make prescription lense for Ranger frames. So to sum it up I would only buy CR-39 lense for prescription glasses. The Ranger XLW frames are too wide for corrective lense. Just my opinion.

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The folks at Morgan are great. I went with the Sporter. Now only purchase one set lenses when new Rx time. A little heavy but I am verry happy with them. Have purchased way too many colors though. Jake

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Decot sweetheart!....Thats where its at! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Fred,
    Who is the dealier in Davison?

I live in Wixom so that is close enough for me.

Thanks,
    Don

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

11. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

both my wife and I have purchased our glasses thru Decot and while I can't talk about Ranger products, I can tell you that the folks at Decot can not be more concerned about getting things right. I had questions about the glasses after they were delivered and the staff at Decot spent a lot of time with me making sure I was completely satified with the purchase. Both Suz and I would and will go back to Decot.
    dennis

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I too have always used Decot but when one needs a distance & bifocal prescription & you go to Decot's website & price a prescription lens with bifocal correction & anti-reflective coating then multiply that times the number of different tints that you want you will quickly look for something different. You need to also think that when your prescription changes that you will have a lot of useless tinted lenses.

IMHO, if you want more than one tint & you need the prescription changes that I did you need to find something that Decot does not offer.....at least to my knowledge they don't.

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have Ranger XL's. I like the adjustable nose piece to lift them off your cheeks.
    Our local Walmart Optometrist is a shooter at our club and can make single prescription lenses for about $60. I had a set of yellow and range bronze made for me. It sure is nice to see a crisp clear target out there at 40 yd's.
    Both the Range Dealer and Walmart are located in NW Mich.

14. VNVET

VNVET Member

jbmi

QUOTE:
    I have Ranger XL's. I like the adjustable nose piece to lift them off your cheeks. Our local Walmart Optometrist is a shooter at our club and can make single prescription lenses for about $60. I had a set of yellow and range bronze made for me. It sure is nice to see a crisp clear target out there at 40 yd's. Both the Range Dealer and Walmart are located in NW Mich.

I curious about the WalMart lense. Are they the same shape as the Ranger lense? The tints you mentioned, are they standard colors or tinted at your store?

15. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

deverna,

Eyecare Associates
    1063 S. State rd.
    Davison Mich.
    (810) 658-2456

The lady who is the best with the ranger line is Cindy she hooked me up a couple of times. She and her husband are shooters as well. If you like drop my name I have referred several people to her and will continue to do so.I would call first to be sure she is in, not everyone in the office is well versed in shooter needs.

Fred Jackson

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Thank you Fred.

BTW where do you shoot?

I am a regular at the Birmingham Club.

Don

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Don, Bolle has prescription inserts that can have your bifolcal script cut. Henry Ford Optimize on Farmington at 15 mile will do it for you. See Steve Horger the manager, I shoot at MultiLakes with his father in law and they did mine without the bifocal but I'm going back to have them cut the script into my insert.

Joe Borg the man I shoot with just came in a few weeks ago with the bifocal cut in his insert. The best thing is you can change lenses and still keep your script and when your eyes changfe all you do is buy another insert.

See above... not too far from you.

Jerbear

18. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Don, here is the site for the one I went to. Tell Steve, Jerry sent you from MultiLakes and he will hook you up.

They stock the glasses you need and insert.

Jerbear

19. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Don;

I shoot at Durand gun club, Blue Water, Frankenmuth but it seems like the small clubs are giving up on registered shoots, Durand is still going strong and a good place to shoot.

How is things going at Birmingham I was there last year about this time and was real disapointed, It used to be so well run, I hope I just caught them on a bad day. When the weather warms a little I will try them again.

Fred J.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

While not an eye professional, I would wonder why you would need a bifocal for shooting glasses when the closest distance you're focusing on is 50'. Maybe an inconvenience if you have to change glasses for some intermediate close up viewing, but I would guess a single Rx to be preferable on the line.

I would 2nd all the positives for Morgan Optical in NY. Mail Order is dependable and their service excellent - I've ordered dozens of Ranger sets over the years without an issue - returns and exchanges have been easy.

Rangers also offer a skull temple as well as the traditional cable variety.

All of the major vendors are excellent. In the end it comes down to getting the lens' Rx right for you. If you can secure the lens dies, any lens vendor can cut you a lens to fit the frame you ultimately choose.

Good Luck,

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

decot versus ranger