1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with oily shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Mason, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Mason

Bob Mason TS Member

How do you deal with oily shot and light shot drops?I am expieriencing light drops and crimps that are not closing all the way do to the shot bushing getting gummed up every couple hundred rounds i run thru my hornady366.Is there a way to rinse the shot or put a nonstick coating on the bushing.

Thanks
    Bob Mason

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wash shot with soap and water. Let dry. Get a 1 lb bottle of powdered graphite from your local John Deere Store. Put about 20 lbs of shot in a plastic jug with one or two teaspoons of graphite and shake well before using. HMB

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This is what generally happens when a person making shot doesn't wash the coolant off of the shot.

ss

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Bob, we are assuming it's home made shot or maybe reclaim? If it is HMB has the best way of dealing with it.

Ajax

5. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I had some problems with home made shot that I cooled with crop oil. FINALLY I started soaking my shot in gasoline (scares heck out of me) and then rinsing in water two or three times. You can tell when you have it right if you can put some shot in your palm and rubbing it with the other hand and there is no oil left in your hand. I would strongly suggest the graphite be left off. My RCBS GRAND and PW's won't run graphited shot for long without bridging in the drop tube, even one tea spoon per 25# tumbled in a cement mixer. Clean dry shot with out graphint does just as good as home made. I have only run about a 55 gallon drum of shot so I think I have a pretty good idea of what works.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

What Jim said. My RCBS Grand choked up once on Lawrence shot that had too much graphite on it.

Ed

7. Bob Mason

Bob Mason TS Member

Thanks to all that have replied and it it is home made shot i am dealing with.

Bob Mason

8. plinker611

plinker611 Member

thats why i like dot 3 brake fluid,rinses with water,and i use 1 teaspoon per 150 lbs of shot in my cement mixer, and it comes out like black chrome,1 tsp per 25 lbs is way too mutch.mark

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I had the same problem with my shot when i used hydraulic fluid. Gasoline was the best solution for me, although i hated the smell and the cost of it. I switched to brake fluid, it may be a little more expensive than other coolants, but its much easier to work with. Also, as others have stated, graphite is a big help.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Stay away from the volatile solvents (gasoline, acetone ....) They are all dangerous and toxic if you huff enough of it.

Hot water with Dawn dish detergent will take care of the problem just fine. Rinse, dry, graphite.

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What's the perceived problem with oily shot?

If anything it might pattern tighter.

regards

12. plinker611

plinker611 Member

jbmou,i have 12 gallons of dot 3 in my tank,all free,if you go to auto dealerships,or good independent shops,they will have brake flush systems,the drain tank holds 5 gallons,and evry time we do a flush we reprime the machine with new fluid,30-40% in scrap tank is new dot3, most service mgrs. if asked will give it to you,mark jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.