1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

dealing with the wind

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Lately I have been shooting pretty well. Saturday I entered my first competition (after 9 months of shooting). It did not go as well as I had hoped. Steady wind at 10-15mph and gusts around 25mph. What tips do you have besides holding lower and trying to shoot them fast?

Thanks
    Dave

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Actually, Dave, "trying to shoot them fast" is not something that would be recommended. At least not by any of the good shooters. You don't want to change your shooting style.

To me, how you shoot in the wind indicates whether you normally really look at the target. There is nothing that the wind can do to the target that will prevent you from hitting it, if you are really looking at the target.

Typically beginning shooters will progress to the point where they "know" the various possible angles and they develop a shooting style that is essentially "well I've moved the gun this far, so it's time to pull the trigger." Think back through your experience this weekend and see if that describes what was going on.

Another thing that can happen is you notice the targets are moving around, and you become unsure of yourself. So you start to aim, rather than point. You try to be more "precise," but what you really end up doing is bead checking and stopping the gun.

The only things you might want to do in the wind is change your stance slightly so the wind doesn't move you around (widen your stance), and maybe alter your gun hold points up or down depending on the direction of the wind.

The other thing to do is practice when it's windy. And develop a good attitude about shooting in those conditions.

Shooting well in the wind is the good shooters best "weapon." When it is windy, most shooters are beaten before they even take the line because they've already talked themselves out of a lot of targets.

Enjoy

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why not set up a pattern board on a nice day and shoot a few patterns during various speed winds? High wind speed cam cause a miss on a 4X8 sheet of plywood!! Hap

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Dave:

We had this very situation Sunday, with changing wind direction throughout the first 100. Head winds dictated a slightly higher hold point, while tail winds required the reverse. Cross winds seems to have little effect.

Those puppies were dancing!

Continued success,

Jay

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Not that I'm any good but I just try and keep my focus on the bird as intense as I can get it, it's a lot harder to do when they are dancing.

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

What is wind? I shoot in S.E. Idaho where "the wind is your friend"

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Dave,

V10 has given good advice.

I know good shooters who change hold points and others who do nothing but recognize their gun movement will be less with a tail wind and more with a head wind. Practice will determine what works best for you. It is NOT one size fits all.

Shooting on "timing" will kill you. Shooting on sight picture is what you should strive for.

Don Verna

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Wind is part of the game, get use to it. Go out and practice on windy days. Fair weather shooters don't win when it windy, raining or blustery.

9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Do not overswing, it's easier to swing up to the target as it may rise via the wind vrs. swinging down to the target if it drops. Swing slower and more deliberate. Shoot faster. Good luck.

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.