1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Decided to move to Sparta

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Bought me an air-conditioned home,drive an a-c car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper. Had the backyard lanscaped with Western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks,what a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. Another scorcher today,but I love it here. The temerature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this heat? At least its a dry heat. Getting used to it is taking longer than I expected. Fell asleep by the pool,got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. I learned my lesson though:got to respect that ol sun in a climate like this. I missed Tabby (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got out of the hot car for lunch,Tabby had swollen to the size of a shopping bag and exploded all over $3,000 worth of leather upholstery. I told the kids she ran away. The car now smells like Kibbles & Bits. No more pets in this heat. Dry Fetchin' heat,my butt. Hot is hot. The home a-c is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 dollars to tell me he had to order parts. Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. $1,500 in darn house payment and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here? 115 degrees. finally got the AC fixed today. It cost $500 dollars & gets the temp down to about 90. Stupid repairman pissed in my pool. I hate this fetchin' state. If another wise cracks"hot enough for you today?" I'm gonna tear his swollen throat out. By the time I got to work, the radiator is boiling over, my cloths are soaking wet,and I smell like roasted fricken Garfield! The weather report may as well be a damnrecording: hot and sunny. The weather man says it might warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this barren desert? Water rationing goes into effect tomorrow,so $1,700 worth of cactus just dried up and blew into the swealtoring pool. Even a cactus can't live in this heat. Welcome to hell!!! Temp got up to 123 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the fricken windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer came to fix it and said, "hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the house payment to get me out of jail. Worst day of the damn summer. I'm not leaving the house. The f***ing monsoon rains finally came and all they did was make it muggier than hell. The Lincoln is now floating some where in Missouri with its new $500 windshield. That does it, we're moving to New York for some peace and quiet. Clyde Doll

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Clyde I loved it. Thanks for the laugh. At least you can string your tennis raquet with all the cat gut in the car. Bulge.

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

As my doctor told me "Life's a bitch, then you die."

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

5. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Clyde, get your butt in the car and drive to Sparta. You have too much time on your hands!!!!

Matt

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Matt, Have fun,shoot good, have a cold one for me. I thought a little humor would be good for the soul. Won 2 oakleys last night. Love to beat those young whippersnappers. I hope to make it to Cardinal & Jaqua's. Clyde

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Big heap, Lifes a lot of fun with a healthy attitude. Been to 50 grands,made and won a shoot off. That covers a whole lot of fun. Glad my Dr. never told me lifes a bitch. Clyde

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clyde,

Thats it move to Sparta and you will have to put up with maybe 1,000 or 2,000 strangers dropping in once a year to shoot the Biggest Little Trapshoot in the World and taking up space in the local drinking and dining establishments not to mention WalMart ... Then you'll be happy ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Wpt I finally figured out why you hate Sparta so much. If you went, you'd be so homesick for your illegal mexican homies you'd cry yourself to sleep every night.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Now that's funny.

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I got a chuckle out of that one also. Can you guys picture WPT flashing gang signs back in the hood? LOL

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have no idea why anyone would think that I hate Sparta so much, as stated by someone or anyone who has no idea who I am or anything about me ... I actually think Sparta is a nice little rural town out in the middle of Noplace, Illinois ... It has been and will always be just that, a no place in Illinois ... Sparta is not and will never be the place to have a major trapshoot and if you do not believe me look at and compare the numbers over the past 5 years, that is just the way it is and has nothing to do with Sparta directly other than there are no accomidations in the immediate area which is driving people away ... I had been to Sparta on 3 differant occasions prior to the WSRC being built there and have a friend who was born and raised in Sparta, his family worked for Peabody Coal, the Hospital, and Public Works (Randolf County) from what I recall ... I was told one end of Sparta is a little on the dark side and the porches are usually full to capacity which is something the WSRC will never be ... The flashing of gang signs is the flash from a Glock, thats the only sign the Gangbangers understand ...

