1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Debit/Credit Card Question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

What is safer for online purchases....a credit card or debit card? Opinions please

2. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

A credit card is always safer because if it is stolen you can only be held responsible for $50.00. A normal debit card has no limit unless the bank that issued it has one.

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Irregardless which, one should have online access to their card account(s) and check them daily!

Without going into detail, I had two experiences of attempted fraudlent charges with one being a sizable amount. By seeing the charge the morning after the fraudlent charge I contacted the card issuer (my bank) and had my card cancelled and proper steps taken to reverse the charge. End result I wasn't out any money!!

Allen

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Credit, as explained above.

5. rrose

rrose TS Member

Matt
    Use credit card. You have heard many stories about financial institutions that have had peoples information stolen, you do not want them to have access to your checking or savings acount if they get a debit card number.
    A few months ago I learned the hard way when some one was able to drain all of the money from my checking account by using my debit card. I never did find out exactly who it was or how they got the info but it seems it was from one of those breaches in security I mentioned above. If they would have gotten my credit card number it would not have affected my checking account, think about the impact to you if you are out of the money in your checking account untill it is resolved. The banks work with you to get it fixed but it is a process and it can take 45 days. Hope your shooting goes well this year.
    randy rose

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Credit card. As stated debit card has almost no protections.

Last year I received a telephone call from my credit card company (Chase). Wanted to know if I was in India making Ebay purchases? Card was cancelled and a new one issued via overnight delivery to my home. Did not pay a cent.

The credit card company allows me to go on line and set alerts for my card. If XXX amount of dollars is charged I receive an email.

The company is aggressive in not approving a charge if card is used outside the home region. A good idea to register your cell phone number to approve charges if you get a rejection while using it. You receive a text message on your cell and can approve almost immediately. They do have an area in your account where you can let them know what region of the country you will be in during the next 30 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.