1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Starbucks--

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Starbucks Pres. has said he doesn't want to get in the open carry debate BUT please don't bring a gun in a Starbucks store because it upsets some customers. I think he might want to re-think this. Non-carriers may be upset, carry people will be upset. There are a lot more gun owners than non gun-owners. And beside, if trouble starts, who do you want in the booth next to you? How about during a robbery of your store?? Not to mention loss of money, a trained responsible armed citizen may keep one of your employees from being harmed. How would you feel about that??

I live in Mississippi and we have just passed an open carry law. I usually don't carry but it's comforting to know I can. Any way, I most likely would not carry a gun into a Starbucks, now I won't carry my wallet in one either.

2. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Its from Seattle, what do you expect.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I dont care what their sign says, I carry anyway but keep it concealed under my shirt. Are they going to frisk me or put in a metal screener ?? In Alaska a lot of people carry on their side in the open and that scares non carriers. I was in a Costco in Alaska and was asked to leave because my sidearm was in a visible holster.

4. Justinosen

Justinosen Member

I beleive a armed law biding citizen like myself is better in any establishment then them hiring a armed security guard or no security gaurd at all. Remember I live in the greater suburbs of Detroit metro area, I always go into public with myself and my 5 trusted 357 caliber friends.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I would tell them I would never go in there again, but the only time I ever tasted their product was in the VA hosp in Dallas, I sure don't see what people like about their coffee or maybe it was just that one place, it was nasty as he$$

But now I have more justification, they are more concerned about their appearance than they are about their customers safety

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Barry knows what he is talking about!!

You have to live in this state to really get the "just" of the remark!!!

Yes there are some good people on that side of the state, BUT not enough!!

7. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Here is the email I just submitted on their corporate website.

While Mr. Schultz may be progressive in asking gun owners to not carry guns on Starbucks property, I think it might be a good time to remember that the Supreme Court has upheld that people have a right to firearm ownership. Additionally, in my state, Concealed Carry permits have been issued and many people choose to carry firearms legally.

I realize that Starbucks has the right to enforce rules on their property. Given that Mr. Schultz has issued this soft request (Customers are welcome, guns are not), I have the choice of exercising my Constitutional and state supported right or drinking Starbucks coffee.

Guess what? I will side with the Constitution of the United States of America and the laws of Texas.

You just lost a customer.

Don Rackley

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I have never really understood the need for a $4.00 cup of coffee.

9. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

He says he isn't anti or pro I think he's just trying to keep his pro customers and he is very anti gun. He has also lost me and Boyd's has gained another customer.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I'll take "Cat powers" exact stance.

Nastiest coffee I ever tasted!

11. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Their vente sized mocha frappicinos with an extra shot of expresso are very tastey........LMAO!

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

It seems that he is NOT denying access for anyone that wants to carry concealed. Those that carry CONCEALED are not the ones that "scare" their other customers. While this may bring up the OPEN or CONCEALED carry debate, you have to admit that Starbucks had never before had a problem with law abiding citizens. Even Oklahoma now has OPEN carry and in my 20 or so days up there since they instituted OPEN carry, I have yet to see ONE individual OPEN carrying. I don't think it is the big deal that the media and others are making it out to be.

Sadly there have been some that wanted to thrust their rights into the limelight and when Starbucks did not enter into the argument and just abide by state laws, some came in with an AR or AK wanting to "make a statement".

Seems to me there is a real SIMPLE solution to this and that is to carry CONCEALED and everything will be fine. Had some common sense prevailed, this new debate would have not have happened.

13. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

You would have loved their Anti-military stance as well!!

14. white rattler

white rattler Member

Anyone dumb enough to pay $5.00 or more for a cup of Joe should not be allowed to carry a sidearm. Trevor Dawe.

15. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Correct me if i am wrong since i was told in my CCW class, that it IS legal to OPEN carry, in Ohio and other states. But its not worth doing cause someone can call a Barney Fife type who could give you a ticket for "inducing publlic panic" which is easy enough to defend, but will cost you cash via a lawyer retainer. Not worth it. Unles theirs a "no gun" sign on the door, you are free to CONCEAL carry no issues. And IF they do have a "no gun" policy 2 things to keep in mind. 1) Its not a crime to do so, unless they ask you to leave and you resist. Then it becomes criminal trespassing and you'll get cited. 2)if they post a "no gun" sign, THEY are responsible/liable for YOUR safety while in their store and on their property. Note "on their property" extends out into their parking lot. The freaky type people that sometimes hang out in Starbucks are the ones wanting to band guns so fear not. But out here, bars are taking the signs down because if some drunk jumps you in the parking lot, the bar is liable. Insurance companies are suggesting business' here not to post them, since the State gives us a license to conceal carry, security is not available outside most bars were altercations take place, and drinking while carrying will put you in a cell next to Bubba.

16. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

While in Ohio for a stock fitting I saw a sign on the front door of the hotel that said concealed carry/firearms were not permitted. I spoke to the front desk clerk and told him that I was in town for the fitting and their establishment was listed as where to stay. I told him I could not and would not stay on the premises. He called the manager at home, and after a discussion, the sign was taken down. The same went for the local restaurant where we went for lunch. If they want my business, they take me armed.

17. Hookedonshooting

Its funny how the risk assessment folks @ insurance companies are preaching taking these signs down. I brought it up to the owner of a "Fridays" type bar/restaraunt i frequent, and he discussed it with his agent. The agent told him he was unaware that they HAD a no gun sign up and that his current coverage did not protect his liability and there would need to be changes to be made to the policy, at a cost of increasing his premium. The sign came down. I know business' are taking a harder stand on the issue since drunken patrons are not likely to happen in corporate America's parking lots. BUT, stupid ship happens everywhere.

I wonder if the no gun sign was put back up in your case Patrick. You obviously spoke words of wisdom and they listened.

18. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

The signs were not put back up on subsequent visits. They were all over town during the first visit because some anti-gun nuts were going business to business and scaring them that a bunch of crazies would be coming in with guns. When the businesses started to realize they had been buffaloed into posting the signs, down they came.

19. Hookedonshooting

Glad to hear it. Us Ohioians can be be behind the times on some issues. I laugh because my CCW license cannot be used as a means of identification/validation when attempting to buy a gun. I get put on delay every time and it sucks. Put in a request for a unique pin from AFT, and still waiting 9 months later.

20. Hookedonshooting

Mike, since its private property, they get to make the rules. AND accept the liability associated with keeping their patrons safe. And if you do carry, al they can do is ask you to leave. YES, i will take that chance.

Open carry is legal. But be prepared to hire a lawyer to disprove the 5 elements associated with the "inducing public panic" statute were not met.

Bottem Line - Know your States CCW laws. Dont rely on a cop to do so. It may not work in your favor due to their lack of training on the issue. This issue amongst others.