1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with relatives you hate!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CharlieAMA, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steve- That is a tough one. I would probably not say anything. My step-mother passed away last August from cancer. We flew to Calif. to see her for two weeks, and had a good time with her. She died 3 weeks later. In the whole time she was sick, from April to August, my brother never called her, or her 3 kids, never went to see her, or nothing. We went out for the funeral, and he showed up, went to the reception, filled his belly, and left. His words to Dad, on the way out the door, were-'I'll be in touch.' Alot of people in my family are mad at him for his self centeredness. I haven't spoken to him since the funeral. My Dad is terribly disappointed. They were married for 39 years. I guess every family has one. Sorry for your loss. Charlie

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Charlie:
    Your correct, every family has one or two or three. Every family has leeches that pray on the oldsters just for their money. To me, anyone who take advantage of a mother or father just for their money is a low life in my book.

My wifes relative passed away the other day. Nicest person you would ever want to meet. One of the relatives is known to ALWAYS offer her help to the relatives that are old and frail. Lasst time she actually worked was around 20 years ago.

It didn't take long before she convinced him to hand over his check book as she promised to pay his bills and purtchase any clothes for him. She lives 5 miles away. Found out everytime she visited him he'd give her $50.00 for gas, this is the amount she told him she needed each day.

Found out he had $200,000.00 in his check book 1 year ago. The home he is at cost $7,000.00 per month. There is not enough money now in his check book to pay for the funeral. She cleaned out his furniture at the home immediately, and she has no idea now where he kept his cash?

Another relative found out that this woman would purchase clothes for him without him asking and she never had any receipts. We suspect she was cashing checks for cash and then purchasing clothes for him and keeping the cash. She should be in jail.

She pulled this same scam on her father 10 years ago. I suggested the police be called and she should go to jail. Relatives could or would not believe that she would ever do anything wrong?
    Steve

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve, it seems to me that from what I know about you from being on T.S. com that hate is a strong word for you to use!

4. senior smoke

Bruce:
    Yes it is. I should of put dislike a whole lot! I told my son when he meets them, shake hands with your right hand, and hold your wallet with your left.
    Steve

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steve- I just spent 2 HRS. cleaning out the snow from our blizzard Monday, so my mother in law can get out. No big deal. Some tractor work, and some scooping. (She lives on the farm, in the other house). Anyway, I took her keys back in to her, and she never said thanks, go to hell, or nothing. I am so proud to be her SOB son in law. LOL. Take care, Charlie

6. senior smoke

Charlie:
    My mother in law was a good woman so was my father inlaw. It's the extended aunts and uncles that I have ill feelings towards.
    Steve

7. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

I have a leech of a sister like this. Cleaned up when step-dad died, cleaned OUT when dad died. We don't speak anymore. Slimy low-life snakes.

8. senior smoke

We all seem to have them. When my father passed away, my brother and I agreed to take what ever we wanted. We told each other have both are children take what ever too. We had no arguments, no ill will.

Now when my inlaws passed away, there was a feeding frenzy. One sister was cleaning out the place on 3rd shift to get the jump on the others. Money, furniture, anything not bolted to the floor was gone. My wife first thought her parents home was broken into and robbed.

We have not talked or seen them in years until we have to leave today to go to a close relatives funeral. My wife is begging me not to confront them and tell them what I think of them.

I promised my wife that I will not start anything unless they start something. Every family has them. Before my father in law passed away, one sister even purchased a new leather chair for him that she knew he would hate and give it to her.

She also charged him $100.00 for gas as the chair now resides in her home. I hate low lifes for their devious ways as well as their plotting skills and techniques that they use.
    Steve

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

When my mother in law was slipping further into dementia, her sisters tried to take her power of attorney away from her children (my wife and her brother). They also wanted to talk her into changing her will to exclude her children and name themselves as beneficiary's. They almost succeeded.

10. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I met a woman that told me that in her mother's will she left absolutely no worldly possessions to her children. Her dying wish in her will was that she and her siblings play poker for the most coveted of her remaining possessions. She told me there was no fighting when her mother died, only memories, a few beers, tears, and poker. Seems like a nice way to go to me. Kim

11. senior smoke

Kim:
    That's a good idea. Before I retired I was in the banking profession. Over the years, I had personally witnessed families being destroyed by greed. Brothers and sisters taking each other to court over even a chair.

I had a relative that told his children long before he passed away that he was leaving every penny he had to his church and they would not get a dime. I find it very ironic how some children feel that their parent's money is some how theirs?
    Steve

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've seen greed rear it's ugly head in the best of families.

I won't go into any particulars, but it does happen.

Myself, I haven't associated with my brothers and sister for 25 years.

I don't need people like that in my life.

It's been said, and it's true............You can pick your friends but you don't get to pick your relatives.

I have friends that are closer to me than my own siblings. Nuff said there!

Hauxfan!

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

A union brother of mine passed away not too long ago. He had two daughters of his own and a stepdaughter. For whatever reason the stepdaughters name was on his checking account. The day his own daughter found him dead from a heart attack and notified the family of his passing, the stepdaughter emptied his bank accounts and the real daughters had to borrow money to pay for the burial. The stepdaughter didn't attend the funeral and wouldn't talk to the other girls. They went to the states attorney and were told there were no laws broken. Be careful who you trust that person could put a financial burden on the rest of the family.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

When my mother passed she had willed all of her personal posessions to me. The wife and I had no use for a great percentage of it.I told my kids and grandkids that they could have it-----but--- if there was the least hint of disagreement or an argument over who got what then whomever was arguing would get nothing.PERIOD ! Worked like a charm. I ended up having to beg my kids to take some of the stuff.

15. senior smoke

My wife and I attended the above mentioned funeral. The woman who takes advantage of the old and frail was there acting like the devoted loving neice.

The elderly brother of the deceased came up to me stating that he has no idea how his brother went through $200,000.00 in one year when the cost per month was $7,000.00?

I saw him go up to the devoted neice asking questions where all the money went and shortly thereafter she left the funeral because she supposedly got ill?

She ran out of the funeral service like marbles bouncing off a table. After the brother talked to other relatives who would listen to his questioning of where is all his brothers money, a call was placed by relatives to the devoted neice, with no return calls.

Here in Wisconsin we have women prisons and she should be in one of them. Found out that on the other side of the family another elderly aunt is now ill and guess who volenterred to take care of her and handle all of her financial affairs?

It's good paying work if you can get it, I guess?
    Steve

16. Byrrrdmann

Byrrrdmann Member

I'm an only child and my mother makes it perfectly clear that if she doesn't leave me with any bills I should consider myself lucky! Tony Generose

17. momma91304

momma91304 TS Member

Those who do the least want the most--I've seen it many times. I don't know where kids get the idea that they are entitled to anything..not happening with my estate. All buttoned up.
    David's mom

18. senior smoke

I remember years ago watching an episode of the Cosby show. Theo his son, asked his dad if they were rich? He said I'm rich, your not.

This spoiled neice is the youngest of the siblings in the family. I sometimes feel there is a correlation between the youngest child of a family and greed.

I have seen and heard about a few of the youngest of a family, as some feel because they leave their parents house last, anything that the parents have belongs to them.

My father was a coin collector for most of his life. My mother did not want the coins as she said your father wanted you boys to split them up. I offered my brother to take the 500 silver morgan dollars in his collection or his gold coins? He decided to take the gold coins.

Now that gold has sky rocketed my brother has offered to give me back some gold coins because they are worth more than the silver coins. I told him not neccessary, should you need to sell them for any reason let me know and I will purchase them from you if I can afford it.

I'm proud of my younger brother for offering, as some siblings would not make the offer. I learned a long time ago, family is more important than money. Nothing worse than familes arguing over money left by parents.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.