SilverbulletExpress:

Did you ever make the deal on that trap club in Sheldon, Mo and set up those people you wanted to be set up on someone elses dime ..? That was your chance to be a hero, but I guess when it comes to your putting up your money thats a different story huh ..? Its easy to tell someone else what to do and how to do it but you don't when you have the chance other than run off at the mouth ... By the way I have nothing against Sparta, Illinois ... Its not the place for anything other than the things that went on there for years before some Idiot got the bright idea to build a shooting facilty there for whatever reason ... Its is in fact a dismal failure for any and everyone involved ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

John,

I respect your opinion and glad you had a good time, that does not change the fact that it is a dismal failure by all standards ... I did not say you couldn't have a good time at the facility or in downtown Sparta for that matter but the things to do are not endless ... The traveling is what most people complain about so all that does is compound the good things about it and the area ... Sparta is where the Grand is, thats a fact no doubt, but at what point do they pull the plug when it don't generate enough money to keep it going especially in an economic crisis that we are all involved in today ..? If business sense was applied the State of Illinois would of closed the WSRC two years ago when they saw it was not going to come to close to the projected income and revenues for the State and Randolf County ... When was the last time anyone saw 100,000 people in attendance at the Grand ..? The projected revenues were at 12 to 15 million based on what they were told and I'll bet they haven't come close to either ... The attendance drops more every year so that does not shore up it being called a success, but more of a dismal failure in my book ... Hell, I can have fun any place and had a ball when I visited friends in Sparta but it not the place I would of built my business ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Bill do you have any (reasonably) positive suggestions ... or is moaning and carping abt 'if they'd only listened to me.' all you do?

One note, only, played in the key of shrill ... yanno?

Bob

16. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Cardinal Center is only 5 miles from Sparta good move.

Rock

Jim

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The cardinal center is only 5 miles away? If that's true, how can the weather be better there?

BTW...campers have been pulling in all day yesterday and today. They are directing traffic around here because there are so many people here. I don't think anyone will be able to whine about attendence this year.

I heard that the Martins are donating even more money next year, and that there will be more than one event to win that money.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bob,

The fact is they were told by many people prior to the move and as usual no body wanted to listen to any thing that resembled reason when it could of been avoided ... There are many people who still to this day defend the move for one reason or another but the numbers tell the story ... The ATA is or should be a business operated as such so for them to alienate a majority of their customers is totally insane ... People talked that "built it and they will come" crap until even they got tired of hearing it ...
    The latest is : Build it and see what happens, when all else fails cut and run ...

The positive suggestion would be pull the plug and walk ASAP because its a loser ... Make the Grand American Championships truly a Championship shoot by making it an invitational and move it out of Sparta, Illinois ... Make all moneys that are now options mandatory on all events for those that choose to shoot, that will eliminate a lot of lookie loos ... They do not need all of the banks as it is now so to eliminate all of those who just have to be there for Peach ice cream and to say they were there less than half that number of banks would probably be more than enough ... That being the case the Grand could be held at other clubs and it could be moved rather than have all of the ATA's money sitting in trap houses all year long waiting for a for a two week event ... The traps could be sold and the money could be put back into the relocation fund where it came from ... Illinois (IDNR) said they were going to build the WSRC even if the ATA didn't choose to use it for the Grand American so maybe they would be interested in buying the traps ... Basiscally make the Grand a real Grand and cut out the chase ... The Big Dogs are going to dominate the money anyway and they will go no matter where its held and they will play the money without thinking twice about it ... This idea would probably increase the payoffs in most events considerably which would make the winners happy and give the others something to shoot for next year ... There are a lot more ideas from many other people that have good to great ideas .... The ATA had better start being more customer orientated or they will keep dropping in numbers and thats what business's work to achieve ... Eliminate the EC's money tree and expenses, meeting can be done over the phone and save the air fares and accomidations ...

Business 101 :

Rule #1.

location,

location,

location,

Rule #2.

Treat your customers like you would want to be treated, all else come after that ... Respectfully, WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Talked with someone who is working the center. Attendance is way up this year. The restaurants are PACKED.

You guys that want to stay home. You're not hurting anything here.

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

That's good news recury!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.