1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dear NRA-Where's the ammo?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by CharlieAMA, Aug 20, 2013.

1. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dear NRA-Where

In the new American Hunter magazine from the NRA that came yesterday, there is an article by the above title, and gives some insight as to the ammo shortage.

For instance, the Social Security Administration employs 295 special agents that combat fraud, and they are required to cay a gun. The SSA bought 174,000 rds. of pistol ammo, and that works out to about 590 rds. per agent.

Next, The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administation(NOAA)bought 46,000 rds. of .40 cal. ammo for their 63 agents that enforce marine importation and fishing laws. That works out to about 730 rds. per agent.

Now, the DHS bought 450 million rds. of .40 JHP bullets over the next five years. The DHS contract covers the DHS police force, Customs and Border agent, FEMA, Immigration and Customs, Secret Service, TSA, Citizen and Immigration Service and some others. These combined agents total roughly 65,000, and that gives them approx. 1384 rds. each.

According to some manufacturers, they are making more ammo for the consumer, as well as the gov.. Production is up across the board. The has also been more ranges and guns shops open, so that has increased the retail points of purchase. Also, with record numbers of first time gun buyers over the last couple of years, they are doing more target shooting.

Anyway, that was the gist of the article. They did talk about the price gougers and so forth. Just thought I would pass this along. Charlie Henderson

2. pstar48

pstar48 Member

Check with your buddies they have it stacked to the ceiling.

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Watch out, a newbie!

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Today, I spoke with a member of upper management in the ATK Corporation, which owns RCBS, CCI, Federal, Speer and other shooting-related companies about this very subject. He told me how many MILLIONS of rounds of rimfire ammo they are manufacturing EVERY DAY without making even a slight impact upon retail inventories. He attributes the shortage entirely to hoarders - people who used to buy one or two boxes are buying bricks when they finally find any, typical brick buyers are buying cases and case buyers are buying half-pallets. In other words, a whole lot of us are buying five to ten times our normal amount. The gun manager at the local Bass Pro Shop told me they have a line of people waiting outside the door every morning and when the doors open, it's a footrace to the ammo shelves to scarf up what was stocked overnight.

I called RCBS about buying a progressive metallic cartridge reloading machine and was told that he could not tell me when I would see it. He said he hates to say even six months because it could be nine months or longer. They are prioritizing production based upon backorder ages and they aren't sitting on many old backorders for that item. Likewise the carbide dies I want in 38 Super are not on the production schedule for at least the next three months. Fortunately, I have a set of dies in a brand I don't care for, so at least I can load ammo.

Manufacturer prices on ammo - at least ATK's - have not changed at all since the April across-the-board increase that was not all that great. He told me that any price increases we see on store shelves is occurring either at the wholesale (distributor) or retail levels. I had a dealer show me last weekend that the 100-round boxes of CCI MiniMags he used to sell for $7.95 and is now selling for $15.95 cost him $13.78, so I suspect any gouging might be originating at the wholesale level.

Eventually, this too shall pass. Dealers know that and the one I patronize the most refuses to accept a backorder until the distributor tells him the cost. If it's excessive, he declines the order so he doesn't wind up stuck with a bunch of inventory he has to move at a loss. That's also contributing to empty shelves.

Maybe those of who are older than me (66) have seen this before but I sure haven't.

Ed

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

At an Appleseed KD shoot, CJ from Wolf Ammo told us the industry is moving 3.5 Billion rounds of .223 - a MONTH. Geezus - somebody tell me I heard that wrong?

He offered the opinion that if people could get over their phobia of shooting corrosive in their cheaper guns like AKs and stuff, this could be somewhat alleviated with imports. He says he shoots corrosive in his ARs (yes, ARs, not AKs) and cleans them out with Barbasol shaving cream after shooting...(but I sure ain't doing that in mine!)

I think a lot of it is that people believe in some kind of final, SHTF good-vs.-evil Old Testament showdown in the nation, which they need to "arm themselves" for, instead of a slow, whimpering decline into the abyss like what we're actually having. Oh well, whatever...regardless of people's particular flavor of psychological fervor, I think it's become apparent there is a "new normal" now. It's like 9-11, and will never be the same.

6. PC Jim

PC Jim TS Member

Dear NRA-Where

DHS Police Force???
    Is that govt's private security?

7. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is so many damn gov. police forces, agents, etc., that they don't know what they have. AND, it is at all or our exspense.

8. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

After seeing what I saw for the past 3 days, it is the civilians buying the ammo. A few months ago bought a 22. and haven't shot it because I could only get 1 box of ammo for it. A new Field and stream store opened up 5 minutes from me, and a buddy said they had a ton of 22 ammo. They had the Remington value packs, 535 for $22, which is a good deal by todays standards. The store was already open for a few days, and my buddy said they had pallets of it. I walked in 2 days ago and bought 3 boxes which was the limit. At that point there was still plenty left. I went back yesterday for another 3 boxes and there was a half pallet left. I went back this morning and all the remington was gone, and half the CCI stack (500 for $30) was gone. Also, nearly all the 9mm value packs were gone and there wasnt much .223 left. Luckily I checked behing the counter and got a 1500 bucket of 22 for $63 with tax (Last bucket). So this is a store that was hoarding ammo for probably for its Grand Opening, and most of it was gone in the first week. I am talking hundreds of thousands of 22 sold in 5 days. If ammo were easy to come by like it used to be I would only keep 1000 rounds on hand. Now I bought 5,000 because it was cheap, available, and I want to shoot the gun without worrying. Just think how many are doing this, and how many are doing it to make a buck. If I really wanted to I could have easily hoarded 20,000 rounds of 22 in the past week, and my guess is there are hundreds who did.

PS - I do believe the government purchases are hurting us too, but the main problem is with the regular guy. I just bought my first two handguns in the past 6 months. 2 of my friends bought their first handguns (3 each) in the past few months. I could only imagine the rest of the new handgun owners are trying to build their stashes up a bit.

9. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Average Ed...If you can.t get an rcbs progressive...go for the Hornady lok n load or a Dillon, both of which are excellent. ed

10. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

About 2 years ago I walked into my local gun store and they were stacking a mountain of 9mm cartridges on the show room floor and I was thinking that my friendly gun store owner had lost his mind by buying so many cartridges of just one caliber!

I went back the next day and all of those 9mm's were sold. At least 50,000 cartridges in one day!! One guy came in and saw the 9mm's and bought all of them and he just added them to his stash at home.

Now all cartridge purchases have a 2-3 box limit at my local store.

Yes, hoarding is the problem, but I promise you the factories will eventually catch up.

Jim