1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with Government Stupidity - please help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 1290FPS, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Looking for helpful ideas from anyone that has succesfully overcome the idiots that run our govt agencies.

In April (2010) I received a parking ticket from the city of Baltimore. I have not been to Baltimore in years, and did not recognize the tag/vehicle on the ticket. I contacted the State MVA and found that the tag was one that was on a GMC pickup that I owned years ago & sold in 1988. MVA provided me with a letter stating that I surrendered that plate to the MVA in 1988. I forwarded this letter with an appeal to the City of Baltimore in April. I received a reply from Balt;

"The Bureau of transportation has returned your correspondence stating that the investigation did not reveal conditions that would warrant invalidation of this citation".

The original ticket was $27.00 Each month it goes up $16.00 Hell may not freeze, but it will surely accquire room temp. before I pay this ticket. This is either incompetance, arrogance, or both on behalf of these Officials in Bald-ee-more. In any case, someone needs to be released from their job security in Charm City.

Would be grateful for productive thoughts/ideas.
    Nick

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Good luck. Eventually you will receive a summons in the mail.(Certified)

Where do you live? And how hard will it be for you to appear in court with the letter stating you have not had that tag since 1988??

You will get the case dismissed, but your time will be piddled away.

3. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

I had the same trouble about 2 years ago. Mine was somewhere in Southern California. I live in Wyoming and had never had the vehicle any closer to California than Northern Colorado. Plus several other things were wrong with it...I tried jumping through all there little hoops and never accomplished anything. I ended up going to the local Sheriff and after a couple of phone calls he managed to make it go away. Might be worth a try if all else works. Good luck!

4. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Am I understanding this correctly? You received a parking ticket for a vehicle you don't own, with a registration plate that you cancelled and returned back in 1988 (22 years ago) and when one government agency provided proof of this so you could submit it as evidence to another government agency that it could not be your vehicle, the second government agency refused to accept the official word of the first government agency and admit to a mistake and withdraw the ticket. Instead the second government agency tells you to pay up or else the fine amount will continue to grow.
    Unfortunately you will need to hire an attorney who knows how to climb up the ladder high enough to find somebody with some basic reading skills and enough intelligence to recognize what a mistake they are making. Sadly, this will cost you money, perhaps as much or more then the accumulated fine.
    Parking enforcement is nothing more than a revenue generator for cities, they don't care about fairness or competence. If you have never had to deal with the mental midgets in a parking enforcement department you will be stunned at the monumental stupidity, incompetence and arrogance you are about to discover.
    I wish you lots of luck and patience.

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Send a copy of all this to the Baltimore newspaper and ask for their opinion.Might be really interesting!

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would let them know it is illegal to pursue a frivolous action, which theirs most certainly is.

The local radio and TV stations might like to give their leaders some publicity about their mentality.

HM

7. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Was in Daytona several years ago. Was shown where to park by a cop. He parked me and several more in a no parking zone as there was a big crowd uptown. Not feeling good about it I took his tag number and asked for his badge number which he gladly gave. Yeap, got back and it was towed. Any car with a Florida tag was left and any out of state tag was gone. After a 2-3 hour walk across the bridge I found my car "guarded" by two goons in a camper with a couple dogs lit at night by a coleman lattern.They were REALLY proud of the side arms they carried. I paid my tow fine and got my car. I called every jerk in Daytona government all the way to the mayor about the ticket. H*ll will freeze over before I EVER pay that ticket.

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Do what you have to do to get the ticket to go away and then sue them in small claims court(if it's legal....I understand you need the government's permission to sue them) then just present your evidence. One word though...Document, Document, Document. Everything! Get a notarized letter from your wife and all who can't attend proceedings as to how much crap you went through to get this fixed. Good luck...stick it to them.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

9. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Government racket

10. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

I would find out who issued the ticket and speak to them. I would explain what has happened and they should be able to help. Their id number and name should be on it. I'm curious, did the Baltimore city court send you that response? Also the city attorney's office could also help. I would be surprised if the city attorney blew you off.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Check out the local stations and newspapers for a consumer affairs reporter and contact them. Maybe a little public em-bare-ass-ment will wake somebody up at the parking enforcement racket. Failing that, see if there is a local conservative talk show host with a hard on for government stupidity and mail him your story and copies of the documentation and letters. Might as well have some fun with this.

BTW, which Baltimore... Ohio or Maryland?

12. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Thanks for the input guys, Definetly some good advice here.
    This ticket and all subsequent correspondence was issued by the City of Baltimore Parking fine Section - Bureau of Revenue Collections Baltimore, Md.
    This was no honest mistake or simple oversight. This is govt corruption at its finest. I am sure this happens to innocent folks all the time that figure the easiest way to resolution is to pay the bogus ticket. I aim to fight this to the end. I want to see a Baltimore Collections Officials head on a stick.

13. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Are you familiar with the term "kill dozer?"

Google it.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

This may not have much in common with the parking ticket above, but is worth my printing on here. BEWARE on the tickets in the mail!!! They have sent some around here to folks with speeding tickets on the other end of state or just out of state a few months after there trip. Its a small ticket 15-35 dollars or so for speeding or whatever. Aot of these are just paid, as its much easier than fighting for that small fee, for a ticket 500 plus miles away. 3 months later the same person gets a ticket for over 500 dollars for the same ticket!!! Since he/she already paid once, they have already pleaded guilty to the charge and even with the help of a lawyer now they will end up paying overcharged tickets. You see if you read the fine print that fee was just for the clerk end of it. If this helps one person on here it was worth the effort. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

15. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

1290FPS -- FOX news may like this one.

16. tachyon

tachyon Member

A local television station ran a story on the same situation around here. Seems a local received a ticket for a violation in New Orleans. The TV station ran the story and eventually the New Orleans bureaucrats dropped the ticket.

This is becoming a regular revenue stream for some cities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.