1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Decision Time... with pictures

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I'm trying to restore an older Remington 1100 - 1966 to be exact. I've removed all teh bluing and polished the receiver and magazine tube. It isn't perfect, but the 1000 grit paper and buffing wheel makes it sparkle. Originally, I planned to blue it again with Oxpho Blue. Now that I see the steel I'm wondering about either plating it or just protecting the polished metal with something clear. The cold blue has the advantage of allowing me to fill the engravings with gold - again.

I'm also refinishing the furniture (just getting started) - and working on re-cutting the checkering - converting pressed to peaks. Tedious to say the least. We'll see how that works out. After bleaching and re-staining it will be a light color and I intend to put a high gloss Tru Oil finish on it.

It will never be a "real" restoration so I'm leaning toward just making it unique.

Anyhow, I'm posting these few pictures in case anyone has an interest in a work-in-progress. Might have it ready for a trial this summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Looks like a lot of work.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A nickle finish would look great.

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I used this same technique on two 1100s a few years ago. Basically, both were rusted and had bluing damage. I used Birchwood Casey Bluing and Rust Remover to strip all bluing from the receiver...then polished with 0000 steel wool. Finally took the receivers to a gunsmith who did a finish polishing job on both receivers for about $25 each. I used paste wax to seal the "in the white" surfaces of the receiver, reassembled with the barrels and trigger groups (which were in reasonably good shape). Put some alternate stocks and forearms and had nice looking guns. Got several inquiries at the range if these guns were "special editions" or competition models. Sold both for far more than I had in them. As long as the receivers were kept lubed/waxed no rust problems. I think you will like your results. Regards, Ed

5. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Grandpa, I did the same to a BT-99 and left the receiver in the white. I did seal it with a "baking epoxy" I got from Brownells. Puts a hard clear finish on it. Something to consider. Your project looks great so far. Be sure and post the finished project when done.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It looks real good the way it is. If you decide to put gold into the engraving, that would look real nice also. Either way nice looking gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.