1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealings With John's Trap Guns in IL??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I had one dealing with him about 6 or 7 years ago.. I believe it was on a MX3 Special.. It was totally uneventful.. His website had posted a few pictures.. I called.. we discussed the gun.. sent money.. and got it properly packed and wrapped..as described in about 10 days... No warm fuzzy feeling..just what I wanted..at a fair price.. properly represented.. well packed... Wish there was more to say.. If its owned by the same person.. I'd think he's an OK guy..

2. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Have know him for 25 yrs on a hello basis. Been in his shops several times. Last time was a 1 1/2 yr ago. Nothing at all impressive invertory wise then. Tried to do business with him a number of times,as has a good friend of mine, over the years. Never successful. High prices to us. He was very critical of what I had to sell/trade & thought his stuff was God's gift to the shooting world. He is a whiner. Tread very softly & very carefully,,get lots of pics,get it in writing,use cert/registered mail,make copies. He does not like me at all. Could be I have his number??? Or maybe I am the bad guy. Tom Lobonc

3. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Bought a MX3 and 687eell in one day from him years ago.Wasn't overly helpful and didn't follow up with me. I was Promised something he didn't deliver on. That left a sore point w/ me over 10 years later.Just one guy's experiance.

4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I called last spring looking for a CG 32 inch 0/u trap. Told me on the phone, oh yeah, I have one. Asked him again to be sure he knew what I wanted. Assured me he had one in the shop. Drove an hour to find nothing but 30 inch sporting clays guns. I was incredulous. Friends have had similar experiences. Avoid in my opinion, too many other straight shooters out there.

Dave Eberhart

5. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Several years ago he had a lujtic for sale. I told him I shot a release trigger. He said it had a RT. Well the gun came with a pull trigger & RT parts. I had to pay both ways shipping when I sent it back. Nuff said.......Pete

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've known John Piccetti many years, and have bought and sold numerous item from JTG. He has always treated me fair, but he doesn't care much for tire kickers. He has turned the business over to his sons now, pretty much semi-retired now. He is a pretty cool 85 year old guy!

7. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Just remembered the other part of the story. He quoted me a price, I bought cash, and then when I got there the gun was $500 more than he quoted. Avoid. Ended up dealing with Bob Schultz.

Dave Eberhart

8. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Drove up there one time to look at a Broadway Trap, that he told me was in very nice shape. The one he showed me when I arrived looked like it had acne or something (some kind of "dots" all over the gun), maybe some kind of corrosion? I asked him, "where was the gun you described to me on the Phone"? He got his nose out of joint, and I don't think I have been back since. He tried to list some guns on here a while back, but when people started asking questions about the guns listed, it turned into an arguement. I don't think he has been back here since. I do remember that he told me he was such a great trapshooter, that they didn't want him to shoot at Maywood anymore. I seem to remember that he said he was making the other shooters there look bad.

9. snowbird trap shooter

snowbird trap shooter TS Member

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I hate to speak ill of the man, since I haven't met him, but I could refer you to at least three people I respect who have dealt with him and came away very unhappy.

I drive by his store every time I go to my club (where he's also a member), but on local reputation alone, I have never felt the urge to stop by. Not a nice thing to say, but there it is.

11. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Years ago at a gun show he had a model 12 skeet I was interested in. It didn't look right and I asked him about the barrel length which I measured at 22" he said it was a factory skeet gun. That made no sense to me so I went a couple isles over where Dave Riffle was set up and asked him what I thought I already knew the answer to and he said there was no such thing. That's the only dealing I've had with John's Trap Guns. Mike Pracht.

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

And the time John totally insulted my relative at a CADA show when he told my him that he didn't have enough money to buy a gun on the table so he could not pick it up. Yes,the relative has more & better guns than John has in his whole store. Like NIB & in the REA shipping carton, a Pre-64 M-12 Trap,Y-Trap NIB,90T NIB,on & on. And that is just a couple of the trap drools,let alone all the other stuff. Tom Lobonc PS,don't ask,he won't sell,I tried.

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I went there to buy Mod 12 trap and was told a price and that the guns was as new. Well it wasn't and he had raised the price between my call and the next day. Needless to say we didn't do business

14. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

His granddaughter is on my shooting team so I see him on the sidelines here and there. When I was first looking to buy a gun I went in there, told me to cut my hair then pulled a knife on me and said he would do it. (Gave my mom a bit of a scare) I just laughed it off and didn't think much of it, but he kept addressing my mother thinking she was the one writing the check even though we had told him several times that that was not the case. Generally treated me like crap and tried to sell a BT-99 to me at or above MSRP. (I went in there a second time with me dad) A couple years ago I got my grandpa into shooting and we went there to try and find a gun that would fit him well. He gave the same exact speech, word for word, about not picking deep into the customer's pockets, having 72 guns coming in that he just bought from an estate sale. Luckily I was able to control my laughter. Then he proceeded to continually insult me and my intelligence, and level of respect for some reason to the point where my grandfather started to defend me. He does, however, have a very nice pedestal and feeling of entitlement if you are a fan of all of that. I understand that he did not give a crap about what I had to say, but being as the one potentially buying something from him, he definitely lost a costumer both times.
    -Trappy

15. JOND

JOND TS Member

Judge The Judges !!! JOND

16. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

If you like B S then this is the place to shovel.
    I will never go back in there again.

Arnie

17. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

As someone above said, the place has changed hands, 3 or 4 months ago. Maybe his sons, maybe someone else, but he isn't running it any longer. I think they even changed the name to Just Target Guns.

18. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I know one of his sons, great guy, hilarious, and seems like a straight shooter. Hopefully he does business well. If he is in fact running it it's worth giving them another shot.
    -Trappy

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whoever heard of BS flying around a gunshop? That's at least half the reason for going there!

20. cle

cle Member

I must completely echo Dave E's comments. I was looking to buy a P-W reloader with my Christmas bonus (back in the days when I got one). Called John....Oh, yea I've got it. The next day was Christmas Eve and I asked him THREE TIMES if he was going to be open. Yes, Yes, Yes was always the answer. I drove an hours and a half to find his shop locked up tight at 10:30 AM.

Since then I wouldn't walk across the street to his shop if he was giving away Perazzi's. And, in 20+ years of shooting in the No. Illinois area I can't name one person who I know who has bought a gun from "JTG."

CLE RECTOR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jtg guns

trap shotguns lynn gibson