1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline in ATA shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kreith, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreith

kreith Member

RHG,

Your spot on. What you have to remember is that TS.com is a large forum with a small relatively disgruntled group that only sees the negativity in anything. Go ahead and read the posts. Posts usually include the following phrases, "decline, dead, losing, too much, quitting, etc." I do agree that we need to increase participation in the sport, but I really hope the negative people that post on here are not their club's membership chairman. At the club I shoot, we see increased participation from many members and non-members. Our club is growing it's membership and we are throwing more target than in previous years.

Remember, if you want to shoot, your going to shoot. I will be traveling around 150% more this year attending shoots. Can't wait till next year when the fun really begins.

Good luck and I hope to see you on the line.

Cory

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Spurred by Doug's recent reminder, I decided to drift over to Presquad.com and pick a few choice positions for the Spring Grand. After all, everyone's quitting, right? I get there and ask "Who are all these people? Why aren't they busy tossing in the towel on TS.com instead of taking all these nice spots?"

Understand I don't mind shooting on the first or last few squads, but every event? At least I won't have to wear sunscreen . . .

Neil

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I don't know how the percentages break out as far as skeet/trap/5 stand and registered vs non-registered but the Silver Dollar threw over 4 million targets this year by 11/14. Trap is by far the majority of targets thrown at this club. JRM

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pat,

I'll add that "Competitive" ATA Shooters are a minority on this site.

Curt

5. chuckles

chuckles Member

Curt, what is your defination of a competitive ATA shooter...?

regards

6. RBur

RBur TS Member

chuckles, I think you will find that a "Competitive" ATA shooter signs his name to his threads on TS.Com

Ron Burdick

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

perga, the Silver Dollar is primarily a trap club with a 5-stand Sporting Clays setup and no Skeet fields.

Not a fair comparison!!

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

oleolliedawg, The Silver Dollar has TWO skeet fields that are combo fields used for trap practice when they hold a major shoot. I did say the great majority of targets thrown at the Silver Dollar are TRAP, my guess would be 85-90% trap. I wasn't comparing it to anything! What is your point? JRM

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Whoops, I forgot all about the two skeet fields down by the practice traps-the ones that face the sun.

Point is-the Silver Dollar is really a dedicated Trap club. Now if they had 28 Skeet fields along with their trap fields and a real Sporting Clays course or two the comparison might be valid!!

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

JCL, you must not be in NW PA, because we have honest concerns for the sport and the clubs in our area.

The averagea age of our shooters continues to rise. Very few new shooters are coming in. The older shooters on fixed incomes are concerned about rising costs. We don't know what to expect for our leagues next summer. No point in scheduling ATA shoots next fall because the change in the target year has surely killed September and October shooting.

~Michael

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The first shoot of 2008 will be Mar 23 . After that I will be shooting every Sunday and most Wednesdays all summer up untill the end of Oct .

I don,t really think 400 or 500 hundred registerd targets a week is a dicline .

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

jcl, You must not be from se Pa. either. Shooting is down at most of the many clubs we have.

George

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

Trap is growing very fast due to the fact that it attracts young shooters. By young, I mean 65!!!!!!!!!

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

The total targets I shot last year (13,600) was 1650 more targets than I shot in 2006. I will do my best to shoot more in 2008. Now, I have 3,100 targets on my 2008 card and the Dixie Grand is just a few weeks away. I wish more clubs would throw doubles marathons.

Pat Ireland

15. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I'm not so sure we are seeing an over all decline in shooting sports what you are seeing are shooters making better choices on where they choose to shoot. Shooters are choosing to shoot at clubs that throw good targets and offer good prizes! Whats the matter with that? It's called competition. Personally, I have clubs I chose to shoot at and others I wouldn't waste my money at! When shooting clubs value their members and shooters as customers the shooters will respond in kind! It's simply about choices and where you want to spend your money!

Rick Brohmer

16. RBur

RBur TS Member

Richard, I can only shoot the Dixie Grand on Wed & Sun. Hope to see you.

Ron Burdick

17. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Our ATA shoots have been growing very well, in fact, this month we had over 60 shooters put almost 13,000 targets in the air at our regular shoot plus 7 guys showed up for 200 registered doubles targets last Wednesday. This is at a 3 trap club with no club house,(yet).

However, you can't grow your shoots sitting on your butts. It takes hard work, good food, a welcoming atmosphere, good targets, promotion and decent prizes. For our January shoot we have ordered some really nice Buckleart trophies from Jim White. (See the ad link above).

JT
    North Hollywood Sportsman's Club.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The dramatic jump in shot and shell prices has been fairly recent. Many people are using up their accumulated stockpile of shells. When they have to start replacing supplies at 2008 prices - that's when the decline in shooting will occur.
    Everyone I've talked to has said they're going to curtail their shooting. I don't think they're all fibbing.

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

oleolliedawg, I still don't know what comparison you are referring to. This thread is asking if there is a decline in ATA shooting and not comparing it to anything else. JRM

20. gundog

gundog TS Member

The thing here that bothers me is Pres. Winstons response. As the pres. of the ATA he should be trying to find a way to help shooters in these times and not posting a smart a-- remark as he has done. If he thinks shooters numbers wont be down this year, then we have the wrong man leading us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.